Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an Optiplex 7010 running Hackintosh Mojave with full functions. However, the motherboard was dead last week. If I simply connect my SSD (contains hackintosh) to another Optiplex 7010 with the same configuration, can the new system work properly? Should I look for another SN for the new set? Thanks.

I had an Optiplex 7010 running Hackintosh Mojave with full functions. However, the motherboard was dead last week. If I simply connect my SSD (contains hackintosh) to another Optiplex 7010 with the same configuration, can the new system work properly? Should I look for another SN for the new set? Thanks.
Why not just buy a replacement motherboard for about 18 dollars on Ebay ? If you have a 9010, make sure you get a 9010 motherboard. Same for 7010. The BIOS is slightly different for each one. You should be able to keep using the same SMBIOS info for your system no matter which approach you take.

Why not just buy a replacement motherboard for about 18 dollars on Ebay ?
Should I do the same installation for the new set with the replacement motherboard? Or the real question is, does the apple-id-registered SN depend on the motherboard SN or not?

Should I do the same installation for the new set with the replacement motherboard?
Just connect up your SSD and it will work as long as it's the same board and form factor i.e. 9010 MT if that is what you have now. On Ebay look at the pics. Each MT board (7010 or 9010) has 4 sata ports, the DT boards only have three. That's the only real way to tell them apart. Check with the seller to know exactly what you'll get.

Or the real question is, does the apple-id-registered SN depend on the motherboard SN or not?
I really don't know for sure if it matters to Apple, if that gets checked by their servers. Give it a try as is and see if all Apple services work or not. The board serial numbers we generate are not real Apple serial numbers anyway. Generate a new one if you'd like, it shouldn't make any difference. I know you can replace a genuine Apple board and keep the same Apple ID registered serial #.

Last edited:
However, the motherboard was dead last week.
Did you rule out a possible dead CMOS battery first ? When booting UEFI and that battery fails you will get a black screen, no BIOS either. It looks dead but just needs the CMOS battery removed and replaced. It's discussed in the main guide. If you try to boot and the fans still spin, this is usually what it is. If the mobo gets no power at all then it is likely to have failed.

Most refurbishers and other sellers don't replace the CMOS battery before selling these. All they do is see if it boots to BIOS and that's it. You can still do that when set to legacy booting and the other BIOS defaults. It's up to us Optiplex owners to get out a multi-meter and do the battery testing to see how many volts it can provide.

Last edited:
Did you rule out a possible dead CMOS battery first ? When booting UEFI and that battery fails you will get a black screen, no BIOS either. It looks dead but just needs the CMOS battery removed and replaced. It's discussed in the main guide. If you try to boot and the fans still spin, this is usually what it is. If the mobo gets no power at all then it is likely to have failed.

Most refurbishers and other sellers don't replace the CMOS battery before selling these. All they do is see if it boots to BIOS and that's it. You can still do that when set to legacy booting and the other BIOS defaults. It's up to us Optiplex owners to get out a multi-meter and do the battery testing to see how many volts it can provide.
Thanks for your reply. The board was water damaged. Luckily, I have several sets of optiplex 7010 from a broken company.

Hi all,
I've not really had much experience with Hackintoshing since Snow Leopard and thought I'd delve back in as I've got a few of these PC's lying around.

I just tried to update and received the message (photo attached)

I'm running an i5-3570 (HD2500) and a MSI GT 710 2GB.

Any idea what this issue could be. TIA.
IMG_20190402_233606.jpg

@Grizz how is that new Wifi card working out ? Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back