Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
some 7010s were shipped with AMT enabled and some with it permanently disabled. I have never seen a 7010 that I could alter this setting.
Thanks for sharing this. I've only bought a 7010 USFF and a 9010 SFF for testing and to write this guide and have never had any HD4000 graphics issues. @Sniki So does this mean if someone gets a 7010 with Intel AMT disabled their onboard graphics will not work ? They would need a GT 710 or other card for Mojave ?
Edit, just answered my own question. These Dells all have IME which is required for working graphics. AMT can be disabled and not cause problems. So it has no effect on graphics function.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
For anyone interested, this is what the HTG site says about AMT. It is part of IME that is mostly used by business and corporate customers. The people that buy these Dell and HP machines brand new from the manufacturer.
Aside from various low-level functions, the Intel Management Engine includes Intel Active Management Technology. AMT is a remote management solution for servers, desktops, laptops, and tablets with Intel processors. It’s intended for large organizations, not home users. It’s not enabled by default, so it isn’t really a “backdoor”, as some people have called it.

AMT can be used to remotely power on, configure, control, or wipe computers with Intel processors. Unlike typical management solutions, this works even if the computer isn’t running an operating system. Intel AMT runs as part of the Intel Management Engine, so organizations can remotely manage systems without a working Windows operating system.

In May 2017, Intel announced a remote exploit in AMT that would allow attackers to access AMT on a computer without providing the necessary password. However, this would only affect people that went out of their way to enable Intel AMT—which, again, isn’t most home users. Only organizations who used AMT needed to worry about this problem and update their computers’ firmware.

This feature is just for PCs. While modern Macs with Intel CPUs do also have the Intel ME, they do not include Intel AMT.

Sniki

Motherboard
Lenovo V330 - 15IKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620 /1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for sharing this. I've only bought a 7010 USFF and a 9010 SFF for testing and to write this guide and have never had any HD4000 graphics issues. @Sniki So does this mean if someone gets a 7010 with Intel AMT disabled their onboard graphics will not work ? They would need a GT 710 or other card for Mojave ?
Edit, just answered my own question. These Dells all have IME which is required for working graphics. AMT can be disabled and not cause problems. So it has no effect on graphics function.
For anyone interested, this is what the HTG site says about AMT. It is part of IME that is mostly used by business and corporate customers. The people that buy these Dell and HP machines brand new from the manufacturer.
Told you, it might be possible some have it disabled on Bios somewhere (in dell case might be in that legacy rom setting or auto/intel/dedicated gpu setting) that you did list screenshots on that.
He may have any of these settings not set correctly, a bios reset to defaults and only touching what you said should fix his issues.
As you also said HD4000 should work OOB without a kext.
The only reason is no ime/mei/heci/imei device enabled on bios might be different name.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Maybe there is a model without it, but as far as my knowledge goes, there is no pc/laptop without imei
This is true, every Intel motherboard since 2008 has IME which is an operating system on a chip with access to your PC’s hardware. It runs when your computer is asleep, while it’s booting up, and while your operating system is running. You could think of it as functioning like the new T2 chips on Macs do. The AMT is a subset of IME and can be disabled or enabled. That makes sense because AMT allows remote access to an HP or Dell without even booting the primary OS.

I don't think there is any BIOS option to disable IME because it's doing so many important things that disabling it would be a really bad idea. So AMT and IME or ME as it's called are definitely not the same thing but are related. The HP 8300 BIOS does allow disabling of AMT but obviously it's not possible to disable IME or not much would work properly.

Once again a quote from the HTG (How to Geek) website.
You can’t disable the Intel ME. Even if you disable Intel AMT features in your system’s BIOS, the Intel ME coprocessor and software is still active and running. At this point, it’s included on all systems with Intel CPUs and Intel provides no way to disable it.
So back on the topic of why HD4000 isn't working I think it must be the kext or kexts that were modified and fixing those, restoring to vanilla will do the trick. We'll find out once smashabback gets things sorted out.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7020
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
HD 4600
Inside a 7010 there is a little white label with probably a 3 on it which also states MBX permanently disabled. I have 3 7010s and they all say 3. From the factory other options are possible. With my version Ctrl-P has no function. The bios contains the MBX code but no config is possible (unlike the HP 8300). I can also confirm that hd4000 still works on these machines with MBX disabled. As I said before tho, HD4000 takes much longer to boot up than NV710 (on both Dell and HP). Although I do have my AMT disabled on my HP and perhaps I need to turn it on to see if it makes a difference.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Inside a 7010 there is a little white label with probably a 3 on it which also states MBX permanently disabled.
What is MBX ? Do you mean MEBx ? I can access that by pressing Ctrl P at boot and it asks for a password. The default is admin. What benefit would it be to have this if one was not needing any remote access ?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7020
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
HD 4600
What is MBX ? Do you mean MEBx ? I can access that by pressing Ctrl P at boot and it asks for a password. The default is admin. What benefit would it be to have this if one was not needing any remote access ?
Yes MEBx. Same as AMT I guess. No benefit really. Your inside label must say something other than 3 if you have access to Ctrl-P. Not all 7010s equal.

Sniki

Motherboard
Lenovo V330 - 15IKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620 /1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
As I said before tho, HD4000 takes much longer to boot up than NV710 (on both Dell and HP). Although I do have my AMT disabled on my HP and perhaps I need to turn it on to see if it makes a difference.
That's why it takes too long to boot, so does mine, it has no effect on Windows but on macOS i can tell that from my experience it takes too long to boot with it turned off and on HP elite disabling the AMT disables the IMEI as well for me. So that causes long boot time and no QE/CI.YMMV

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop
CPU
i3
Graphics
NVS 510
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
So, I know exactly what I modified in the Framebuffer kext, so I reversed that back. (The guide I found on fixing HD 4000 Graphics said to add a hardware ID to the info.plist file. I removed the hardware ID and rebuilt the index.) Here are all options in my BIOS with the exception of the ones under Image Server and System Logs.

Attachments

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop
CPU
i3
Graphics
NVS 510
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Here's the Image Server tab. I'm intrigued by this "License Status" disabled screen.

Attachments