Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I expected to see. Upload your Clover Folder as zip. Did you use an SSDT for CPU PM ? Is it correct for the 3770 S ?
I used the files from this guide, so maybe not?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
I used the files from this guide
It think you may have gotten your config.plists mixed up or tried different settings. You could have used one for the HP 8300 instead. You definitely want to use Mac mini 6,1 SMBIOS and Audio Layout ID 21.

So redownload the config.plist attached to post #1. Try that, if it works, then do the iMessage setup part of the guide in step #7.

It think you may have gotten your config.plists mixed up or tried different settings. You could have used one for the HP 8300 instead. You definitely want to use Mac mini 6,1 SMBIOS and Audio Layout ID 21.

View attachment 402491

So redownload the config.plist attached to post #1. Try that, if it works, then do the iMessage setup part of the guide in step #7.
This is an edited version of the config.plist. Audio layout ID 21 does not work with this motherboard. I tested every single possible setting for audio layout possible for ALC269 and only 11 and 15 provide audio out to the side headphone port and the internal speakers of the AIO. I could never get the rear audio port to work at all. Took about 3 hours of changing layout ID and rebooting :p.
I can switch back to Mac mini 6,1... however, iMac13,1 also has i7-3770S that year.. why is macmini6,1 preferred? Motherboard is Q77 chipset, but definitely different with LDVS onboard and HDMI out. It’s been quite the challenge to get the screen working and I’m not sure I learned how to use the Hackintool quite completely. Graphics definitely wonky with the platform ID and trying to define the ports by type, etc.

Graphics definitely wonky with the platform ID and trying to define the ports by type, etc.
This is why I've only ever recommended the standalone desktops and not the AIO. I never considered testing one for inclusion in this guide. The AIO 9010s have a low quality 1080p TN panel that can't be changed. There is a lengthy article about this on the Anandtech website that was written when these were initially released. To sum it up, they liked it but felt that the low cost TN panel was it's weakest link.
I can switch back to Mac mini 6,1... however, iMac13,1 also has i7-3770S that year.. why is macmini6,1 preferred?
iMac 13,x is the best matching SMBIOS for this hardware but the 2012 iMac has some custom ports implemented from Apple into USBPort native macOS kext, which makes it a poor choice for use with this hackintosh.
The config.plist, SSDTs and especially the USB-SSDT were created for the 2012 Mac mini system def. So it may be that you'd need to go through the process of mapping the ports for the AIO to create a unique USB-SSDT that works with Mac mini 6,2.

Last edited:
I've revised part of the beginning comments section so it now goes like this:
The Dell Optiplex 3010 models use the older Intel H61 chipset. You might get macOS installed with this guide but they won't work reliably. Avoid using this guide for the Optiplex 3010. Do not use this guide's custom SSDTs and config.plist with the Dell 9010 AIO or the Dell 3020, 7020 or 9020 models. They have been created specifically for the 7010/9010 desktops and their Q77 chipset. They don't work with the other Dell models mentioned above.

I had hoped that putting the picture of the 4 models USFF, SFF, DT and MT right at the beginning would send a clear message that this guide was only meant for these 4 machines from Dell and no others.

Last edited:
I've revised part of the beginning comments section so it now goes like this:

I had hoped that putting the picture of the 4 models USFF, SFF, DT and MT right at the beginning would send a clear message that this guide was only meant for these 4 machines from Dell and no others.
@trs96, you’ve obviously seen my posts praising your guide. Your work inspired me to complete every Optiplex 9010, and I know I went off script to try the AIO. I am working on it merely for fun of the challenge. I posted with questions here about the performance mostly because this thread has been an excellent conversation and had a matching post about geekbench scores when I did a search. Perhaps that was inappropriate, and really it belongs in a thread of its own. Obviously I’m new to this space, both hackintoshing and the etiquette of tonymacx86.

Perhaps that was inappropriate, and really it belongs in a thread of its own. Obviously I’m new to this space, both hackintoshing and the etiquette of tonymacx86.
It's not a problem. Your researching this here will be helpful to others if they want to try and get the AIO working. It would seem that it should be similar to install the same way that works for 9010 desktops but that is not the case. The difference between the AIO Dell and the other form factors is that the built in monitor gives the AIO characteristics of a laptop that have to be dealt with. That is what makes the 9010 AIO install and post install more complicated to figure out.

Anyway, these posts are related enough to be on topic and will help others make a decision whether or not to try this. When you do figure it out it certainly would be good to post a User Build specific to this 9010 AIO. That's what we're all about here, doing research and posting the results for others to learn from. Finding one in good condition for a really low price may be a good option for those who want an alternative to the high priced used iMacs that are available.

To look at this from another angle, the guide I've posted here gives the reader everything in it's finished form. It makes it almost too easy. They only learn some basics. It's like a hackintosh 101 course. By choosing the AIO you've been able to learn a lot more than what you could with your other 4 Dells. More like taking an advanced class. If you're interested in taking on bigger challenges that's great and how you learn to make things work by trial and error. If you keep trying you'll eventually get it fully working.

Last edited:
I am looking for the cheapest solution to build a Hackintosh into an old eMac. CRT is already replaced with an LCD, so there is room to fit a small system. Is it feasible to use the components from an Optiplex and replace the cooler?

I am looking for the cheapest solution to build a Hackintosh into an old eMac. CRT is already replaced with an LCD, so there is room to fit a small system. Is it feasible to use the components from an Optiplex and replace the cooler?
If you look at the USFF motherboard and it's stock Dell cooler on Ebay listings you'll see that it could probably work inside an eMac. Dell has used 5 pin fan headers on all of these motherboards and you need to use their coolers/fans to get any kind of PWM control of fan speeds. The 5 to 4 pin adapters don't really give you any PWM regulation of fan speeds.

It looks like the board was based on mini-stx form factor. The shape is modified some for the Dell case it came in.

Here's the custom Dell copper heatsink an cooler fan. I've ran mine fanless and the temps stayed low enough. These can be found for about 10 dollars on Ebay. I would stay with this for a cooler.

The 80+ gold psu for these is also worth buying. Mine is quiet and its rated 200W so it can handle an i7-3770s easily.

Sounds like an interesting and fun case mod project. Let us know how this works out. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back