Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
K600- just bought one in the Uk from this link on ebay and swapped it straight in hoping it would just work - it didnt. Sticker shows K600 and the only thing I have tried so far is to change the BIOS to boot Nvidia graphics first.
Not got any time atm for fiddling but if anyone has any advice ... thanks.

EDIT: Solved: See below - changed sys def to iMac14,3

Last edited:
K600- just bought one in the Uk from this link on ebay and swapped it straight in hoping it would just work - it didnt. Sticker shows K600 and the only thing I have tried so far is to change the BIOS to boot Nvidia graphics first.
Not got any time atm for fiddling but if anyone has any advice ... thanks
I had ordered one. The seller listed it as K600 but it was just a Quadro 600 which is Fermi. I sent it back and the seller didn't have any actual K600s so I've not tested the K version. One person here reported this:
My Quadro K600 worked out of the box in Mojave - no tweaking or additional drivers necessary - and was able to push 4K at 60Hz just fine. I still need a half-height PCIe bracket for it, but it seems a very happy camper.
Thank you for this guide: it is easily the most straightforward Hackintosh install I've done to date.
Audio, USB, Ethernet, Graphics, and Sleep all seem to work perfectly.

You might try a temporary switch to an iMac system def. to see if that works. Obviously Mac minis from 2012 didn't have dedicated graphics cards from Nvidia like the iMacs did then. Maybe try it on a High Sierra system too.

Last edited:
You might try a temporary switch to an iMac system def. to see if that works. Obviously Mac minis from 2012 didn't have dedicated graphics cards from Nvidia like the iMacs did then.
Spot on with the answer, thanks. Manually changed in clover at boot time from MacMini6,2 to iMac14,2 and the K600 came straight up. Will be trying out over the next few days.

Last edited:
I finally got my 9010 MT build done. Here's a link to a post I made overviewing what I did to fit all the things I wanted into the case. There's a link there at the beginning pointing back to this excellent thread, which was of course my motivation and guide to get this done. This machine is about to become my daily driver.

I finally got my 9010 MT build done.
That took a lot of creative thinking to pull this off ! The idea for mounting the Fenvi Wifi card is brilliant. Glad to see that the Seasonic PSU worked out too. Nice job. You're the first person I've seen with nearly every version of the Dell 9010. Why no 9010 SFF ? Just kidding.

Last edited:
That took a lot of creative thinking to pull this off ! The idea for mounting the Fenvi Wifi card is brilliant. Glad to see that the Seasonic PSU worked out too. Nice job. You're the first person I've seen with nearly every version of the Dell 9010. Why no 9010 SFF ? Just kidding.
Thanks. I am working on the SFF. Don’t have it working yet so I haven’t listed yet :)
I just received the Nvidia Quadra K600, so I’m ready to start the build. My SFF is an i5 3470.

@trs96 - how well is your Z68MA-D2H-B3 system working compared to the Dells and HPs? I have that board on another computer, but it's all the way back on Yosemite. I was thinking of updating the bios to UEFI and getting it up to at least High Sierra - maybe mojave if I find another cheap Geforce 710.

@trs96 - how well is your Z68MA-D2H-B3 system working compared to the Dells and HPs? I have that board on another computer, but it's all the way back on Yosemite. I was thinking of updating the bios to UEFI and getting it up to at least High Sierra - maybe mojave if I find another cheap Geforce 710.
I tried it on High Sierra booting legacy and it was disappointing at best. I was only using HD3000 graphics so that may be a part of the problem. Anyway, I've got other builds running HS and Mojave quite well so I don't plan on updating to UEFI and messing with updating it.

I had ordered one. The seller listed it as K600 but it was just a Quadro 600 which is Fermi. I sent it back and the seller didn't have any actual K600s so I've not tested the K version. One person here reported this:

You might try a temporary switch to an iMac system def. to see if that works. Obviously Mac minis from 2012 didn't have dedicated graphics cards from Nvidia like the iMacs did then. Maybe try it on a High Sierra system too.

View attachment 400330
I received my eBay purchase of an Nvidia Quadro K600. I can’t get booted... How can I tell if this is really a K600 or just a 600?? I am looking at the sticker on the card and it only says Quadro 600 s/n blah blah

I received my eBay purchase of an Nvidia Quadro K600. I can’t get booted... How can I tell if this is really a K600 or just a 600?? I am looking at the sticker on the card and it only says Quadro 600 s/n blah blah
The seller may have listed it wrong. If the label doesn't say K600 it's the older Fermi based 600 version. You can also boot into windows and check it with GPU-Z to make sure of what it is. The Quadro 600 is not supported in Mojave. The picture from the link I posted shows the K600 on the top edge of the shroud but maybe the seller just used a stock picture.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Here's another way to tell one from the other. Look at the capacitors on the front and how they are arranged.

This is the K600

Screen Shot 11.jpg This is the 600 model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back