Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
iv'e posted a separate thread here in hardware troubleshooting as its a wider issue than this thread,
yet I'm curious if anyone here might know why an old startech PCIe Product ID: PEXSAT31E1 two channel sata adaptor with Marvell - 88SE9128 chip, attached to my MT Dell 9010 appears to be working fine for a few hours and then the drives disappear from the system needing a restart to bring them back?

if you have a look at the cpu ssdt ceation guide it points you to the ssdt generation script but there is also another branch of the same script (beta and not beta) you might want to try both branches.
Thanks. I did that and I might have been able to get it to boot finally - this is using the SSDT.aml that was inside the ACPI folder Library/ssdtPRGen/ACPI. Maybe that was my issue all along - I might have been grabbing the SSDT from inside the main folder by mistake? Is this the right SSDT.aml to use, or should it be the SSDT.aml inside the main folder of ssdtPRGen? It took a 3 consecutive attempts at running the test (with AppleIntelInfo.kext) to get all the p states to show up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.24.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.24.26 PM.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.26.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.26.28 PM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 96
Is this the right SSDT.aml to use, or should it be the SSDT.aml inside the main folder of ssdtPRGen? It took a 3 consecutive attempts at running the test (with AppleIntelInfo.kext) to get all the p states to show up.
sorry not able to answer first, as for p ststes showing up - it only shows the p states that have been used whilst the script to show p states is running - so if you leave it longer or do more with it, more p states are reported (until all are shown).

@trs96 thank you for another fantastic guide!!! My 8300 worked almost perfect, but I needed to hop in to Mojave. Yesterday night I've finished clean install on my 7010 MT (changed power suply to 450W, add 3x8GB and 1 4GB of RAM, and infamous RX570, we'll see how it works:)). I used I5 3470ssdt from guide but I have 3570 but I've done geekebch and everything seems to be ok, I think. Today after work. I'll run iMessage and iCloud. Hope I did everything right and it'll work.

Edit FYI: I've done geekbench on clear Windows 10pro, and on Mojave. Windows 10 performs a bit better on geekbench than OSX. But on the other side Opencl works better on OSX :)

Last edited:
Is the update okay?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 8.09.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 8.09.48 PM.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 82
How to add an extra internal USB 2.0 header
If you own the Optiplex DT or MT you know that Dell only provides one internal USB 2 header. For about 6 dollars (from China) you can add a second one. This allows you to connect two devices like a Wifi/BT card and a card reader inside your case. Not sure why Dell only provided one whereas HP models have two onboard in the 6300/8300. This is a simple solution. You'll just need to find a place for it inside your case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q8685Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

What if I have the SFF Optiplex and no internal USB 2.0 header inside my case ?
There's a solution for that as well. Use an external USB 2 port and put this inside of your case for 2 USB 2 headers.
An easy solution for not a lot of money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC8JV12/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
61bYaMTFgxL._SL1024_.jpg
If you don't want to wait weeks for shipment from China you can find one US seller on ebay.

Last edited:
Broke my build!. Help!. Had everything working fine three days ago. Mojave on 250GB SSD, great!. Mojave on 120GB NVMe, fine. High Sierra on 1TB Hybrid drive fine. And now nothing!. None of the drives are being picked up. Recreated High Sierra USB installer several times. Nothing!, I think I've broken it, can't install anything from the USB. just get blank screens and prohibited sign. Frustrated!.

Broke my build!. Help!. Had everything working fine three days ago. Mojave on 250GB SSD, great!. Mojave on 120GB NVMe, fine. High Sierra on 1TB Hybrid drive fine. And now nothing!. None of the drives are being picked up. Recreated High Sierra USB installer several times. Nothing!, I think I've broken it, can't install anything from the USB. just get blank screens and prohibited sign. Frustrated!.

Did you check your BIOS? Was the CMOS battery replaced?

Grizz

Hi Grizz. I updated the Bios when I first got this machine up and running. A29 for a 7010 if I'm not mistaken. I didn't replace the CMOS battery when I first got it. I do have a spare I can replace it with. But like I said everything was running perfectly upto three days ago, perfect. Now nothing, unbelievable.

just get blank screens
As Grizz said a weak CMOS battery can cause this. It reverts back to legacy boot, all your drives are set up to boot UEFI only. The BIOS can't see anything to boot from.
Hi Grizz. I updated the Bios when I first got this machine up and running. A29 for a 7010 if I'm not mistaken. I didn't replace the CMOS battery when I first got it. I do have a spare I can replace it with. But like I said everything was running perfectly upto three days ago, perfect. Now nothing, unbelievable.
Did you do anything right before this or did it just "happen" when trying to boot ? Did you have the Mobo unplugged from power for awhile ? Easiest thing to do is press F2 at boot and see what the BIOS is set to. If it's back to defaults it's probably a failing CMOS battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back