Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit overwhelming at the moment, that's how new it is to me, and I'm not sure what everything is that I am looking at or why it is created.

Learning about how to hackintosh a PC is like learning a foreign language. At first nothing makes any sense, there are hundreds of acronyms and names you've never encountered anywhere. The best thing to do first is to study terminology such as in the glossary (link posted above). Then follow a guide like this Dell Optiplex guide to get some hands on experience. Try to read other guides as well every day and in time things will start clicking for you. This is all about immersion in the subject. When you associate with other people that know more than you, ask them questions and try things out you'll in time learn all that they know. If you want to learn Spanish, you obviously take classes and read books. You don't really "learn it" until you spend much time with other Spanish speaking people who don't speak your native language. This forces you to practice till you get it right, just like hackintoshing. You always get another chance no matter how many times you fail. If you never give up, eventually you'll have success at this and then will be able to give back to others.

When I started this back in Jan. 2012 There were only about 3 Gigabyte motherboard choices. Only legacy booting via Chimera and there was a repository of DSDTs pre-configured for each board. All I did was create a Unibeast installer with Lion, installed and rebooted. Put my Z68MA-D2H-B3 DSDT on the desktop and selected a few things in Multibeast. Rebooted again and had a working system. Here's how beautifully simple the Buyer's Guide mATX build was back then. I used a Crucial M4 SSD boot drive (very expensive then) and that also works great to this day. I used the recommended 2 x 4GB ram kit (for dual channel mode) which also still works fine today. Back then, 8GB was a lot of ram. Today 16 gigs is the starting point. It's also more than twice as expensive for the same amount !

Screen Shot 1.jpg
Back then I had never even heard the terms "kext" or DSDT/ACPI and didn't really know what they meant. After completing a few more builds and helping other people get working hacks, things started to make more sense and I learned a lot about how macOS works. So don't try to "build Rome in a day" or think that you can learn this all in one week. It's not possible, unless you have a great deal of previous experience as a developer and really understand how PCs and Macs work at the software level.

The Z68 mATX system I built 7 years ago works perfectly to this very day. I'm using it right now to create this post. It's completely silent (didn't intend that) never crashes or panics. Sleep and wake work perfectly. I've not got USB 3 working as that is not possible with onboard USB 3. A 20 dollar USB 3 PCIe add in card would work but USB 2 still works fine for what this CustoMac is used for. The performance of this was about 10-20 times faster than my old 2005 Mac Mini I had used previously. Needless to say it's what completely sold me on hackintoshing.

Last edited:
@Sniki here are my PR files for the Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF with i7-3770 HD4000

I'm using a patched DSDT in ACPI/patched as per the guide in post #1. Have a look and let me know what needs more fine tuning.
I did take a look on all of the files and here are my improvements:
DSDT no need for patching anymore, i did fix the asterix with a config.plist /DSDT/Patches:
change *pnp0c14 to pnp0c14
Windows emulation can be done without patching DSDT, instead i use this:
config.plist /DSDT/Patches:
change _OSI to XOSI which disables native call on OEM DSDT and use the SSDT-XOSI which has all windows version and correctly detects the one that is needed.
With those two changes we eliminated the need for DSDT Patching.

Others things is noticed:
LPC (Low Pin Count bus) - not loaded, important & needed:
It's needed to connect legacy components to motherboard, those can be Serial Port and many other things that are necessary.
FIX: use the attached SSDT-LPC and place it on EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

SMBUS - not loaded, also important & needed:
A motherboard chipset needed to monitor the board voltages and temperature etc. basically it handles power supply commands.
FIX: use the attached SSDT-SMBUS and place it on EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Correct USB Port implementation not done yet:
Fix steps:
SMBIOS:

iMac 13,x is the best matching hardware for this hardware but this SMBIOS has some custom ports implemented from Apple into USBPort native macOS kext, which makes it a poor choice for hackintosh, Use Mac Mini 6,1 or 6,2 for i7 users.
First we need USBInjectAll.kext to be installed before proceeding
Second we need to disable ESEL,XSEL,XWAK which are known to cause USB Problems, wrong routing etc.
To disable them i added the config.plist /DSDT/Patches
- change ESEL to ESEZ
- change XSEL to XSEZ
- change XWAK to ZWAK
so we can disable their native calls to them and we also use SSDT-ESEL,SSDT-XSEL, SSDT-XWAK to make these methods do nothing (return nothing/return 0).
Third - after having done the all above listed changes, we reboot and as soon as Desktop boots, we open IOregistry explorer and keep it open for the entire process listed below:
Grab a USB2.0 device like a mouse or keyboard or whatever it is:
Plug it on every physical USB port that the desktop have 1 by 1 while keeping it plugged for like 5 sec on each port and them removing it.
after you have done that on every usb port, grab now a USB3 device (USB3.0 flash drive or 3.0 external drive).
Repeat the same process with USB3 device now by plugging it 1by1 on each port.
After you completed the process, on ioreg menu on menu bar, click file and save a copy as.
Upload that ioreg result there.
I will create the injector for USB Ports.

