Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal idle power draw for an RX570 should be around 75W. It may be higher because of what you were doing at the time. Under load, power draw can go as high as 290W. iMac 13,2 is a better match for your CPU but you lose the benefits in your USB function that mac mini 6,1 offers. You'll need to decide which is more important. The config.plist and SSDTs are designed to be used with 6,1 or 6,2.
Oh ok. I havent recognized any difference by now tbh (all USB ports seem to work actually). But why on earth does the GPU consume 75W (or in my case 90-120W) while IDELING which means doing absolutely nothing?? Thats insane!!

**edit

Wow I cant believe the RX570 consumes SO much power... Just did a stress test and you were right, WAY over 300W according to HWMonitor (thats kinda shocking!)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 22.57.55.png

Last edited:
But why on earth does the GPU consume 75W (or in my case 90-120W) while IDELING which means doing absolutely nothing?? Thats insane!!
You can blame the PC gamers for this. They all want better performance in games so the graphics card makers overclock them from the factory. Even the very efficient GTX 1050 Ti uses close to 70W at idle. That is the most popular gaming card for budget gamers. You could try and manipulate how much power it uses on idle, it's not something I've ever attempted with my 570 so I can't help you there.

You could try and manipulate how much power it uses on idle, it's not something I've ever attempted with my 570 so I can't help you there.
This would be cool! Unfortunately I can’t find any tutorial about this.

Wow I cant believe the RX570 consumes SO much power... Just did a stress test and you were right, WAY over 300W according to HWMonitor (thats kinda shocking!)
This is why AMD suggests a 500W or greater PSU to run one of these. In normal everyday use, even when gaming, you won't completely max out the GPU. So the max wattage used is usually closer to 300W. Synthetic tests aren't real world.

I never use mine for just surfing the internet, integrated HD4000 works well for that. Hardly uses any electricity. This is why I highly recommend in the guide that you get a CPU with HD4000, it makes a lot of sense and doesn't cost much.

This is why AMD suggests a 500W or greater PSU to run one of these. In normal everyday use, even when gaming, you won't completely max out the GPU. So the max wattage used is usually closer to 300W. Synthetic tests aren't real world.

I never use mine for just surfing the internet, integrated HD4000 works well for that. Hardly uses any electricity. This is why I highly recommend in the guide that you get a CPU with HD4000, it makes a lot of sense and doesn't cost much.
Yeah true. But as I’m using 2 monitors (one of them is 4k) the iGPU would be to weak for me.

Yeah true. But as I’m using 2 monitors (one of them is 4k) the iGPU would be to weak for me.
Hope you're not paying the electric bill. Especially if this 7010 is on all day long. Put a kill a watt meter on your 4K monitor and see how much current that is pulling too.

Hope you're not paying the electric bill. Especially if this 7010 is on all day long. Put a kill a watt meter on your 4K monitor and see how much current that is pulling too.
Lol in have a server running 24/7 in my house electric bill is no joke.

Just got my new project got a 1tb wd blue ssd.

Attachments

• IMG_20190523_202652.jpg
    IMG_20190523_202652.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 69
Hey guys just taken the plunge and ordered a 7010 running an i7 with 8gb ram, few questions if you dont mind. Not interested in wireless as it hard wired into the modem. Would like BT so i can continue to use my apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, any suggestions? and High Sierra or Mojave for my OS ?currently using a mac mini 2011 so never used Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back