Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/133012026761 Put in a note to the seller. "Make sure to send the K600 and not the 600 as I can't use the latter." They identify it correctly in their pictures and title (VCQK600-T) as the PNY version. They do also sell the 600 model so I don't want another mixup again. I hate sending stuff back when it isn't what I've ordered.
Did you happen to check if the K600 will come with a low-profile bracket? It looks to be pictured with full height.

Did you happen to check if the K600 will come with a low-profile bracket? It looks to be pictured with full height.
I've got another old AMD card that came with my 9010 SFF so I'll be using the bracket from that. The seller doesn't mention anything about a LP bracket. You could ask them to throw one in with the card. Many sellers will do that.
If not you can either order it for $7.88 or just get an AMD 6450 LP for about 10 dollars and swap brackets.

Last edited:
An alternative is this cable, if you don't need 2 additional headers inside your Optiplex SFF.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4QZW57/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
EDIT: I have unlinked the Amazon link - Actually, I am going to order this and check the pin-outs - the description on Amazon leads me to believe this will not work.
I have confirmed that this cable will work plugged into a USB type A port to present a 9-pin USB header and will work with common PCIe WiFI+BT cards that need USB connectivity to a USB header.
USB-A-to-9pin-header.jpg
I tested this with this card -> Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCI-E 867Mbps 802.11AC BT4.0 Wifi PCI-Express Adapter Card. I own three of these cards; they are completely hackintosh compatible.

The example for this use case is the Dell Optiplex Small Form Factor (SFF), which does not have an internal 9-pin USB header.

WARNING: The product description says "Only The Bottom 5 Pins Are Wired To The USB Connector Intended For Single USB". THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT. ALL of the USB header pins are wired (excepting pin 10, -no connection, and pin 9, -the key pin).

The single USB A connector has only 4 wires. This cable connects those 4 wires to both "sides" of the 9-pin header. So BOTH Pin 1 and Pin 2 above each have the same +5V DC. BOTH Pin 7 and Pin 8 are connected to the same Ground. BOTH Pin 3 and Pin 4 are the SAME D-. Likewise BOTH Pin 5 and Pin 6 are the SAME D+.

Again, this cable connects a single USB type A port and presents it to BOTH sides of the USB header pins at the other end of the cable.

MOST of the USB connector cables that come with the PCIe WiFi + BT cards connect 4 wires to a 9-pin header connector. The rest of the header pins have no connection on those internal card->header cables.
wifi card.jpg

The product described here, the CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable, because it presents the USB type A port to both sides of the header, will work with cables included WiFi+BT cards regardless of which "side" of the 9-pin header connector they have wired. THIS IS A GOOD THING FOR SINGLE CONNECTING DEVICES. A "true" motherboard USB 9-pin header will have a USB "port" on each "side" of the header. It is possible for any card manufacturer to wire their specific internal USB connecting cable to use either side of the header. Some manufacturers use a full 9-pin header connector, while others use only a 5-pin or 4-pin connector, so as to only occupy 1/2 of the motherboard USB header, leaving the other available for some other card to use. In this WiFi+BT card connection use-case, this cable is fine.
Do NOT use this cable to connect to cards which require TWO independent USB ports to be presented to the 9-pin header pins. This cable only connects the one, to both sides. It is NOT a USB hub, obviously.

A good, solid, inexpensive solution if all you need is a single USB connection and you don't have a header on your motherboard. Just route the cable to an available USB type A connector/port.

A good, solid, inexpensive solution if all you need is a single USB connection and you don't have a header on your motherboard. Just route the cable to an available USB type A connector/port.
How do you route this cable through the back grille of the SFF case ? Also, how is the range for BT and Wifi with this adapter card ? That CRJ 9 pin cable looks to be very well made. Price is good too. Had you tried others from Ebay that didn't work ?

