Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.... I almost got a 7010 for 50 euros on ebay and then remembered I have enough computers for now, yet I sure someone is going to get a present soon.

Now you know to buy the 7010 next time. Nobody here buys just one of these. Just ask @nicksoph he just got a 9010 MT.

I had my graphics go out again. I made no changes. Do you think it's worth trying this card?
Have you tested out your DP connectors in Windows ? To rule out a hardware problem. Try a new cable too to rule that out as an issue. Try connecting to a different monitor than what you've been using. If you can rule out all possible hardware causes then go back and do a clean install via the directions in post #1. HD4000 should be trouble free when macOS is installed and all the kexts and SSDTs are in the right places and loading properly.

If the graphics problem is not software related it has to be somewhere along the link from DP output connection of the motherboard to the connection with the monitor. The on chip HD4000 graphics has never failed in my experience so that is not likely a cause. It's not impossible but not likely.

Last edited:
So if SATA 1 is chosen as the DEFAULT BOOT in BIOS.....CLOVER will see that one and the other one on SATA 2?
That's how it should work. What options do you get at the CBM ?

in retrospect I would have liked a note at the start on the similarities between the 9010 and the 7010 (more or less identical it seems), as the 7010's are around half the price here, as as ever I naturally go for the bigger number (bigger netter right? hahah).
The prices of each are mostly the same in the US and UK. Nevertheless I'll add this to the Beginners ?s section of the guide.
Should I go with the Optiplex 7010 or the 9010 ?
There are a few very minor differences between the two. Both have the same Q77 chipset. The SFF, DT and MT versions of each can support 32GB of ram. The USFF models can support up to 16GB. They can use all of the same CPUs. The 9010 has a software RAID option in the BIOS, the 7010 doesn't. The only important distinctions are that the MT Dells have 4 Sata ports and the DT versions have 3. Dell also says the PCIe x16 slot on the DTs can only provide up to 50W of power. The MT up to 75W. That is important if using an RX560 or 1050 TI graphics card and you want to game in Windows. If so, choose the MT version for enough power for your card via the PCIe slot. Make sure to download and check the technical manuals for each (7010/9010) Dell and read through it for the fine points you may be interested in.

Thank you for the guide! Everything works well for me. I had problems with the resolution of my screen (2560 x 1080) and the hd4000 card. I fixed everything with the software Switch Res X (but I'm blocked at 50hz).

Thank you for the guide! Everything works well for me. I had problems with the resolution of my screen (2560 x 1080) and the hd4000 card. I fixed everything with the software Switch Res X (but I'm blocked at 50hz).
If you can't live with 50Hz a GT 710 graphics card should work with that monitor. You'd need to use the 710's HDMI output.

Last edited:
For anyone considering buying a 7010 or 9010 Mobo. If you want the higher (75w) watt PCIe x16 slot, you'll need to get a board with 4 Sata Ports as in the picture below. The DT and MT boards are the exact same dimensions and layout. The extra Sata 2 port tells you that it's MT and not A DT board. If you will replace the PSU and also use a card that requires 6 pin supplemental power then it shouldn't matter. Either the DT or MT board will work for that. If using a LP GTX 1050 Ti or an RX560 LP card then this is really important. You'll need all the power this slot can provide. Most all Ebay sellers list their boards as 7010/9010 MT or DT because they will fit in either one. Makes it confusing for the buyer.

Screen_Shot_13.jpg

Last edited:
The prices of each are mostly the same in the US and UK. Nevertheless I'll add this to the Beginners ?s section of the guide.
yes, the cheaper ones seem to have vanished from listings and I may just have imagined them in my excitement with this. whoops.

Finally, a 16 GB DDR3 1600 ram kit at a reasonable price. Haven't see a price like this for new ram in over 4 years !

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IV19HZE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

$68.99 no tax and free shipping. Brand new ram, not refurbished. Matching Kit. Will work in the USFF, SFF, DT or MT.

1553174693805.png

Last edited:
One More Question -- Any idea why the mouse does not wake up the Machine? It does if I press a button on it, but not on moving it...and the red light underneath is ON. Touching the keyboard also works.

Grizz
Mine seems to not work some days even by pressing buttons on keyboard or mouse, but power button on the front of the machine works and they're usable from thereon. Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard with Mighty Mouse connected to keyboard USB port.

Edit - nevermind. Had them in a usb 3.0 port which is a no-no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back