Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
GT 710
Mobile Phone
Android
PCIe riser card to allow me access to the sata ports.
Nice solution
and is quieter
My Daily Mac - a 7010 (EDIT: corrected much later from DT to) MT - i5 with just HD4000 graphics and stock fans, never push it hard but in normal use, it's the most quiet machine with fans that I've ever been near. Still being wowed by these machines eg. - in sleep - the daily mac uses 3 Watts, the well built but stock parts machine from a UK builder uses 7 watts.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
My Daily Mac - a 7010 DT
I had a 3010 DT briefly before I sold it and it was also amazingly quiet. Not sure why that form factor has the quietest fans. If it was a 7010/Q77 I would have kept it but I'm already owning too many hacks as it is.

it's the most quiet machine with fans that I've ever been near. Still being wowed by these machines.
This may be why it's now the #5 best selling desktop on Amazon.com right now. You get an i5, Win10 Pro license and 16GB of ram for much less than a junky new Win10 Home machine from Walmart that costs over 300 dollars and has a meager 4GB of ram. The Acer PC at #3 below is good spec wise but they give you the cheapest H310 motherboard and a garbage PSU with those. Not sure if the PSU can be swapped out either. It also doesn't work with Mojave like the 7010.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Q77 Board
CPU
I7 3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I had a 3010 DT briefly before I sold it and it was also amazingly quiet. Not sure why that form factor has the quietest fans. If it was a 7010/Q77 I would have kept it but I'm already owning too many hacks as it is.

This may be why it's now the #5 best selling desktop on Amazon.com right now. You get an i5, Win10 Pro license and 16GB of ram for much less than a junky new Win10 Home machine from Walmart that costs over 300 dollars and has a meager 4GB of ram. The Acer PC at #3 below is good spec wise but they give you the cheapest H310 motherboard and a garbage PSU with those. Not sure if the PSU can be swapped out either. It also doesn't work with Mojave like the 7010.

View attachment 405962
Is there any advantages of getting one over the other from hp an dell models?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Is there any advantages of getting one over the other from hp an dell models?
It's mostly what brand you prefer. I like the build quality and looks of the Dell desktops. I don't like the 5 pin fan header nonsense but that's something that is tolerable. With the HP models you get a normal 4 pin header for the CPU fan and you can swap the fan out easily. PWM control still works.

If you also need more mechanical HDDs for storage the HP SFF and MT models win there too. So if you were using one as a large capacity media server the HP MT is the better choice. You get three standard HDD bays. You can also convert the two 5.25" optical drive bays to hold more drives. So you could use up all of the five Sata connectors with large capacity HDD's. Add 32 GB of ram and it's a capable server.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Q77 Board
CPU
I7 3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
So I got the Msi rx 580 and it works out of the box. You have enough clearance for the sata ports but you loose the pci e 1x as it's a double slot. Which kind sucks because you can't use the Fendi card and a nvme add on.

Attachments

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Which kind sucks because you can't use the Fendi card and a nvme add on.
There is a way to use the x1 slot and the Fenvi Wifi/BT card. Takes some work but might be worth it.

Motherboard
Q77 Board
CPU
I7 3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
@trs96 I just ordered a pcie extender and wifi Dongle to test. Will definitely try this mod. Do you know of any good deals on the smallest form factor for the Dell or hp series? Also I saw on another post someone using a fenvi like card for a lot less. I belive it was 25 will look it up to make sure though. Wondering if it's the same or different build quality / performance. I really do appreciate your help as I love tinkering with stuff and this was a long time in the making but your guide made it so much easier. I gave up on my alienware r5 but might try it again. Thanks once again.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I've made a new post in Deals of the Day about 500 to 512GB NVMe drives. Have a look if you plan on buying one. The HP EX950 512 GB is the best bang for your buck right now. (buck = dollar if you aren't from the US)

If you can run one from your x16 slot with an adapter you'll get the fastest speeds. If you have a dedicated graphics card there install it into the x4 slot with an adapter. Enjoy life in the NVMe "fast lane."

Screen Shot 13.jpg Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Do you know of any good deals on the smallest form factor for the Dell or hp series?
Check Ebay on a regular basis. Make sure the seller has a good reputation and it is in good condition. Sometimes buying the lowest priced one works out sometimes it doesn't. I never buy from a seller with less than 99% positive feedback and they should have at least 5,000 products sold with a history of 2 years or more.

Motherboard
Q77 Board
CPU
I7 3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
@trs96 I'm looking at getting a usff build for my daughter how loud are they? And can't decide between the i5s and I7. I know you have a usff what would you recommend as far as specs and if they make a noticible difference. Main use would be browsing net YouTube and light gaming.