Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is something that happened. When I changed my SMBIOS fro iMac 13,2 or ,1 (don't remember which I had it as), to a Mac Mini 6,1 or ,2 (Whichever the i5 version is), it disabled my third monitor on my GT 740. I have 1 Mini HDMI, 1 DVI-D, and 1 DVI. I used a DVI to VGA adapter on the one dvi port that I could, because the way my windows laptop docking station and my desktop pc ports allow, that was the only way to utilize all three monitors on both work stations. When I updated my SMBIOS, it wouldn't detect that one monitor on the DVI to VGA adapter, so I thought maybe I was now limited to two monitors. I found out that is not the case because if I use a regular DVI cable then it works. Do you know how to maybe fix this? Is it macOS or my gpu?

I know of someone who got the integrated graphics working with an Nvidia card by using a specific ig-platform-id. They were using the iMac 13,2 smbios which supports integrated and discrete graphics working together.

For the i5 you've got the 6,1 Mac mini smbios is preferred. You might look into possibly enabling integrated graphics along with your GT 740 to give you use of the two DP outputs. Doing that is going to require config.plist changes that I'm not entirely informed on how to implement. I'm sure that the 6,1 Mac minis only use igfx such as the HD4000.

Possibly you could post your PR files and have @Sniki take a look at the bigger picture. I use DP to HDMI cables for onboard HD4000. The graphics look better to me this way than any Nvidia graphics cards that I've used. Probably worth the effort to enable your HD4000 and use that for two monitors and have the 3rd on HDMI from your GPU. Another option would be simply to add a second gfx card. The low cost GT 710 would work nicely for 1 extra HDMI and another DVI output.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

If you read the Mac mini 6,1 graphics description they actually support DP to VGA adapters so you could possible get one of those if need be. Use it from onboard DP to your VGA monitor.
This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI display or a DVI display using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter and 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z08TZNU/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
On this Amazon page they even show it used with an older MBP laptop via the mini-DP.

619spgv4avL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellows,
i am a long time reader of your work and i admire you for your commitment
i just bought an 7010mt with i7-3770 and HD4000 for backup of my aging MacPro 2009.
Yesterday i tried to install Mojave on it. I followed the guide and prepared the Usb disk and boot from it.
At first the installation bar stopped at 80% and computer went to sleep. I could not wake it so switched it off and on again.
Then i start the installation again with option on bios "to not deep sleep" and also with clover option not to sleep.
It started installation again with verbose option and i left it overnight to finish.
This morning the screen showed this:
Any idea where is the problem ?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_074415.jpg
    IMG_20190128_074415.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
Hello fellows,
i am a long time reader of your work and i admire you for your commitment
i just bought an 7010mt with i7-3770 and HD4000 for backup of my aging MacPro 2009.
Yesterday i tried to install Mojave on it. I followed the guide and prepared the Usb disk and boot from it.
At first the installation bar stopped at 80% and computer went to sleep. I could not wake it so switched it off and on again.
Then i start the installation again with option on bios "to not deep sleep" and also with clover option not to sleep.
It started installation again with verbose option and i left it overnight to finish.
This morning the screen showed this:
Any idea where is the problem ?
Thank you
Looks like a graphics problem. How is the monitor connected ? Is it via VGA (15 pin D-Sub) or the DP output ? You'll need a DisplayPort cable when using HD4000. That can be adapted to either HDMI or VGA if need be. Is it a flat screen LED LCD monitor or one of the older CRT tube monitors ? Those can also create a problem.

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/#post-1743316

Last edited:
Looks like a graphics problem. How is the monitor connected ? Is it via VGA (15 pin D-Sub) or the DP output ? You'll need a DisplayPort cable when using HD4000. That can be adapted to either HDMI or VGA if need be. Is it an flat screen LED LCD monitor or one of the older CRT tube monitors ? Those can also create a problem.

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/#post-1743316

Thanks for answer. It is an old LED LCD Monitor that connected through VGA.
It only have VGA, DVI inputs. I will buy an DP-to-VGA adaptor and write back.
I hope it will be enough.

fwiw, wouldn't a DP to DVI-D cable be better for picture quality (eg. sharper small text) as it is all digital connection, whereas as VGA is 'analogue' and usually results in slightly blurry images?

my 7010 usff with i3-3225 HD4000 works fine with a cheap DP to DVI-D cable wired to old 19" VGA/DVI-D LCD monitor.

Just double check the type of DVI socket on your monitor. As it is an 'LED' monitor, it should be at least 'DVI-D' if not rarer dual 'DVI-I' standard.
DVI-I vs DVI-D

Last edited:
@trs96 @Sniki Sorry to have wasted peoples time with wifi card issues, I had got in to a mess by trying various cards without clearing previous kexts. The card I have is the AR9280 AR5BHB92 ST mini pci with an adaptor and the only kext that's needed is the AirPortAtheros40 kext. Fresh install and all went perfectly.

Last edited:
If anyone has an ssdt for a i5 3570 that they know works ,would you post it please.

Does USBInjectAll kext still need to be there in the final state of the build - after the details for the ports have been discovered?

Does USBInjectAll kext still need to be there in the final state of the build - after the details for the ports have been discovered?
Yes. You may be confusing USB IA kext with the port limit patch. That used to be used for port discovery and then later on disabled or removed completely. The nice thing about these and the HP 8300s is that they are all under the 15 port limit so no port limit patch ever needs installation and you keep all your working USB !

The following is not directly related to your question but thought I'd post it anyway for others contemplating this build, to read and benefit from.
Add to that native NVRAM and perfectly supported HD4000 graphics and you've got a winning combination. Look at all the support threads of those with new builds with boards that don't have native NVRAM and the user has only UHD 630 graphics. Endless problems and headaches. The other problems I see all the time are audio related, Realtek and HDMI audio. The ALC269 works with just AppleALC and Lilu installed to /L/E and a layout ID of 1. Couldn't be any easier.

That's why I created this guide. For those just starting out, with not a lot of money or hackintosh experience, it's a great way to get a first build working. There is much pain and agony that people experience when starting with a new 8 or 9 series system that has a much steeper learning curve. Take a look at support threads for those with H370 motherboards that use integrated graphics exclusively. I'm not saying that everyone should avoid starting with a new system for their first build. I did that myself 7 years ago. I'm just offering this alternative to help beginners experience more of the joy of making a hackintosh rather than getting bogged down with problems initially and then giving up completely.

Last edited:
@trs96 https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
It works perfectly and that should be enough esp as I dont understand it but the link above seemed to be saying you need it to work out the ports which are then injected somehow -
"This kext attempts to inject all ports for each controller, and for hubs as well. You can use this kext (temporarily) to enable all ports so you can determine which ports really need to be in the final injector. " What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back