Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you buy used or refurbished to get that price ?
The USB 2.0 Header 1 to 2 Port 9-Pin Male Extension Cable 9 Pin Multiplier Splitter was US $7.99 new with free shipping (unbranded/Generic) from seller dozens_of_deals on eBay.

The Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCI-E 867Mbps 802.11AC BT4.0 Wifi PCI-Express Adapter Card was US $25.99 new plus $1.25 shipping from seller angiesonki (ships from China in about 2-3 weeks).

1 to 2 Port 9-Pin Male Extension Cable 9 Pin Multiplier Splitter
Where did you put this ? Inside the case or outside ? I've also got an SFF but haven't installed one yet.

Where did you put this ? Inside the case or outside ? I've also got an SFF but haven't installed one yet.
I intent to put the USB header against the PSU with the included double-sided sticky tape.

Attachments

• IMG_9565.jpg
    IMG_9565.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 99
I intent to put the USB header against the PSU with the included double-sided sticky tape.
Looks like the best solution. Lucky that you got the 80+ Gold PSU with yours. I got standard efficiency.

Looks like the best solution. Lucky that you got the 80+ Gold PSU with yours. I got standard efficiency.

Its a nice 9010 SFF with i5 3470. eBay find for $71 + $16.73 shipping. Looking for an inexpensive i5 3475S or even 3770 now so I can have HD 4000. Or possibly super cheap low profile 710? Anyway booting fine with 0x12345678 ig-platform so that I can test Wifi+BT and the USB adapter that you recommended.

Looking for an inexpensive i5 3475S or even 3770 now so I can have HD 4000. Or possibly super cheap low profile 710?
Another option is the Quadro K600. Gives you 4K via DP for only 19 dollars. Is not silent though if that matters.

Note that there are also Quadro 600 cards that are not Kepler based so it must have a K before the 600.

Another option is the Quadro K600. Gives you 4K via DP for only 19 dollars. Is not silent though if that matters.

Note that there are also Quadro 600 cards that are not Kepler based so it must have a K before the 600.
Nice. I pulled the trigger and ordered it. $19 way cheaper than i7 3770 currently and I really just want this to be a general purpose machine; no taxing it at all. Thanks!

How to add an extra internal USB 2.0 header
If you own the Optiplex DT or MT you know that Dell only provides one internal USB 2 header. For about 6 dollars (from China) you can add a second one. This allows you to connect two devices like a Wifi/BT card and a card reader inside your case. Not sure why Dell only provided one whereas HP models have two onboard in the 6300/8300. This is a simple solution. You'll just need to find a place for it inside your case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q8685Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

What if I have the SFF Optiplex and no internal USB 2.0 header inside my case ?
There's a solution for that as well. Use an external USB 2 port and put this inside of your case for 2 USB 2 headers.
An easy solution for not a lot of money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC8JV12/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
View attachment 397550
If you don't want to wait weeks for shipment from China you can find one US seller on ebay.
An alternative is this cable, if you don't need 2 additional headers inside your Optiplex SFF.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4QZW57/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
EDIT: I have unlinked the Amazon link - Actually, I am going to order this and check the pin-outs - the description on Amazon leads me to believe this will not work.

Last edited:
I have ordered 2 of these. Should be here FRI - 19 APR.
Thanks for sharing
Grizz
Maxing it out to run VMs in Windows ? Good thing you got the DT and not a SFF version Dell. Can't use these in the SFF unless you completely remove the HDD tray in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back