Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why not keep it, edit video and learn more and use your 1080 system for gaming ? It shouldn't be that difficult to run with iGPU in headless mode. I haven't had any time to work with that yet but it should be doable. Running iGPU headless is good to have but not mandatory for video work. It simply makes encoding video slower, not the end of the world.
I'm selling my Alienware and got a new 9020 coming in the mail. So I will try again with the new setup too. When using videoproc would it show the IGPU checked which it did and also the AMD? I'm not sure if it was suppose to show both or not. It would always show IGPU but never the 580 and if I disabled the IGPU it would only show the CPU being used. So maybe I did have it working I just didn't know. The 9020 is sff so I don't think the 580 will fit that's another reason why I wanted to change it.

got a new 9020 coming in the mail.
You should watch this evaluation part of a 9020 hackintosh video. Shows how you can edit even 4K video in FCP X with just the HD4600 integrated graphics. He says he bought the 9020 SFF for $35 at a thrift store, made no upgrades and is editing 4K video in Final Cut with no problems. For $5,964 less than the new 2019 Mac Pro, can't beat that deal.

Last edited:
You should watch this evaluation part of a 9020 hackintosh video. Shows how you can edit even 4K video in FCP X with just the HD4600 integrated graphics. He says he bought the 9020 SFF for $35 at a thrift store, made no upgrades and is editing 4K video in Final Cut with no problems. For $5,964 less than the new 2019 Mac Pro, can't beat that deal.

I visit the Goodwill often I got mine for 165 but missing hdd and caddy. If you find it at a local Goodwill they run 50 percent off sales and that's when you get great deals plus you get a monitor and keyboard mouse combo too. Sometimes you get nice monitor with them.

@trs96 so is it worth it to get the Nvidia Quadro nvs 510 2GB? Or would you say the HD 4600 alone is enough?

@trs96 so is it worth it to get the Nvidia Quadro nvs 510 2GB? Or would you say the HD 4600 alone is enough?
If using a single 4K monitor and editing is a hobby the HD4600 is good enough. If you will use 2 or 3 4K monitors and want faster renders then go with the NVS 510 instead.

If using a single 4K monitor and editing is a hobby the HD4600 is good enough. If you will use 2 or 3 4K monitors and want faster renders then go with the NVS 510 instead.
What do you think a good price is for that card?

What do you think a good price is for that card?
Should be around about 70 dollars. Some on Ebay may go for less but make sure you get one in good condition. Note that you may have to buy the mini DP to full DP cables if it doesn't come with them.

Should be around about 70 dollars. Some on Ebay may go for less but make sure you get one in good condition. Note that you may have to buy the mini DP to full DP cables if it doesn't come with them.

Negotiating this one right now what do you think?

Negotiating this one right now what do you think?
Don't forget to add in the price of a low profile bracket and the mini DP to DP cables. Looks like the seller is OK.
I've linked the one from Newegg in my 9020 User Build because it already has the LP bracket included. The LP
brackets on Ebay cost over 8 dollars from US sellers.

Last edited:
Co
Don't forget to add in the price of a low profile bracket and the mini DP to DP cables. Looks like the seller is OK.
I've linked the one from Newegg in my 9020 User Build because it already has the LP bracket included. The LP
brackets on Ebay cost over 8 dollars from US sellers.
Could I use a mini dp to HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back