Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with the App Store, keep showing Cannot Connect to App Store, but my iMessage is working.

View attachment 388415

Any thoughts?
Fixed it when looking around in google.

Just in case if anyone having the same issue :)

1. Logout App Store (If logged in)
  2. Then Close App Store
  3. Open Terminal
  4. Run the command below
Code:
defaults write com.apple.appstore.commerce Storefront -string "$(defaults read com.apple.appstore.commerce Storefront | sed s/,8/,13/)"

5. Reboot​
6. Login and you should be able to download and update your apps already.​
Source
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250154403?answerId=250306539022#250306539022

Last edited:
Since 120GB SSDs sell for around 20 USD right now, everyone can easily make a clone of the system drive.
Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to clone a almost-empty 500Go SSD on a 120Go SSD ? I mean, we only have to copy the OS part of the SSD, not the datas that I already have redundance of.

I want to make a bootable clone but I don't want to buy another 500Go drive !

Dont know which software will work to clone from larger to smaller but if you copy the efi partition and the kexts in /Library/Extensionson on your old drive using normal file operations to your install USB (it's quite small), then go thru the install process on your new drive up to and including installing clover on the new drive, then copy over the efi data overwritting what is already there, and put the kexts on the desktop and run kextbeast, that doesnt take too long. But be aware having two bootable efi partitions on two drives installed at the same time can cause problems.

Last edited:
I want to make a bootable clone but I don't want to buy another 500Go drive !
If you use the Acronis T. I. app's cloning option, which is linked to in the guide, you won't need another 500GB drive. A 120 will work if you have less than that on your current install drive. It automatically resizes the partitions, it even copies over your EFI partition for you.

If you want to use an older mechanical drive you've already got that would work too. Just have some kind of backup and recovery plan in place to help avert a data loss or macOS install disaster.

Last edited:
Optiplex 9010 SFF with i7-3770 and 8GB ram
This is my favorite configuration. The 9010 SFF with i7-3770. Ram can be upgraded to 32 GB. Easily add an SSD boot drive and keep the mechanical drive for storage. You can also add an LP RX560 if you need better graphics than HD4000.
Windows 7 Pro license can be converted to Win 10 Pro. Just install 10 Pro and activate with the Win 7 product key.

Selling for $169.50 shipped from Newegg. You may have to pay sales tax depending on where you live. Seller has 20 left.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAYZ8S68206&ignorebbr=1

If you buy one, make sure to replace the CMOS battery and remove existing Thermal Paste, then reapply a fresh coat to the CPU. Makes a big difference for temps of the i7 CPU. You only have to do this once. Should be good 5-6 years. By that time these machines won't be up to par or able to run macOS 10.20 or whatever they call it then. It's interesting to see that for the cost of one new base model 2018 Mac mini + sales tax, I can buy five of these 9010 Optiplexes. I wouldn't get the 4 TH3 ports or a new 128GB NVME M.2 SSD but it's still a really good value when you consider it. You can get one for each family member so you don't have to fight over who gets to use it. ;)

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my 9010 SFF. To give you an idea of the size. The depth from front to back is just over 12 inches.
So roughly 11.5 x 12.2 x 3.7 inches. For cm use an online calculator. Very easy to fit on your desk. The HP 8300 SFF is significantly larger and has room for more hard drives and also has more airflow. If you just need one SSD and one 3.5" HDD then this Dell model works perfectly. It's easy to remove the slim optical drive and install the SSD there if you are going to keep the 3.5" HDD that comes with this model.

There are good LP graphics card choices that fit, even dual slot versions. See post #2 for ideas.

388632 388636On the motherboard 8,9,10 are Sata ports

With ports 9,10 being Sata 3 6Gb/s speeds. The third one (8) is Sata 2 and where the optical drive connects. If you want to run two SSDs and one mechanical HDD then simply buy one of these Sata power splitter cables from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9806010728/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Two 2.5" 7mm slim SSDs will stack one on top of the other in the optical drive bay and then you can keep the 3.5" drive.
6 is the PCIe x16 slot where you can install a dual slot LP graphics card. The MSI RX 560 will fit there. Right next to the slim PSU.

Last edited:
Thanks for this guide. I recently came to own an Optiplex 7010 SFF and was thrilled when I realized just how nice a machine this is. I upgraded the CPU to an I5 3570K that I already had to get Intel 4000 graphics. I also upgraded the memory to 16GB and am dual booting Mojave and Windows 10 off separate 2.5" mechanical SATA drives (SSDs are planned). I followed each step and I'm really happy with things so far, but I definitely have a sleep issue. Whenever the machine wakes from sleep I get the spinning beach ball of death, and I end up having to reboot. The system never recovers.

Whenever the machine wakes from sleep I get the spinning beach ball of death, and I end up having to reboot. The system never recovers.
Sleep/wake issues are generally always complex. Start out by disconnecting everything but a single boot drive (macOS) and mouse and then try again. This means anything connected via USB port or header, anything installed in a PCIe slot etc. Connect things back one at a time till you see what causes a problem. Also look in System Prefs and uncheck everything in the Power Saver section of that. Would also be a good idea to create custom SSDT for CPU PM for your 3570K.

Last edited:
Free Hackintosh Insurance Policy
If anything goes wrong with your install of macOS and you need to be back up and running again quickly, prepare a bootable clone of your system drive once everything works. Either purchase a new 120GB SSD or use an older but still functional mechanical drive to do this. You can use CCC or Super Duper or even Acronis True Image as shown below.
Important Final Step: Backup your working EFI folder and make a clone of your System drive
Put a copy of your finalized EFI folder onto your Unibeast installer USB. That way you can easily replace it if your config.plist or anything else gets corrupted. You can also make a complete Clone of your system drive by using Acronis True Image after you have everything installed and working exactly the way you want it. Use Kyhi's WinPE boot USB. Using Acronis True Image this way is completely free. Click the link below for the guide on this.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...able-clone-of-your-macos-system-drive.254705/

Three Important Points to Remember

1. When you are installing kexts and not using Multibeast, you'll need to use Kextbeast 2.0.2 to install them to /L/E. After that you should run Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild caches.

2. The SSDTs and Clover Config.plist attached below are designed to work together. If you use just one or the other individually it will create problems and you won't have a fully functional and stable system. Follow this guide exactly as presented here for the best results. Don't mix in other kexts or make modifications to the config.plist that are unnecessary.

3. This is Revision II of the guide. The posts in this thread from #6 through #412 (July 2018 through January 2019) are related to the first version of this guide. Most of those problems have been resolved with changes to the guide. The issues you'll see reported there should no longer apply to your install of High Sierra or Mojave.

Saw this today -- for anyone looking for SSDs to use as an external BACKUP drive

KINGSTON SSDs - Great Prices

Just thought I would share with everyone.

This guide works for the 9010 all in one?
thank you for reponse !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back