Shiki.kext:
This kext is deprecated therefore replaced with WhateverGreen.kext, remove shiki.kext and install WhateverGreen.kext to have working DRM content on iTunes etc.
It is also needed to have HDMI Audio from Integrated GPU (intel HD4000).

Im also curious if all jacks are working for audio.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Patched.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 79
If anyone is looking for an i7-3770 SFF model this is available for a good price at Newegg.com
I've got basically the same 9010 system with 8GB of ram. Great performer for such a small computer.
Can go up to 32 GB of ram. Add an SSD boot drive if you'd like. A dual slot LP RX560 will work too.
Would work well for a portable FCP X video editing system. It is fairly heavy though because the PSU
is internal and the steel it is made of is thicker than most cases.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8WV7E22007&Description=Dell%20Optiplex%209010%20SFF%20i7-3770&cm_re=Dell_Optiplex_9010_SFF_i7-3770-_-1VK-0001-0HFX1-_-Product

Last edited:
@Sniki
Curious as to why we can't simply inject Audio Layout ID 4 on line 218 (see below) instead of adding
Properties -> PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0) -> layout-id 1 ? What is the advantage of adding this Properties section
to the config.plist ?

Last edited:
@Sniki
Curious as to why we can't simply inject Audio Layout ID 4 on line 218 (see below) instead of adding
Properties -> PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0) -> layout-id 4 ? What is the advantage of adding this Properties section
to the config.plist ?

View attachment 382081

Due to the latest clover changes, they switched to this patching mechanism for audio and video related settings.
This will be the new method of patching, not sure if old method is still functional or not, but it is not viable anymore, it won't take long until it's not functional anymore.

But really, it's not that hard anymore, hackintool app from @headkaze can do that and generate a plist file with all those informations.

Suggestions: use PlistEditPro app since it's free with limited functionality, or xcode. instead of looking at the plist file like that, you can look on the data in more beginner friendly way as it has both code view mode like on your picture and also on menus/submenus way.

Due to the latest clover changes, they switched to this patching mechanism for audio and video related settings.
This will be the new method of patching, not sure if old method is still functional or not, but it is not viable anymore, it won't take long until it's not functional anymore.
Just to update, I've gone back to Layout ID 1 and HDMI audio is now working via either HD4000 or the GT 710 so I don't think we need to fix anything audio related. As usual I can't test the back panel mic input so if anyone else wants to use that they should report whether it functions for them or not.

As usual I can't test the back panel mic input so if anyone else wants to use that they should report whether it functions for them or not.
yes. Same setup, and the rear mic and the all the other sound ports and hdmi sound work.

Revision II of the Guide Now Completed
You can see the new install and post install steps in the guide in Post #1 of this thread.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...plex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/

A clean install of either High Sierra or Mojave will give you the best results.
There is a new SSDT-USB to use thanks to Sniki and no more need to patch your DSDT with MacIASL.
Highly suggest that you try this new guide on your Dell Optiplex.

Also check out post #2 as the Hardware upgrades have been revised. There are now 3 AMD Graphics options that will work well with your Optiplex. As you know the Nvidia Pascal cards like the GTX 1050 have no drivers for Mojave and don't work.

Last edited:
I have tried this build and its certainly quicker to boot and seems more stable. I have only one issue the 2nd PCI slot in a Dell 7010 SFF seems not to work - anybody tried a card in the slot nearest to the power supply?
Attached are the automated problem reporting files.

Attachments

• debug_30610.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I just put my GT 710 in that slot and it booted fine. Note that I did switch primary display in BIOS first to Nvidia HD Graphics before booting.

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 11.28.12 AM.png

You should also check your /L/E folder and see if anything is there that shouldn't be.

Here's how mine looks after a clean install of Mojave. The versions of kexts in /L/E also should match
those that are in kexts/other folder as well. Mixing older versions with newer can create problems.
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 11.31.59 AM.png

I should also note that some Broadcom wifi cards like the Fenvi FV-T919 need a X1 slot to work properly in a hack. If it's in a x4 or x16 slot it tends to not work. Not sure why but it must be in a x1 slot for the wifi to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back