Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Once again thanks for the help and responses. I think the MB route is easiest, will let you know what happens.
I have changed the MEBx section to now say:
If you see the number 6 & ME Lockout it has been factory disabled. These will not work well if you want to use HD4000 graphics. Return or exchange it immediately. It will cause problems with graphics acceleration that are not fixable.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I don't intend to go off topic here but this is really interesting. Google wants to completely get rid of Intel ME. MINIX simply stands for a "mini unix" operating system. It's what is running all the time on every Intel based computer. This is why for security reasons, you should be running the most current BIOS version with included patches for IME security holes.

Google wants to remove MINIX from its internal servers
According to Google, which is actively working to remove Intel’s Management Engine (MINIX) from their internal servers (for obvious security reasons), the following features exist within Ring -3:
  • Full networking stack
  • File systems
  • Many drivers (including USB, networking, etc.)
  • A web server
That’s right. A web server. Your CPU has a secret web server that you are not allowed to access, and, apparently, Intel does not want you to know about.

Why on this green Earth is there a web server in a hidden part of my CPU? WHY?

The only reason I can think of is if the makers of the CPU wanted a way to serve up content via the internet without you knowing about it. Combine that with the fact that Ring -3 has 100 percent access to everything on the computer, and that should make you just a teensy bit nervous.

The security risks here are off the charts — for home users and enterprises. The privacy implications are tremendous and overwhelming.

Note to Intel: If Google doesn’t trust your CPUs on their own servers, maybe you should consider removing this “feature.” Otherwise, at some point they’ll (likely) move away from your CPUs entirely.

Note to AMD: Now might be a good time to remove similar functionality from your CPU lines to try to win market share from Intel. Better to do so now before Intel removes the “Management Engine.” Strike while the iron’s hot and all that.

Note to Andrew Tanenbaum: Your operating system, MINIX, is now one of the most used on modern computers! That’s kinda cool, right?

Note to everyone else: We’re all MINIX users now.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Graphics Card for your Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini Tower

Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB

This card from Newegg.com is the best bang for your buck. Much better than the RX560 which is now hard to get and over priced. This will not block your Sata Ports or the USB 3 header on your motherboard. Price is low too. Make sure you upgrade your Dell PSU to one that is 450W or better. Modular is best. These are 70 dollars less than the MSI RX 560 4GB cards that are for sale new on Newegg. This will have macOS native support much longer than the Nvidia Kepler cards.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-100412p4gitxl/p/N82E16814202311?

14-202-311-V05.jpg
$129.99 at Newegg

Look at the price of a used MSI RX560 4GB on Amazon right now:

Screen Shot 13.jpg

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Last edited:

You can also simply buy a USFF replacement mobo and install it yourself.
I have a replacement mobo and before I install it wanted to check— will this mean my UEFI nvram is lost or is there a way to save and install the same nvram settings so my install still boots? Or is enough changed that I might be facing a reinstall?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
will this mean my UEFI nvram is lost or is there a way to save and install the same nvram settings so my install still boots? Or is enough changed that I might be facing a reinstall?
You'll want to be on the same BIOS version as you were on before. Flash it to that if need be. Load Optimized defaults. Then make the same changes in the BIOS settings as you did previously. Your hard drive should still work with the previous macOS install on it. Don't worry about NVRAM. Don't think you'll need a reinstall.

When booting, after the Dell logo disappears, There is a delay of about 15 seconds before I see the OS selection. Any idea what might cause that delay? Than you.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9010
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Color Classic, eMac, iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Strange Firefox (browser) Behavior (69.x/70.x):

When loading Firefox up all seems well until I try to copy then paste to another program. It does not copy nor paste at all until I quit Firefox (which hangs the browser (spinning beach ball) and creates a Mozilla crash report) and then reboot the browser. Then all is well.

I even uninstalled Firefox (via AppCleaner) shutdown and then reinstalled a fresh copy of Firefox. Shutdown, rebooted and the exact same issue. Thought for sure this would correct a potential corrupt previous install but to no avail.

In the end it is just a nuisance issue but if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated (I have not heard back from Mozilla). As an aside... Safari does not have this issue.

Motherboard
Dell 9020-Q87
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Updated to Catalina 15.1 (Build 19B88) today on my BluEye G5/Dell 7010 mod, and did a Geekbench4 test. Catalina has consistently scored over 13000 (Geekbench4), compared to Mojave which was around the 12464 mark. I currently only have 8GB ram installed, I suspect that maxing out the ram will bring the score upto the 14000 mark, which is base 2018 Mac mini territory.
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 6.01.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 6.11.19 PM.png