Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've revised part of the beginning comments section so it now goes like this:

I had hoped that putting the picture of the 4 models USFF, SFF, DT and MT right at the beginning would send a clear message that this guide was only meant for these 4 machines from Dell and no others.
@trs96, you’ve obviously seen my posts praising your guide. Your work inspired me to complete every Optiplex 9010, and I know I went off script to try the AIO. I am working on it merely for fun of the challenge. I posted with questions here about the performance mostly because this thread has been an excellent conversation and had a matching post about geekbench scores when I did a search. Perhaps that was inappropriate, and really it belongs in a thread of its own. Obviously I’m new to this space, both hackintoshing and the etiquette of tonymacx86.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Perhaps that was inappropriate, and really it belongs in a thread of its own. Obviously I’m new to this space, both hackintoshing and the etiquette of tonymacx86.
It's not a problem. Your researching this here will be helpful to others if they want to try and get the AIO working. It would seem that it should be similar to install the same way that works for 9010 desktops but that is not the case. The difference between the AIO Dell and the other form factors is that the built in monitor gives the AIO characteristics of a laptop that have to be dealt with. That is what makes the 9010 AIO install and post install more complicated to figure out.

Anyway, these posts are related enough to be on topic and will help others make a decision whether or not to try this. When you do figure it out it certainly would be good to post a User Build specific to this 9010 AIO. That's what we're all about here, doing research and posting the results for others to learn from. Finding one in good condition for a really low price may be a good option for those who want an alternative to the high priced used iMacs that are available.

To look at this from another angle, the guide I've posted here gives the reader everything in it's finished form. It makes it almost too easy. They only learn some basics. It's like a hackintosh 101 course. By choosing the AIO you've been able to learn a lot more than what you could with your other 4 Dells. More like taking an advanced class. If you're interested in taking on bigger challenges that's great and how you learn to make things work by trial and error. If you keep trying you'll eventually get it fully working.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370 G 7-F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0 GHz
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
I am looking for the cheapest solution to build a Hackintosh into an old eMac. CRT is already replaced with an LCD, so there is room to fit a small system. Is it feasible to use the components from an Optiplex and replace the cooler?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I am looking for the cheapest solution to build a Hackintosh into an old eMac. CRT is already replaced with an LCD, so there is room to fit a small system. Is it feasible to use the components from an Optiplex and replace the cooler?
If you look at the USFF motherboard and it's stock Dell cooler on Ebay listings you'll see that it could probably work inside an eMac. Dell has used 5 pin fan headers on all of these motherboards and you need to use their coolers/fans to get any kind of PWM control of fan speeds. The 5 to 4 pin adapters don't really give you any PWM regulation of fan speeds.

It looks like the board was based on mini-stx form factor. The shape is modified some for the Dell case it came in.

Here's the custom Dell copper heatsink an cooler fan. I've ran mine fanless and the temps stayed low enough. These can be found for about 10 dollars on Ebay. I would stay with this for a cooler.

The 80+ gold psu for these is also worth buying. Mine is quiet and its rated 200W so it can handle an i7-3770s easily.

Sounds like an interesting and fun case mod project. Let us know how this works out. :thumbup:

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Screen Shots of the 7 steps of the Guide
For anyone interested I've made some screenshots of the seven steps and attached them. They are not high resolution but very readable. Keep them as a backup for future reference. Seems that everything is finalized and fully working so I'm not planning any changes to it. There is also a roughly 40 MB attachment I've added at the end of post #1 that includes everything. Download that too if interested. It makes it so you could complete the whole guide even while offline as long as you already have the macOS installer. I've changed the guide recently to use Clover r4920 instead of RM's. It doesn't look like that will get an update so we're now going with the official Clover version from Sourceforge.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370 G 7-F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0 GHz
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
If you look at the USFF motherboard and it's stock Dell cooler on Ebay listings you'll see that it could probably work inside an eMac. Dell has used 5 pin fan headers on all of these motherboards and you need to use their coolers/fans to get any kind of PWM control of fan speeds. The 5 to 4 pin adapters don't really give you any PWM regulation of fan speeds.

It looks like the board was based on mini-stx form factor. The shape is modified some for the Dell case it came in.

Here's the custom Dell copper heatsink an cooler fan. I've ran mine fanless and the temps stayed low enough. These can be found for about 10 dollars on Ebay. I would stay with this for a cooler.
View attachment 402818
The 80+ gold psu for these is also worth buying. Mine is quiet and its rated 200W so it can handle an i7-3770s easily.

View attachment 402819
Sounds like an interesting and fun case mod project. Let us know how this works out. :thumbup:

View attachment 402817
Cheers! Lost interest when you mentioned the fan restrictions, but then read fanless PSU heatsink and quiet PSU.. nice! Maybe I can passively cool the CPU and use a couple of PWM fans to keep case temps down (connected to a separate fan controller with probe).

Priorities are low cost and near silent operation. Definitely considering going this route. Will I have any problems playing multichannel 1080p movies on my projector from this? Idea would be to use internal graphics via HDMI and an USB audio interface for the encoded audio stream.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Will I have any problems playing multichannel 1080p movies on my projector from this? Idea would be to use internal graphics via HDMI
It will work with HD4000. These only have 2 DP outputs and no HDMI but you can easily adapt DP to HDMI if needed.
If all you need is a basic i3-3225 CPU you could do fanless pretty easily or like you said just a couple of case fans with a controller would work. I would avoid the i7-3770 though, that would be too warm for fanless.