Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were the results ?
Well, you asked so...
No results yet. I canceled my EVO plus order as advised. Silverstone has probably taken the long road from the other side of the planet, although the store is 40 km away from my house (ahh those tourists.... :p) so i am still waiting. It will arrive a bit aged but so experienced... !!. Plan was to wait for the card and then order the EVO 970. Meanwhile i burned my 3930K (!!!) so i returned to my E5-2670 and i am thinking of buying a 1680v2 but these are the money for the EVO.... :mrgreen: what a life....
So as i said, i will report back when i have news. I try to not forget people who helped me :)

Here is a link to my on-going transplant from the 7010 MT tower to the PowerMac G4 Digital Audio case.

Last edited:
Another 16GB G.Skill DDR3 Ram Kit Deal at Newegg
These are selling for $64.95 this week at newegg.com. Fully compatible 1.5V and the lowest CL9 latency you can use with the Dell Optiplex. Just remember that the heatsinks on these do fit in the USFF. These modules don't fit SFF cases (unless you remove the HDD) so buy them only if you have a 7010/9010 USFF, DT or MT PC. This kit maxes out the ram in the USFF. In the DT or MT you can add a second kit now or later on to max out at 32GB of ram.

16GB is the sweet spot for ram. Not so much you'll never use it, not too little so that you run out when it's needed. You want a matched kit for the best performance with macOS. At these prices, it makes more sense to get this kit than an 8GB version. That sells for $45 plus shipping.

1556928041725.png

Last edited:
is it possible to install mojave on my Dell optiplex 7020.
My config is
Cpu: i7-4790 3.6 GHZ
Ram: 16 GB
Storage: 120 GB WG ssd and 500 hdd
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4600

is it possible to install mojave on my Dell optiplex 7020.
My config is
Cpu: i7-4790 3.6 GHZ
Ram: 16 GB
Storage: 120 GB WG ssd and 500 hdd
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4600
Yes, but not with the files provided in this guide. The 7020 uses a completely different chipset. Look for a 7020/9020 guide.

From the comments section of this guide:
Do not use this guide's custom SSDTs and config.plist with the Dell 9010 AIO or the Dell 3020, 7020 or 9020 models. They have been created specifically for the 7010/9010 desktops and nothing else. They don't work with the other Dell models mentioned here.

If you haven't heard about this yet here is the link to learn more about it..

512 GB version of this is $75 USD that is 15 cents per GB for a fast NVMe drive. Average 2.5" sata ssds sell for about 12 cents per GB right now.

Hello, I bought dell 7010 SFF with i7 3770 with full package of dell monitor, keyboard and mouse.
the thing is, This dell monitor only has VGA input.

When using Intel HD 4000 Graphics, Should I buy DP to VGA Adapter and use this monitor, or I need too buy another monitor that has HDMI/DP input?

and also, Can I use PCIE 16x Extension Cable because I have MSI RX560 ITX version and connect it outside of the case :)

Thanks.

I finally got my 9010 SFF build done. Here's a link to a post I made overviewing what I did to fit the WiFi+BT combo card and connect the BT to the external USB (3 options). There's a link there at the beginning pointing back to this excellent thread, which was of course my motivation and guide to get this done.

Should I buy DP to VGA Adapter and use this monitor, or I need too buy another monitor that has HDMI/DP input?
If the quality of the old Dell monitor is good enough you could use it. It's just your personal preference. It should work with a DP to VGA adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back