Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi randompurplehippo, hi trs96. trs96 is right, I created a fusion drive with a Kingspec 128 GB M.2 NVMe drive and a WD 500 GB HDD. After reading this thread, Super-cheap NVMe fusion drive using Dell 7010 Q77 motherboard, (my post with screenshots are on page 3). But I couldn't successfully install Mojave on the fusion drive. But I did get Mojave to boot from the NVMe drive, before fusion, like you said.
OS is installed on the NVMe drive. The system cannot natively boot NVMe so I have Clover installed on a secondary drive. When system boots Clover recognizes the macOS disk and boots the system. Overall, it's working very very good. In order for Clover to recognize NVMe, I had to add the NVMe efi driver to Drivers64UEFI folder.

After reading this guide, [Guide] How to install High Sierra on a Fusion Drive. I probably should of stuck to installing High Sierra. Am I right in thinking that Apple stopped support for Fusion drives in Mojave, because of problems with the APFS file format.

Am I right in thinking that Apple stopped support for Fusion drives in Mojave, because of problems with the APFS file format.

The newest 21.5 inch iMac has a fusion drive upgrade option. The fusion drive is standard on the 27" iMac so it has to be supported in Mojave. APFS seems to work ok on mechanical drives now. Mojave converts them to APFS during the install.
Whether a fusion drive can work normally on these older Q77 chipset PCs is another matter altogether. I'm not sure that there's a good reason to create one on these Dells. It's certainly possible to keep the boot drive and storage drives separate and still use both with no issues.

Last edited:
trs96,

WHEW!!!! Changing out the bracket on that card was a 'booger'. Had to use an 8mm sock wrench to get the connectors our of the old bracket and then remove the screws. Being very careful not to break the wires.

I got the bracket changed out, powered off the machine installed, and powered on. I now have BLUETOOTH and WIFI, did nothing at all to get them working. I got prompted to connect to my WIFI in the house, and when I enabled BLUETOOTH, and asked to discover - it saw my BT Speakers, my TV and Cell Phone.

I then also ran the UPDATE to 10.14.4, it took almost 20 minutes to complete - after the rboot - but it booted back to the LOGIN SCREEN and when I logged in...I was at 10.14.4. Running the CHECK FOR UPDATES stated I was fully updated.

MANY THANKS,

Grizz

DP to DVI -- Will it work?

I have one of the old 23" Crystal Displays (from an old POWER MAC) which is still in great shape - thinking of getting the power supply (as the VIDEO CARD in the POWER MAC powers the monitor) - and using it with the OP 7010.

What do you all think? Worth it?

Would I have problems if I get a DISPLAY PORT to DVI adapter?

Should I just sell the monitor on eBay and be done with it? The thing was over $2000.00 when it was brand new. Still looks like it is new (save a little dust and scratches)...not a BAD PIXEL on it.

Grizz

Running the CHECK FOR UPDATES stated I was fully updated.

MANY THANKS,
Glad it worked Grizz. Nothing like natively working hardware.
BTW this thread is starting to look like a wild animal park.
We've now got a Grizzly bear and a Purple Hippo.
Not sure those have been seen in the wild though.

What do you all think? Worth it?
DP to DVI converters are cheap. It is most likely worth a try if you really like that old monitor.

Thanks trs96 and Grizz for your helpful advice and tips. Got everything working again all drives are showing up and working fine. Got Mojave back on the SSD, still working on the NVMe. Think I’ll leave the fusion drive until I’ve read up some more. One thing I discovered, the same NVMe card and adapter works in the PCIe X16 slot in the HP6300pro.

Glad you got it all working....trs96 is correct. When it comes to the Hackintosh - SIMPLE IS BETTER.

Grizz

Do you have a Dell MT ? Using it for a different system ? Let us know how it works out.
Yes, I have the MT. I've added the Fenvi Wifi/BT solution recommended in Post#1, as well as a Siig Firewire 800 (3-port, F026-00G5X 2.0) card.

I'm thinking of adding a GPU... thus the purchase of the recommended from Post#1 M12II Modular Power Supply by Seasonic (520W) on sale at Newegg just recently.

Any new recommendations for graphics cards? I am thinking of the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX570 mini.

I'm thinking of adding a GPU... thus the purchase of the recommended from Post#1 M12II Modular Power Supply by Seasonic (520W) on sale at Newegg just recently.
There is a newer version of the S12II 500W (S12III) going for $27 after rebate right now.
It is not modular but there should be enough space inside the MT to put the extra cables.
Any new recommendations for graphics cards? I am thinking of the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX570 mini
That's a good choice. There is also the full size, 9 inch long version on sale at Newegg for $130 after promo code.
it will block a few Sata ports if that matters. There are some possible workarounds for that issue.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202283

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back