How do you route this cable through the back grille of the SFF case ? Also, how is the range for BT and Wifi with this adapter card ? That CRJ 9 pin cable looks to be very well made. Price is good too. Had you tried others from Ebay that didn't work ?
I routed the WiFi+BT included cable through the unused hole in the WiFi+BT backplate. This card is a 2 antenna card; the included backplate has three holes. The head of the JST 1.25mm connector is small enough to just squeeze through. Leaving the 9-pin header connector outside the case.
IMG_9588.jpegIMG_9589.jpeg

I have some JST 1.25mm 4-pin connectors on order... My intent is to custom build a direct, single USB cable by cutting the end off from an old (older the better, thicker wires, all 4 wires present!) USB cable and putting the JST 1.25mm connector on the end. That solution will eliminate the need to purchase the CJR cable at all, and also eliminates the USB 9-pin header connection dangling from the rear of the case.

sry trs - realised you were not talking with me and edited that post. Power management seems to be fine - the only issue is the keyboard/mouse doesnt wake it up and I have to press power button to wake.
Are they in a usb 2.0 slot? That fixed it for me.

So Update to those following the M.2 Silverstone and Drive challenges.

I attempted this weekend on my 2nd OP7010 DT to install the Silverstone ECM20 (M.2 and SATA expansion card) and SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2 drive. Here's the scoop.

I have learned that the OP7010 (has Ivy Bridge chipset, and booting from M.2 was not supported fully until HASWELL). Even though I have upgraded the CPU to the i7-3770, the machine is not going to boot from the M.2.

I reset the BIOS, put the Silverstone in SLOT 1, and booted the machine. First tried LEGACY and while there is a INTERNAL HDD shown in the boot options - it is not the M.2. I have, BTW, disconnected the HDD which was in the device - and the CDROM is connected to the middle SATA connector (SATA-1). I can boot from the WIN10 USB and install fine to the M.2 drive, and it gets all the way to the end, and reboots. Then sees no installed software - does not boot. :banghead:

So... I RESET the BIOS again, changed to UEFI, and Enabled LEGACY support. All other settings are at the default. REBOOTED, press <F12> - no bootable media found. Booted again with the WIN10 USB and reinstalled again. Gets to the end, remove the USB, and let it reboot. Will not BOOT from the M.2. :banghead:

In the UEFI boot menu of the BIOS, there is no Silverstone seen, or the SAMSUNG EVO 970 either.

I have an email in to SILVERSTONE and SAMSUNG (to which I am sure I will get a canned answer from them). We shall see.

Shame that even though the OP7010 is a 2012 machine, and the BIOS is from JULY 2018- this is not working. :think:

As I learn more - will update all of you following.

Probably why the MAC OSX is not booting from the M.2 either - apparently it is a hardware / BIOS Hook issue.

Grizz

Probably why the MAC OSX is not booting from the M.2 either - apparently it is a hardware / BIOS Hook issue.
You might have missed the post on how to use Clover to boot macOS on an M.2 NVMe drive. Clover should be on a Sata based SSD or regular HDD. You boot from that first and then select your M.2 drive at the CBM. A few people already have done this. Of course the Evo Plus is not a good choice for a macOS install, only for Windows. So in your case, install Clover bootloader on another hard drive in your Windows version Optiplex 7010. Put the NVMe driver in the correct place, drivers64UEFI. See what happens. If you need more help you can post in the Windows support forum here and Going Bald should be able to help you out.

You can use Clover on another Windows drive or connect a macOS SSD with Clover via sata in your Windows Opti7010.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
I tried it on High Sierra booting legacy and it was disappointing at best. I was only using HD3000 graphics so that may be a part of the problem. Anyway, I've got other builds running HS and Mojave quite well so I don't plan on updating to UEFI and messing with updating it.
FWIW, I have this board running the latest UEFI BIOS, Core i3-2105, and an NVS 510 on 10.14.4. The first Hack I ever built, and it's still running great. Probably the most dependable one I've ever built honestly :lol: Running since 2011, it's also been on HD3000 and a GT 640 over the years. Got the NVS 510 for Luna Display and native Mojave support.

FWIW, I have this board running the latest UEFI BIOS, Core i3-2105, and an NVS 510 on 10.14.4. The first Hack I ever built, and it's still running great. Probably the most dependable one I've ever built honestly :lol: Running since 2011, it's also been on HD3000 and a GT 640 over the years. Got the NVS 510 for Luna Display and native Mojave support.
Yes, I think using a compatible Kepler card like the NVS 510 or an AMD RX 5xx card is the best way to run Mojave. My Z68 has been rock solid for 7+ years now. I may eventually flash it to UEFI BIOS but haven't gotten around to that. Still using HD3000 so no Mojave on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back