Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 I just ordered a pcie extender and wifi Dongle to test. Will definitely try this mod. Do you know of any good deals on the smallest form factor for the Dell or hp series? Also I saw on another post someone using a fenvi like card for a lot less. I belive it was 25 will look it up to make sure though. Wondering if it's the same or different build quality / performance. I really do appreciate your help as I love tinkering with stuff and this was a long time in the making but your guide made it so much easier. I gave up on my alienware r5 but might try it again. Thanks once again.

I've made a new post in Deals of the Day about 500 to 512GB NVMe drives. Have a look if you plan on buying one. The HP EX950 512 GB is the best bang for your buck right now. (buck = dollar if you aren't from the US)

If you can run one from your x16 slot with an adapter you'll get the fastest speeds. If you have a dedicated graphics card there install it into the x4 slot with an adapter. Enjoy life in the NVMe "fast lane."

Screen Shot 13.jpg Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know of any good deals on the smallest form factor for the Dell or hp series?
Check Ebay on a regular basis. Make sure the seller has a good reputation and it is in good condition. Sometimes buying the lowest priced one works out sometimes it doesn't. I never buy from a seller with less than 99% positive feedback and they should have at least 5,000 products sold with a history of 2 years or more.

@trs96 I'm looking at getting a usff build for my daughter how loud are they? And can't decide between the i5s and I7. I know you have a usff what would you recommend as far as specs and if they make a noticible difference. Main use would be browsing net YouTube and light gaming.

And can't decide between the i5s and I7
Whatever you get should have HD4000 graphics. Most of the USFFs have the i5-3470S that has HD2500. So either find one with an i5-3475S or get one with the 3770S. Depends on how much you want to spend. Either HP or Dell will work. Ask your daughter which one looks best to her. The noise is not excessive, especially for a younger person that is more used to it.

Whatever you get should have HD4000 graphics. Most of the USFFs have the i5-3470S that has HD2500. So either find one with an i5-3475S or get one with the 3770S. Depends on how much you want to spend. Either HP or Dell will work. Ask your daughter which one looks best to her. The noise is not excessive, especially for a younger person that is more used to it.
Yes I just noticed right now while researching them. I can't hear any noise on my 9010 I7. Also I can't seem to find a definite difference in the 7010 and 9010 any input on that or a site I can check.

Also I can't seem to find a definite difference in the 7010 and 9010 any input on that or a site I can check.
Read the FAQ spoiler section in post #1.

Here's the size difference between the SFF and USFF models. You'll sometimes find better deals on the SFF even though it may have a 3770 instead of the 3770S. The SFF also gives you the dedicated LP graphics card option. I bought both of these on Ebay. The 7010 USFF for about 54 dollars but with a Pentium CPU that I swapped out. The i7 SFF 9010 cost me about 132 dollars. Had 8GB of ram pre-installed. That's what I put a 19 dollar Quadro K600 into. Can do 4K @ 60 Hz.

Also I can't seem to find a definite difference in the 7010 and 9010 any input on that or a site I can check.
As far as I can see the 7010 and 9010 USFF models are exactly the same thing. Just a different number on the case itself.

Here's a 7010 USFF for $115 shipped. You could take out the i5-3470S sell it and get a 3475S for about what you can sell the 3470S for. You'll want to replace the thermal paste and CMOS battery on these anyway so it's not really any extra work to do this.

A 3475S CPU sells for 32 dollars right now on Ebay so it's an inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited:
As far as I can see the 7010 and 9010 USFF models are exactly the same thing. Just a different number on the case itself.

Here's a 7010 USFF for $115 shipped. You could take out the i5-3470S sell it and get a 3475S for about what you can sell the 3470S for. You'll want to replace the thermal paste and CMOS battery on these anyway so it's not really any extra work to do this.

A 3475S CPU sells for 32 dollars right now on Ebay so it's an inexpensive upgrade.
Only issue with that one is that you can't buy it for that price it makes you select the add ons which drive it up. I was looking at this one since it also benefits a charity. And has anyone updated to the newly released os?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back