Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I see the crucial 500gb are on sale right now. How do these compare to the Evo 860? Also any recommendations on 4k monitors? Trying to stay under the 500 price tag. Right now I'm using a older 32 inch lcd tv but it looks terrible. Thanks. @BillyGoatGruff thanks for the input I had already ordered the fenvi card when I saw your recommended one.
UPDATE! If you are planning on using my modification to the MT case to mount the Fenvi WiFi card directly through the case by drilling holes.... DO so on the space NEARER to the PCIe slots... NOT near the PSU. I WILL UPDATE my post momentarily.
1) Choosing the side nearer will mean shorter length of ribbon cable is needed.
2) The original location I suggested is too tight on the ribbon cable and the ribbon cable WILL get caught in the GPU fan! I discovered this only when I opened up the MT recently to add ram and found the PCIe extension ribbon cable had been caught by one of the GPU fan blades! It seized up that fan. :(
Follow this new way and you can ensure you have plenty of ribbon and can secure it away from the fan blades.

Motherboard
Q77 Board
CPU
I7 3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
UPDATE! If you are planning on using my modification to the MT case to mount the Fenvi WiFi card directly through the case by drilling holes.... DO so on the space NEARER to the PCIe slots... NOT near the PSU. I WILL UPDATE my post momentarily.
1) Choosing the side nearer will mean shorter length of ribbon cable is needed.
2) The original location I suggested is too tight on the ribbon cable and the ribbon cable WILL get caught in the GPU fan! I discovered this only when I opened up the MT recently to add ram and found the PCIe extension ribbon cable had been caught by one of the GPU fan blades! It seized up that fan. :(
Follow this new way and you can ensure you have plenty of ribbon and can secure it away from the fan blades.
Looking forward to seeing the update .I haven't done it because I'm trying to make a usff system and finally ordered one.

Motherboard
Q77
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD4000
Question: My 7010 Hackintosh seems crashed after I clicked the system update in itunes store. I know I should not do it in that way but curiosity forced me. Now I would like to know how to restore the hackintosh. Should I reinstall everything following the instruction again? Or there's actually another solution for this update issue? Thanks for your answer in advance.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3550
Graphics
RX 570
Think there's something else wrong then - try posting problem reporting files
I think I may have solved it as I upgraded to 10.14.5 and changed my SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 instead of macmini 6,1. Anyway the CPU clocks down to 1,6GHz now finally! Unfortunately the GPU temp is still not very well... iStat Menus tells the power draw is arround 100W ?! Do you think this reliable actually?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 20.36.10.png

Attachments

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Question: My 7010 Hackintosh seems crashed after I clicked the system update in itunes store. I know I should not do it in that way but curiosity forced me. Now I would like to know how to restore the hackintosh. Should I reinstall everything following the instruction again? Or there's actually another solution for this update issue? Thanks for your answer in advance.
If you've followed the guide updating via the Mac App Store/Software update should work.
When it doesn't, there are two other options you can use to update.

1. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2000?locale=en_US Install the Combo Update.
2. Create a 10.14.5 Unibeast installer and install from that. (do not format your System drive)

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I think I may have solved it as I upgraded to 10.14.5 and changed my SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 instead of macmini 6,1. Anyway the CPU clocks down to 1,6GHz now finally! Unfortunately the GPU temp is still not very well... iStat Menus tells the power draw is arround 100W ?! Do you think this reliable actually?
Normal idle power draw for an RX570 should be around 75W. It may be higher because of what you were doing at the time. Under load, power draw can go as high as 290W. iMac 13,2 is a better match for your CPU but you lose the benefits in your USB function that mac mini 6,1 offers. You'll need to decide which is more important. The config.plist and SSDTs are designed to be used with 6,1 or 6,2.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3550
Graphics
RX 570
Normal idle power draw for an RX570 should be around 75W. It may be higher because of what you were doing at the time. Under load, power draw can go as high as 290W. iMac 13,2 is a better match for your CPU but you lose the benefits in your USB function that mac mini 6,1 offers. You'll need to decide which is more important. The config.plist and SSDTs are designed to be used with 6,1 or 6,2.
Oh ok. I havent recognized any difference by now tbh (all USB ports seem to work actually). But why on earth does the GPU consume 75W (or in my case 90-120W) while IDELING which means doing absolutely nothing?? Thats insane!!

**edit

Wow I cant believe the RX570 consumes SO much power... Just did a stress test and you were right, WAY over 300W according to HWMonitor (thats kinda shocking!)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 22.57.55.png

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
But why on earth does the GPU consume 75W (or in my case 90-120W) while IDELING which means doing absolutely nothing?? Thats insane!!
You can blame the PC gamers for this. They all want better performance in games so the graphics card makers overclock them from the factory. Even the very efficient GTX 1050 Ti uses close to 70W at idle. That is the most popular gaming card for budget gamers. You could try and manipulate how much power it uses on idle, it's not something I've ever attempted with my 570 so I can't help you there.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3550
Graphics
RX 570
You could try and manipulate how much power it uses on idle, it's not something I've ever attempted with my 570 so I can't help you there.
This would be cool! Unfortunately I can’t find any tutorial about this.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Wow I cant believe the RX570 consumes SO much power... Just did a stress test and you were right, WAY over 300W according to HWMonitor (thats kinda shocking!)
This is why AMD suggests a 500W or greater PSU to run one of these. In normal everyday use, even when gaming, you won't completely max out the GPU. So the max wattage used is usually closer to 300W. Synthetic tests aren't real world.

I never use mine for just surfing the internet, integrated HD4000 works well for that. Hardly uses any electricity. This is why I highly recommend in the guide that you get a CPU with HD4000, it makes a lot of sense and doesn't cost much.