Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 and all, you can find my post over in the Forums -> Workshop -> Case Mods -> Retail Cases

I'm buying one of these tonight!
Thanks for reposting that. I had forgotten that it was in retail case mods. It did take a lot of rewiring but the result was really quite good. For those that want to start with a new non-Dell or HP OEM case, this new Rosewill case, FBM-X2 for $35 looks like a good candidate that is very affordable. Reminds me a lot of the Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX case that they sell on Newegg and Amazon for about $23 more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDJ2RW8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Has front USB 2 and 3 that you can connect to the motherboard. The front audio is more complex to configure but can be done. Rewiring the power switch wouldn't be all that difficult. If anyone tries this make sure to post your experience here.

The video shows a $27 price but that would only be when it's on sale. I thinks it's also available on the Rosewill Ebay store.

Last edited:
I'm buying one of these tonight!
Did you buy 3 of these ? If so, do you plan on putting them in Dell cases or 3rd party ones ?
Screen Shot 1.jpg

Did you buy 3 of these ? If so, do you plan on putting them in Dell cases or 3rd party ones ?
View attachment 428228
it wasn’t me! Unfortunately I got called into work (I’m on call this week) and didn’t get around to ordering one yet. I intend to buy only one and put it on the shelf as a spare, until I once again have “leftover” parts accumulated to build another machine. Beauty now is it can serve as a backup part for my Dell 9010 MT or my HP Sleeper PC that I documented in the Retail Cases section of the Workshop forum.

it can serve as a backup part for my Dell 9010 MT or my HP Sleeper PC that I documented in the Retail Cases section of the Workshop forum.
That's a great idea. These will probably sell out fairly quickly at the $12.99 price. 394 of them already sold and 63 left. They don't have an expiration date either.

Same seller, but "9010" motherboard, $14.99

I see in the pics on the listing that the 9010 motherboard has only three instead of four SATA connectors on the mobo. Is this really true? And the 7010 board supports 4x8GB for a total of 32GB, correct?

I see in the pics on the listing that the 9010 motherboard has only three instead of four SATA connectors on the mobo. Is this really true?
The boards they used in the DT and MT versions (9020 didn't have a DT model) of the 9010 were exactly the same size. So the ones that went into the DT chassis had one less sata port. Not sure why. Maybe to justify the higher cost of a 9010. You can look at the attached Dell manuals (end of post #1) to see all the differences.

Screen_Shot_1.jpg

And the 7010 board supports 4x8GB for a total of 32GB, correct?
Dell says that it "officially" only supports 16GB but many people report 32GB working just fine in those. Again, just a stupid thing Dell does to justify charging more money for the 9010s in relation to the 7010s.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the comprehensive answer. Lots of subtle differences from the 9020's. :clap:

Order placed!

Finally had the time to try my hand at building a hackintosh (Dell Optiplex 9010)... it works (but with a couple of hiccups).

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 4.46.25 PM.png

The hiccups I have:

1. Ethernet stops working after sleep mode/hibernate? (I just go to Network and select "Make Service Inactive" > Apply then "Make Service Active" > Apply and all is well.

2. Messages: Cannot send message via SMS to non-Apple sources ~ just freezes @ about 90% (green bar) then I get "Not Delivered". I will review "An iDiot's guide to iMessage".

Also running GeekBench (v5.0.2) I get the following numbers (not sure they are good or not as I have only seen GeekBench 4.x numbers which differ greatly!)

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 10.58.56 AM.png

With all that said I want to thank tonymacx86.com and ALL the contributors. You guys/gals are SMART. And generous with your time and knowledge (I will be making a contibution).

Now to start working on the issues above (any comments/suggestions welcomed!)...

Optiplex 7010 / 9010 MT Motherboard on Sale

This Ebay seller has these at 31% off retail price. Great to have one as a backup or
if you want to install one into your own mATX case. $12.99 price is the best anywhere.

View attachment 428064
The seller trreusegroup (no affiliation with me) has a great feedback rating, free shipping to the USA and ships most anywhere in the world. This price sure beats paying a hundred or more dollars for a used Gigabyte or Asus Ivy Bridge CPU compatible motherboard. When you figure in what shipping costs are, you are getting this for about the cost of a 32GB flash drive. Note that if you have the 7010/9010 DT case version you can still install this in that case. The mobos are the same size in each. If you use your own case the same seller has the I/O shield from Dell for $6.99

The nice part of this deal is that it's a full size mATX board not the smaller SFF size. This has 4 Sata Ports, and 3 PCIe slots. A x16, x4 and x1 slot for all your addon cards. Onboard USB 3.0 header. Dual onboard Displayports and $13 for a Q77 chipset motherboard of this quality is amazing. And it's completely hackintosh compatible with Mac mini 6,1 or 6,2 system def. I believe that @BillyGoatGruff has posted a complete thread on how install this board into a non-Dell mATX case and make everything work properly.

View attachment 428114

If you do want the smaller SFF version of the 7010 board that is selling for $12.95. Can fit easily in smaller mATX cases.
Got one to sit on the shelf!. Will either pair it with an 15-3475s and mount it inside a HP6300MT case!, or just have a backup in case I lose the one inside my G5. I like this board!, it's been comfortable dual booting inside my G5 case for a while now.

I followed the guide exactly and got everything going. I then bought the recommended Azure AW-CE123H after the fact and just popped it in. Is there something else I need to do to see that the card is enabled? I don’t see anything in networking indicating a wifi card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back