Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
In reference to my previous post here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...p-pc-revision-ii.251736/page-122#post-1950264
where the Ebay seller is pretending to sell you a Dell with Mojave pre-installed but isn't
This is a deal worth buying and then installing Mojave yourself via the instructions in post #1.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAYZ8S68206&ignorebbr=1

$152.50 and free shipping. You get an i7-3770 and 8 GB of ram. A 500 GB HDD with a Win 7 Pro license (can be converted to a Win 10 Pro license) by installing 10 Pro and entering it. Most likely there won't be any sales tax either.
You can install a 20 dollar Quadro K600 and get 4K @ 60Hz video resolution with a 4K monitor. There will still be room in the x4 PCIe slot for a Broadcom Wifi/BT card next to the K600. Can't beat a deal like that for a Mojave Hackintosh.

Here's what the seller says about these:
Each system has been cleaned/imaged and tested by our certified technicians and is guaranteed to be in perfect working order. The HDD's have been DOD wiped and loaded with a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional.
Use the Win7 install to flash the BIOS and then either wipe it and install Mojave or put Mojave on an SSD and then dual boot. Lots of great options with these. I really enjoy my 7010 SFF with K600. I got one for even less than this from a different seller about 6 mos. ago.

Here's what a 2012 Mac mini with similar specs costs on Ebay:
Nearly 430 dollars ! Seriously, a 7.5 year old Mac for over $420 and you can't do any better than HD4000 graphics with these. It has Thunderbolt 1 but eGPU doesn't really work on these. TH1 ports are too slow. Maximum ram is just 16GB and you can't run a 4K display or television at it's native resolution.

It's a really nice machine but you will pay top dollar for it and have limitations the 9010 SFF doesn't have.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X79 Deluxe
CPU
E5-1680 V2
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Tis a beautifull day. Just got and installed my Fenvi
Why i love this topic: After 3 years of Custmac-ing i managed to find solutions in several problems that i had left to the self as unsolvable, just in this one thread. In addition- and most important for the topic- i can now easily setup Customacs for friends (that they probably wont need me when they upgrade) so they can enjoy the beauty of macOS like almost owning a mac, and smile again in front of a PC.
Why i love macOS: Installed my Fenvi wireless/BD adapter, booted to mojave. Bluetooth, wifi, location, all ready as the first screen appears. Plus my home network joined allready cause of apple ecosystem sharing from my iphone etc. Practically i plugged the card in and nothing else. People try to be very mild about their opinions on macOS. Saying things like "i prefer macOS but actually it is a matter of taste". Comparing only speed results. What about the freakin taste??? the style??? the ease of use??? is our life only numbers? I can't understand. You can deffinately not like le Corbusier's designs or Pink Floyd's music or a red Lamborghini Miura or ever better, the way a small cheap Peugeot 106 rallye drives in a corner, it is your right but i really do not give a s****t!! A work of art is a work of art. And the fundamentals on the design and the software aspects of macOS are a work of art. History was changed. I spent half my day in a wonderful, trouble free, full of solutions inviroment after many long freakin years of windows torture.
Why i love this community: I am back to macOS full time baby!!!

Ahh ... wanted to get it out of my system. if off topic i didn't mean to, greened the in topic ones... :) :p
Cheers everybody!!

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
After 3 years of Custmac-ing i managed to find solutions in several problems that i had left to the self as unsolvable, just in this one thread. In addition- and most important for the topic- i can now easily setup Customacs for friends (that they probably wont need me when they upgrade) so they can enjoy the beauty of macOS like almost owning a mac, and smile again in front of a PC.
This is what I want to see. People trying and using macOS without having to sell a kidney for a new iMac. I started using OS X Tiger back in 2005 and only take my Windose medicine when I absolutely have to. It always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It is hard to switch to anything different having used macOS for so long. Good to see some macOS enthusiasm posted here :thumbup:

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Motherboard
Asus X79 Deluxe
CPU
E5-1680 V2
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
What were the results ?
Well, you asked so...
No results yet. I canceled my EVO plus order as advised. Silverstone has probably taken the long road from the other side of the planet, although the store is 40 km away from my house (ahh those tourists.... :p) so i am still waiting. It will arrive a bit aged but so experienced... !!. Plan was to wait for the card and then order the EVO 970. Meanwhile i burned my 3930K (!!!) so i returned to my E5-2670 and i am thinking of buying a 1680v2 but these are the money for the EVO.... :mrgreen: what a life....
So as i said, i will report back when i have news. I try to not forget people who helped me :)

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010 MT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mobile Phone
Android
Here is a link to my on-going transplant from the 7010 MT tower to the PowerMac G4 Digital Audio case.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Another 16GB G.Skill DDR3 Ram Kit Deal at Newegg
These are selling for $64.95 this week at newegg.com. Fully compatible 1.5V and the lowest CL9 latency you can use with the Dell Optiplex. Just remember that the heatsinks on these do fit in the USFF. These modules don't fit SFF cases (unless you remove the HDD) so buy them only if you have a 7010/9010 USFF, DT or MT PC. This kit maxes out the ram in the USFF. In the DT or MT you can add a second kit now or later on to max out at 32GB of ram.

16GB is the sweet spot for ram. Not so much you'll never use it, not too little so that you run out when it's needed. You want a matched kit for the best performance with macOS. At these prices, it makes more sense to get this kit than an 8GB version. That sells for $45 plus shipping.

1556928041725.png

Last edited:
Mobile Phone
iOS
is it possible to install mojave on my Dell optiplex 7020.
My config is
Cpu: i7-4790 3.6 GHZ
Ram: 16 GB
Storage: 120 GB WG ssd and 500 hdd
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4600

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
is it possible to install mojave on my Dell optiplex 7020.
My config is
Cpu: i7-4790 3.6 GHZ
Ram: 16 GB
Storage: 120 GB WG ssd and 500 hdd
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4600
Yes, but not with the files provided in this guide. The 7020 uses a completely different chipset. Look for a 7020/9020 guide.

From the comments section of this guide:
Do not use this guide's custom SSDTs and config.plist with the Dell 9010 AIO or the Dell 3020, 7020 or 9020 models. They have been created specifically for the 7010/9010 desktops and nothing else. They don't work with the other Dell models mentioned here.