Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guide works for the 9010 all in one?
thank you for response !
Never tried one. If it has an HD4000 CPU there's no reason why it wouldn't.
Let us know how it works if you try one.

Thank you, trs96, for the quick reply! I will try all of your suggestions. Disabling sleep is definitely a band aid (but a good one at present), but I am definitely going to keep at it. I will post the solution if I get it working.

Depends on what connections you have on your monitors.
Have a look at post #2 of this thread. You'll see many options there.

Don't forget you've got two DP outputs on the back panel I/O that you can use for 2 monitor setups.
DP to HDMI adapters work well and are very inexpensive to buy.

Is the DGPU computation power could still be used when I plugged in the monitors to motherboard DP outputs?
Thanks.

Is the DGPU computation power could still be used when I plugged in the monitors to motherboard DP outputs?
Thanks.
I'm still working on that. Haven't found a way yet to run iGPU and DGPU at the same time.

Optiplex 7010 MT with HD4000 (i5-3475S)
Just saw these selling on Ebay for $59.99 + shipping. They do have a Windows license sticker but don't have a HDD. There is 4GB of ram installed. Looks like they have about 15 of these as of today. They've even sold these earlier this month for 50 USD so watch to see if they go on sale for that price once in a while.

So if you have your own SSD and some extra DDR3 ram you can use that makes this a great deal.
Note that they also sell them with more ram and a 500 GB HDD with Windows 10 Pro installed.

This deal is only for those in the USA. Shipping costs would get very high for overseas orders. The 7010 MT's weight is a little over 20 pounds. Shipping cost will be the lowest on the East Coast of the United States. Highest on the West Coast.
If you live in North Carolina for example, shipping might only cost you about 15 dollars. If you live in California, it will cost 30+ dollars due to the long shipping distance. Sales tax may apply when shipping to: IA, MN, WA

Last edited:
Your 2 last deals are absolutely amazing, trs96 ! If I wasn't in Europe with prohibiting shipping costs, I would again buy one or two... These machines are really amazing.

Your 2 last deals are absolutely amazing, trs96 ! If I wasn't in Europe with prohibiting shipping costs, I would again buy one or two... These machines are really amazing.
On most new builds these days you can't even buy your motherboard for sixty dollars or less.

I should have noted, that the 7010 MT is not professionally refurbished so it's likely not going to be in perfect condition. When they've been donated from a business for resale the charity such as thegridgoodwill, doesn't spend a lot of time fixing, cleaning or replacing anything. So as a heads up to anyone buying one, be prepared to do a bit of cleaning and fixing some minor things with these. Do the basic maintenance as you would for any 5-6 year old PC. With the money you save when buying, you spend time in doing your own refurbishing. I'm not saying they'll be in "bad" condition, just that buyers shouldn't expect them to be OOB new at this low price. They're simply being liquidated. Sometimes you can get lucky and get one at this price in really good condition, luck of the draw I guess. Any way you look at this, you can try out hackintoshing for a very minimal investement. If you like it, you can do some easy upgrades, graphics, PSU, ram and storage, to get a lot more performance out of this 7010 MT desktop from Dell.

Here's the disclaimer if you didn't see that:
All items are donated to further our Mission in providing quality work for individuals with disabilities and other barriers. Since we may receive items in bulk in different phases, package condition may differ than one shown in images. UPC barcodes may be marked and/or cut out. Contents however will not be affected. Please keep this in mind when making your bids.
__
Here's a DT version with similar specs (i5-3470 instead of 3475 S) 4GB of ram and a Win7 license for $115 from a Professional refurbisher, Revive IT. These have been fully inspected and cleaned. Tested for non-working parts etc. by trained technicians. The PCs have certain minimum requirements that have to be met or they are rejected. For example if the size of a scratch or dent in the case is too large they don't sell that PC to their customers. They auction those off to other Ebay sellers.
They also give a 1 year warranty with the $115 price. You'd need to buy a LP graphics card like the GT 710 or RX560. The other nice thing about going with a Pro refurbisher is that they will absorb the shipping costs. So for me, this DT would only be $25 dollars more than the 7010 MT linked to previously that makes the shipping cost an extra fee beyond the price of the PC.

Last edited:
@ideasight - Not sure what could be causing your slow boot but that it takes place so early in the process makes me think it is either that clover is searching for boot entries and awaiting a time out or more likely there are entries in the BIOS boot order which should be changed. If you see 'OSX' as a bios boot option remove it and make sure the boot drive is in SATA0 and listed as the bios's first boot option. Then, using clover configurator turn off searching for any boot menu options that don't apply. These dells seem slow to get thru the bios (mine - 25 secs to clover) how long for yours?
dell logo for about 10s, I will try it, thanks

@ideasight - Not sure what could be causing your slow boot but that it takes place so early in the process makes me think it is either that clover is searching for boot entries and awaiting a time out or more likely there are entries in the BIOS boot order which should be changed. If you see 'OSX' as a bios boot option remove it and make sure the boot drive is in SATA0 and listed as the bios's first boot option. Then, using clover configurator turn off searching for any boot menu options that don't apply. These dells seem slow to get thru the bios (mine - 25 secs to clover) how long for yours?
Thanks a lot!
I did as you told me, but it's still slow.
Here is my BIOS setting, Clover boot log and Clover config

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    27.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2019-02-22 .png
    2019-02-22 .png
    743.7 KB · Views: 56
  • config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 79
Sorry, it's Optiplex 7010 MT, and both SSD and HDD, it's slow to boot clover
What was the reason you chose a Xeon instead of the i7-3770 ? I think that it's not the best to be using a Xeon and a Mac Pro 6,1 system Def. The SSDTs and plist are custom made for a 2012 Mac mini instead. I know that 6,1 is a better match for your CPU but it's not for this guide at least. 10s or less to get to the Clover menu is perfectly ok. What's the hurry ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back