Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the card idling while pushing 4K, it's around a 2 or 3, primarily due to some rattle in the fan itself rather than as a result of the RPM. It's louder than the CPU fan, but this is due to its different frequency content; a 3.5" hard drive that is actively seeking would be about as loud. It easily blends into the background HVAC noise here.
Thanks, that is some helpful info for prospective K600 card buyers. It looks like this card with an adapter cable from Club 3D is the best, most economical way to go for a 4K/60Hz CustoMac mini system. 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 are quite common and have come way down in price lately. So all one would need is their Quadro K600 + this cable for it to work properly. Note that this white cable below is close to ten feet long or 3 meters. If you don't have anywhere to hide it just get the shorter adapter. See below.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXIF3YD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I know that the cable will cost more than the graphics card but going with this specific cable should give 100 % success on most newer 4K televisions. DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cables that are not active will not work. If anyone wants a black adapter where you supply your own HDMI 2.0 cable instead, one of those without retail packing only costs 21 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0775Z57H9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I have not tested these yet as I only have a 1080p television. So if anyone tries this for a Home Theater setup let us all know how it works for you. Most everyone in this community uses Club 3D adapters to get 4K/60 with monitors and TVs that only have HDMI inputs and no DP.

Last edited:
Affordable Multi 4K Monitor Graphics Card for your Dell Optiplex
These are selling for $197 dollars New right now on Ebay.
Retail price New NVS 510 cards will cost you $250.
Don't expect to game at 4K with one of these cards. They are not designed for that. Photo editing or CAD works fine. Remember the 2013 Mac Pro ? The AMD FirePro cards from 2013 were absolutely terrible for gaming, even if you ran Windows via bootcamp.
The mini-DP to HDMI adapters are fairly inexpensive on Amazon.com. There are two important things to consider:
  • Monitor specifications to ensure that it can support 4K@60Hz from the desired input port. HDMI input ports must be HDMI 2.0 specification.
  • Ensure that your HDMI cable is HDMI 2.0 compliant.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0BWR2K/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This 6 ft. long "active" cable only costs $13 on Amazon. Again, I have not tested these personally. Consider it an experiment. This will only give you 30 Hz when your TV/monitor is running at 4K. Works fine for 1080p at 60 Hz. Watching movies or Youtube videos at 4K/30Hz is perfectly acceptable. Moving your mouse or using a trackpad and navigating the desktop isn't.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM50QJC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Finally, AmazonBasics has a miniDP to DP cable that only costs 8 USD if you have multiple 4K monitors (not TVs) So to connect up four 4K 60Hz monitors will only cost 32 dollars. Not bad.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PWQPFS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Specifically with the hardware in the mini-tower version, is it a standard CPU cooler? I.e. can I swop the heatsink and fan out to something much quieter? I have found on my HP 8300 it is not standard, so I'm stuck with the original heatsink and fan. I understand I would need one of the ebay adaptors for 5pin - whatever fan I end up using.

Specifically with the hardware in the mini-tower version, is it a standard CPU cooler? I.e. can I swop the heatsink and fan out to something much quieter? I have found on my HP 8300 it is not standard, so I'm stuck with the original heatsink and fan. I understand I would need one of the ebay adaptors for 5pin - whatever fan I end up using.
It's a standard socket 1155 CPU cooler. The backplate holes are threaded for the Dell Cooler which is a screw down model.

I've found a Thermaltake cooler that fits perfectly. It's 4 Pin so you could use one of the 5 to 4 Pin adapters. This one screws directly into the existing Dell back plate. (which is nearly impossible to remove.) The fan is relatively quiet if you keep the speed low enough. Not going to be Noctua quiet but it's acceptable to me.
Whether PWM control of the fan will work is another matter. Might be best to use a 3rd party fan controller.

Hello, I'm at step 7 of the guide, except I can't find the efi file even if I modify the finder settings. and without it I can't finish the configuration, except that the pc starts very well without the installation key. So the file efi exists!

Hello, I'm at step 7 of the guide, except I can't find the efi file even if I modify the finder settings. and without it I can't finish the configuration, except that the pc starts very well without the installation key. So the file efi exists!
Sorry, but this thread's topic is only Optiplex 7010/9010 related. You're using a 3020. Anyway try using EFI mounter app.

Sorry, I made a mistake on my profile I have an optiplex 7010
and you would have more information about EFI mounter

I made a mistake on my profile I have an optiplex 7010 and you would have more information about EFI mounter
Search for it in downloads.

I just bought it, and I forgot to change my profile, but before I had a 3010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back