Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
some comments, after 1 month of usage:
Are you using High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina ? If Catalina which version of Clover and are all your kexts in Clover/kexts/other ? You can also upload your PR files for review.

i use Mojave.
PR files ?

hi guys! Can anyone recommend a budget gpu ? i want something slightly better than the gt 710 and i don't mind how old it is either.. can pick up some good bargains on ebay espeically the older cards but no sure on compatibility?..cheers!

hi guys! Can anyone recommend a budget gpu ? i want something slightly better than the gt 710 and i don't mind how old it is either.. can pick up some good bargains on ebay espeically the older cards but no sure on compatibility?..cheers!
There is a whole thread on that topic in Desktop Compatibility.
I don't see your Dell Optiplex hardware in your profile. Is that what you are using ?

hi,
I own a i5 3470 Optiplex 7010. I did all the steps from the manual in post 1. Installation of OS X fails.
I'm running into "End RandomSeed" a short time after I start the installation.
Have anyone a idea what I can do?
Thanks..

Attachments

• 3539C57F-096F-4D97-AF25-85EDF846A56C.jpeg
    3539C57F-096F-4D97-AF25-85EDF846A56C.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 41
Have anyone a idea what I can do?
You missed something in the guide. Guess what it is.

Graphics Options
If you buy an Optiplex with HD4000 graphics you can then use any form factor via the integrated Intel graphics. For the USFF model it's mandatory. An i3-3225/45 is ideal for general use, surfing the net and viewing video. An i5 with HD4000 is better for more demanding tasks. You'll need to connect your monitor via one of the two onboard DisplayPort outputs.

There are six Ivy Bridge CPUs you can use in your Dell Optiplex desktop that have the HD4000 graphics built in to the CPU. i3-3225 - i3-3245 - i5-3335S - i5-3475S - i7-3770S - i7-3770. The best performer is the i7-3770. The best value is the i5-3475S. If you want to game and/or edit video get the i7-3770. The 3570K and 3770K are potential upgrades but cannot be overclocked due to lack of any options for that in the Dell BIOS. If your CPU has HD2500 (i5-3470) then you must install a compatible dedicated graphics card. The GT 710 is a popular choice.

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/#post-1743316

Last edited:
hey all,
im still successfully running my mini tower after following this great guide, yet have a glitch or two to iron out.
I'm still on 14.6 and mostly access the tower via my MacBook Pro using screen share and jump desktop, which I find has the best all-round ease of use and functionality etc etc

For some reason I keep loosing access to the screen share and sometimes the file shares too, I remain connected and can ssh into the machine but no longer remotely control it. I have tried lots of trouble shooting approaches and it appears to be on the dell that the error is occurring, restarting sharing or network etc etc does not seem to fix it and more often or not im having to restart the dell box to bring sharing back.

I feel a re-install may be the answer (the combo didn't) and a leap to Catalina is on the cards once I have finished fixing and merging some vast iTunes collections (fatcat powertunes is now free and is an excellent though time consuming way of finding missing tracks and reading orphans).

So, does anyone have an idea what I might try next and how exactly should I try to observe the processes as they happen, I scan console yet have so far not seen anything I understand as being amiss.

thanks again for this great thread
WP

ps
is there a compatible bluetooth usb dongle I can use with this for magic track and pad?

@trs96
thank you for your explanation. You‘re right, i didn‘t read this.
I thought the hd 2500 is running on macOS. Maybe i Look for a decent gk.

also a question to the instruction:
I have to copy in the Clover/ACPI/patched folder all ssdts from the ssdts for Dell Optiplex. And the ssdt file for the cpu? What i do with them?
Thanks for answering!

Last edited:
I have to copy in the Clover/ACPI/patched folder all ssdts from the ssdts for Dell Optiplex. And the ssdt file for the cpu? What i do with them?
If you still have the i5-3470 you'd create an SSDT and put it in the same patched folder. Maybe someone that has made one for the 3470 already can post it here for you. This video shows moving the SSDTs to the patched folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back