Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_215633[1].jpg
    IMG_20190129_215633[1].jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 76
One other thing.
I installed mojave in hard disk, not SSD. I formatted the disk in HFS Journalled and proceed with install.
After installation i open Disk Utility and see that the hard disk is formatted in APFS.
I thought it formats only SSD's.

You are making the wrong selection in Kextbeast. Look at the image I posted in the guide.
Choose to install into /Library/Extensions not there. You'll need to go into /S/L/E to delete those first.
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 18.03.50.png

fwiw, it is normal for 'Zero KB' to appear when you select a folder.

btw, you have also selected the wrong folder !
The image shows 'upgrade' which indicates you have previously installed the kexts into wrong folder. That may explain your boot issues perhaps?

I think you can navigate to the System/Library/Extensions folder, locate and manually delete the incorrectly installed kexts.

Then run kextbeast again and install them into correct Library/Extensions folder.

Last edited:
One other thing.
I installed mojave in hard disk, not SSD. I formatted the disk in HFS Journalled and proceed with install.
After installation i open Disk Utility and see that the hard disk is formatted in APFS.
I thought it formats only SSD's.
Mojave now converts all HDDs to APFS. Sorry.

Here's the new Load Defaults section of BIOS Setup.

Load Optimized Defaults
after you've flashed the BIOS and before you make any other changes to it.
There is a "Load Defaults" tab in the lower central part of the window. Click on that and then click Apply.

Go to Boot Sequence and set the Boot List Option to UEFI.

Update to all.
Reformat the drive and followed the guide from beginning.
Everything went smooth and working as supposed to.
Right now Mojave is installed, boot from it. Ethernet, audio and USB 3.0 is working
Will test a little more and then will do a backup of EFI and Drive, as you say.
What I certainly did wrong before, was that I did not realise that there is a Drive called "EFI".
So I was copying all the kexts in EFI folder of Unibeast installation drive (step 5 C,D,E,F)
I don't want to use iMessage, sleep or other power management. Do I have to proceed with that ?

Thank you all.

What I certainly did wrong before, was that I did not realise that there is a Drive called "EFI". So I was copying all the kexts in EFI folder of Unibeast installation drive (step 5 C,D,E,F)
This is why the guide says to enable viewing the hard disks icon on the desktop. Then you can easily see when the EFI partition of the hard drive is mounted too. I'll put the finder preference change to show hard disks right before steps 5 C-F so that something like this won't happen to other readers. Thanks for reporting this.

1548863423849.png
EFI drive.png

I don't want to use iMessage, sleep or other power management. Do I have to proceed with that ?
It's still a good idea to create a unique serial number by using Clover Configurator. Do that and check that it's not in use by a real Mac mini. You will still have to get updates from Apple even if you don't use iMessage or Facetime.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 10.13.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Ok. Created SN and registered with Apple. Connected with icloud and everything working good.
A question: I will install a new GPU in the near future. A used Radeon R9 or a cheap GT710, maybe.
Do i have to do the whole procedure again ?

Ok. Created SN and registered with Apple. Connected with icloud and everything working good.
A question: I will install a new GPU in the near future. A used Radeon R9 or a cheap GT710, maybe.
Do i have to do the whole procedure again ?
No, you don't have to redo anything. A 710 will work but it's not better than HD4000 IMO. Probably the best option for these is the MSI RX560. If you install one, make sure to change the BIOS -> Primary Display to AMD HD graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back