Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 any recommendations on replacement fans for the case and a new heatsink or just a fan upgrade?
One dumb thing Dell did was use proprietary 5 pin fan headers so the easiest way is to simply use their fans. I've tried the 5 pin to 4 pin adapters and they work but you won't get PWM regulation when using them.

@trs96 I saw a video on YouTube where they cut a opening at the front to put a bigger fan to help push air to the back. Might give that a shot and see what happens. Don't want to change the case just yet. Also I need to buy caddy cages since mine didn't have any sadly. Or is there a alternative to them? Thank you

@trs96 Also I need to buy caddy cages since mine didn't have any sadly. Or is there a alternative to them? Thank you
You can buy the OEM dell ones on Ebay and most other replacement parts. There are huge overstocks of any part you need because so many millions of these were sold worldwide.

@trs96 I saw a video on YouTube where they cut a opening at the front to put a bigger fan to help push air to the back. Might give that a shot and see what happens. Don't want to change the case just yet. Also I need to buy caddy cages since mine didn't have any sadly. Or is there a alternative to them? Thank you
When I transplanted my 7010 MT to my Powermac G4 case which holds a 120mm fan, I was able to use a 120mm Dell Foxconn fan, since the powermac case was set up for that size. No bios errors, so it seems switching sizes are ok as long as you stick with Dell equipment.

@trs96 I just finished my build GPU was way too big lol. Ordering the smaller RX 580, I also ended up ordering a evga 600 psu it's semi modular and it fit like a glove. Everything seems to be working fine and I just want to say I really appreciate the help and the time you put into this tutorial. Another thing I noticed is that my 9010 came with a card reader in the front that is hooked up to the usb 2 header not sure if its possible to get it working. Not sure if this was a option from dell or the previous owner installed it. And once again thank you very much for the awesome guide.

my 9010 came with a card reader in the front that is hooked up to the usb 2 header not sure if its possible to get it working.
I haven't researched card readers with this build yet. I do know that some are macOS compatible and some are not. You'll just have to do some searching to find what brands and models will work. Which RX580 did you have that was too long ? Did it block even the USB 3 header ?

I haven't researched card readers with this build yet. I do know that some are macOS compatible and some are not. You'll just have to do some searching to find what brands and models will work. Which RX580 did you have that was too long ? Did it block even the USB 3 header ?
I bought a sapphire rx 580 nitro plus that was intended to be used on a I7 8700k build. I didn't know how big it was until it got delivered. It's even bigger then my 1080 founders I think.

@trs96 so you have any experience with the Msi rx 580? My concern would be noise level and cooling.

I finally got around to trying my rx 560 in my MT box, piggy backing another power supply in, just for the card, and used a 5 euro PCIe riser card to allow me access to the sata ports.

It works fabulously and Iv'e finally got my fab old Hazro monitor running again, and this time without having to attempt baffling patches for the RX 560.

Previously on my old x58 board I just got a black screen with this card, and Iv'e not found a working DP to DVI-D adaptor that manages to spark up this demanding mono port monitor.

So yet another win on this fab bargain build.

PS
anyone have any problems with the 10.14.5 update or am I good to go?

ta very

@trs96 so you have any experience with the Msi rx 580? My concern would be noise level and cooling.
I would put an extra fan in the front to pull air in and through the case. There are small holes that let air in, just no fan. Personally I would never put a 580 into an Optiplex MT. Not designed for cards this large and power hungry. At most I'd use an ITX RX 570 that fits and is quieter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VSD38Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back