Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made clones with Acronis from a larger drive to a smaller one so I know it does work.
I'll look into why it's not working for you right now.

OK @Grizz I took a look at the problems you are having with Acronis. Looks like the 2017 version has a problem seeing the APFS formatted macOS drive when you are booting from Win10 PE SE. When I try to open the drive in Windows Explorer (AKA File Explorer) it asks me if I want to format the drive. Since we've booted from a Win10 PE USB Drive, Acronis thinks we are making a Clone on a PC instead of on a Mac.

So it probably isn't going to work this way. When I cloned HS (HFS+) it worked with no problems. I think that ATI 2017 came out before Apple was even using APFS at all. What you can do is use Super Duper to make a clone or if you want to buy Acronis 2019 and install it on your CustoMac that will work to make a clone.

Here's a link to where you can buy ATI 2019. Newegg also has deals and discounts if you sign up for email blasts from them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVP1GSJ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This gives you 3 licenses for $13.33 each. You can use one and sell the other two to your friends or family to help save some money. It's important to have this on a Hackintosh as you've discovered, a lot of things can and will go wrong.
Do not buy the ISO versions that sell for $5 or less from Ebay as they are all pirated. As we say, don't feed the pirates by paying them for what they've stolen.

Here's a video demo showing how easy it is to clone with Acronis TI 2019 installed on your CustoMac.

Last edited:
I bought a 7010 MT because if this guide and now I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I have tried both High Sierra and Mojave and have repeated the guide countless times now and seems like I am missing something as I cannot even get the installer to finish loading. I
We need to know what CPU and graphics you are using. This should all be in your profile.

Sorry I had forgot all about that, I have changed it. This system is the basic Optiplex 7010 MT with the i7 3770 and 16gb of ram and no additional hardware
Did you swap out the Unibeast config.plist for the modified version attached at the end of post #1 ?
Are you using a DP to DP or a DP to HDMI cable attached to your monitor ?

Did you swap out the Unibeast config.plist for the modified version attached at the end of post #1 ?
Are you using a DP to DP or a DP to HDMI cable attached to your monitor ?
yes I followed the guide but I am connected through the vga cable

yes I followed the guide but I am connected through the vga cable
There's your problem VGA doesn't work. Apple no longer supports analog video connections. Here's an image from post #2.

Last edited:
I've added a new image to the guide so that now there is no chance anyone will miss this. At least, that is my hope.

Last edited:
I've added a new image to the guide so that now there is no chance anyone will miss this. At least, that is my hope.

View attachment 390727
Thanks for pointing that out to me, I tend to miss simple stuff these days, I installed the original ati card and it is installing now

Last edited:
Hello,

I've just finished setting up an Optiplex 7010 SFF with this guide and it was about as seamless as is possible.
At the moment, I have an i5-3550 installed but will be attempting to switch to an i7-2600 for its hyperthreading once my fan adapters arrive from China.
While looking for a graphics card, I found that the Kepler-based Quadro cards (K410, K420, K600) are low-profile and have DisplayPort 1.2 compatibility. Furthermore, they can generally be found on eBay for under $20.
My Quadro K600 worked out of the box in Mojave - no tweaking or additional drivers necessary - and was able to push 4K at 60Hz just fine. I still need a half-height PCIe bracket for it, but it seems a very happy camper.

Thank you for this guide: it is easily the most straightforward Hackintosh install I've done to date.
Audio, USB, Ethernet, Graphics, and Sleep all seem to work perfectly.
The only modification I've made to the config.plist is adding the classic TRIM patch for my SSD.

Attachments

• About This Mac.png
    About This Mac.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back