Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Is there any way to control the CPU and GPU fans? I tried macs fan control, TG pro and SMC fan control none of them works.
Thanks
I haven't found any solution for this. Would probably take some DSDT edits or at least more UEFI hot patching to fix.

A few other people have reported the black tabs in Safari when using Mojave and HD4000 graphics. I've never been able to reproduce that. I don't think it's ever happened when using a GT 710 or other compatible Nvidia card. It is probably related to this being the first macOS with a complete Dark Mode UI. It looks like the GUI is partly in dark mode and partly in light mode. You might try different settings in System Prefs to see if it changes. For the time being use Chrome or Firefox instead until a solution is found.

Thank you, any suggestions for the preventing the Mac App Store from freezing for minutes upon opening?

Thank you, any suggestions for the preventing the Mac App Store from freezing for minutes upon opening?
Look at the log reports to determine what is causing it.

Look at the log reports to determine what is causing it.

After doing a fresh install, Metal support were back and the Black bars were gone from Safari. But the App store was still freezing up. So it looks like they're separate issues.

I was able do replicate the freeze with the console open to see the time stamp.

Code:
Jun 26 18:54:23 Austins-Mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Jun 26 18:54:23 Austins-Mini App Store[771]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: dispatch source activated with no event handler set; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug

After a reboot, all metal is no longer appearing as supported and the black bars are back in safari.

I've attached the debug files.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

Attachments

• system_log.txt
    198.4 KB · Views: 383
  • debug_16663.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 126
After a reboot, all metal is no longer appearing as supported and the black bars are back in safari.
Do you have your macOS system drive on the Sata0 port ? How many drives are connected to the 4 Sata ports ?
From your debug files it looks like you've got a couple of external drives connected to USB ports. Those could be related to the freeze ups. Remove those and reboot. You also are missing some drivers in the Drivers64UEFI folder. There should be at least 7.

You need to add the three in the image below that you don't have.
The other three besides DataHebDxe-64.

Would be a good idea to run Kext utility as well to rebuild caches and repair permissions.

Last edited:
Just brought a Optiplex 7010 USFF but it came with a i5 3470S . Now finding out that the HD2500 is not supported can anyone recommend a compatible i3 or i5?

It's going to be mainly a music server for alexa and for me to remote desktop in from my ipad for desktop browsing.

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone trying Catalina on our Dells yet?

It's definitely a good PSU worth keeping. Too bad Newegg has to charge that much for a simple return. I have gotten a lot of good deals on PSUs there over the last 8 years or so. Never have returned one.
@trs96, I did keep the Seasonic PSU and I just found a use for it! My dad's old HP Pavilion died (A6110n, circa 2007), and after examination I determined that about half of the capacitors had given up the ghost. I pulled the hard drive and moved his files to a new system.
I took a look at the case, and thought, hey, this is sturdily built, not pretty, but maybe it would make a good sleeper PC. I purchased a 7010 motherboard, and with mostly left over parts including the Seasonic, have put together a nice little machine.
The Seasonic works in this case, because the HP Pavilion A6000 series doesn't have the nice latching mechanism that the Dell Optiplex does... and thus the HP can just barely take the 160mm length of the Seasonic MII, whereas the Dell must have the 140mm compact format.
I'm pleased as punch that the PSU is no longer just sitting in a box.

Last edited:
Just brought a Optiplex 7010 USFF but it came with a i5 3470S . Now finding out that the HD2500 is not supported can anyone recommend a compatible i3 or i5?

It's going to be mainly a music server for alexa and for me to remote desktop in from my ipad for desktop browsing.

Many thanks in advance.
The i5-3475S is a good CPU and not too expensive on eBay. I've used it in one of my builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back