Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issue with that one is that you can't buy it for that price
That one looks to be fairly priced for what you get. One caution flag for me would be the toshiba laptop HDD. Those have very high failure rates so you may want to put an SSD in it. The big PC makers use them in laptops and all in ones because they get the lowest prices for them. Most barely last more than 1 year before failing. Keep that Toshiba as a backup.

The machine wasn't put into service until 2/2014 so if it's only had three years of use the CMOS battery is probably dead or close to it. Just replace it. BIOS will have to be updated too. I would also replace the CPU thermal paste. One thing I also like to see is actual photos instead of stock photos but you can't have everything.

Last edited:
Question for other NVMe SSD owners. Was Trim automatically enabled and does your NVMe section in System Info say Apple SSD Controller ?

Some questions (polling) of this group.

1) Do we know if the HD4000 in the OP7010 DT with i5 3475S will work DP to DP? I am looking for a 27 (or better yet 32") monitor with built in CAMERA, MIC and SPEAKERS to do teleconferencing stuff. Has this been tested?

2) Does anyone have any recommendations for a MFG? Dell makes this one

Dell UltraSharp 27 Multimedia Monitor | UZ2715H

but the monitor is quite old (from 2015) and they appear to have capacitor issues and warping issues. I find that strange that with the known issues of expanding caps (for like 8-10 years) they manufacturers still use them.

3) Has anyone tested a fingerprint reader keyboard, and found it to work in MOJAVE for logging in? What about a fingerprint reader mouse?

Grizz

Do we know if the HD4000 in the OP7010 DT with i5 3475S will work DP to DP
I've only used DP to HDMI on my 1080p monitors. That being said there's no reason why DP to DP won't work.
Don't know your budget restrictions but there is an excellent deal on the LG 32" 1440p monitor right now.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-006N3 for about $225 plus tax.
1558100419505.png Has DP in and mDP in plus two HDMI inputs !

I always prefer using LG IPS monitors because they are easiest on the eyes for longer periods of use. Apple uses LG panels in their iMac lineup too.

There are many webcams that work with macOS you could use with this. I don't think the quality of a Mic built into a monitor would be very good. The built in webcams are also generally low resolution.

If anyone is interested in the LG 32" 4K version in black, it's only about 100 dollars more. Color gamut is wider and you get the telescoping adjustment as well. If I needed a new monitor I'd buy one in a minute. Can't justify it right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H5Z4S8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I've only used DP to HDMI on my 1080p monitors. That being said there's no reason why DP to DP won't work.
Don't know your budget restrictions but there is an excellent deal on the LG 32" 1440p monitor right now.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-006N3 for about $225 plus tax.
There are many webcams that work with macOS you could use with this. I don't think the quality of a Mic built into a monitor would be very good. The built in webcams are also generally low resolution.

I would like to keep it under $200 (maybe $250 if I can find a good one). I have heard that the ones with all the built in stuff can be of lower resolution for the camera, etc. I just DO NOT WANT a headset. I have one of those, and nothing like being on a conf call (people on laptops) and you are the only one who looks like an air traffic controller. :lol:

I do know that I want a 32". I find that 27" is just a little small for my aging eyes when I am working on graphics.

Grizz

I just DO NOT WANT a headset
Why not just plug in some PC speakers to the headphone jack ? If you've got a directional, noise cancelling mic it could work ok. You can connect a USB mic directly into your Dell and have it close to where you sit.

I do know that I want a 32". I find that 27" is just a little small for my aging eyes
There is 0 chance of finding a 32" monitor with a built in webcam for 200 dollars or less. A few 27" ones do have them. They are more often found in 24" 1080p monitors. Those can be found for less than $200 the larger 27" versions cannot. You might possibly find a used one on Ebay but that is OK but it's always a gamble buying used on Ebay.

There is 0 chance of finding a 32" monitor with a built in webcam for 200 dollars or less. A few 27" ones do have them. They are more often found in 24" 1080p monitors. Those can be found for less than $200 the larger 27" versions cannot. You might possibly find a used one on Ebay but that is OK but it's always a gamble buying used on Ebay.

Agreed...I also found this one HP E273m - which has everything I want - but not sure if the Audio would be via the DP port or require I plug in a cable to the Audio Out of the computer to the Audio In on the monitor. Also kinda kewl that it has a USB built in (USB 3.0). Problem is this monitor is 27" and the camera is 720p (not really an issue for a teleconfrence use).

I would rather stick with DELL. Maybe I find a 32" DELL with DP and USB hub - then plug a separate webcam into the USB ports on it. But I am not averse to another mfg if I can find a good 32" monitor with speakers and USB hub. I hate to have cables running all over the place.....lol

Would love to have a touchscreen monitor like that - but not spending $600-1000 for one of those in this size.

Someone needs to invent a SINGLE Cable/Interface that does it ALL (power, video, audio, etc.).

Grizz

Someone needs to invent a SINGLE Cable/Interface that does it ALL (power, video, audio, etc.
Ever heard of Thunderbolt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back