Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Not sure why those numbers are so low. The S version is lower clocked but shouldn't have that much effect. Did you get the built in display to work on the AIO 9010 yet ? You'll also need to run Intel Power Gadget to see how the CPU is actually performing. Post a pic of that here.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 12.59.59 PM.pngGeekbench4-Windows10.PNG
Power Gadget from macOS + (Geekbench from Windows 10 looks near to what I expected) (I have dual boot).

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Did you get the built in display to work on the AIO 9010 yet ?
Yes, latest Lilu + Whatevergreen, working nicely with this install. I today changed to iMac13,1 to reflect closer to this Optiplex AIO. Assume that is okay?

Here's my snippet of config.plist
<key>Comment</key>
<string>This file is for Dell Optiplex 9010 AIO</string>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
</dict>
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)</key>
<dict>
<key>#Comment</key>
<string>Realtek ALC269 Audio Configuration</string>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>layout-id</key>
<integer>11</integer>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>CgBmAQ==</data>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>YgEAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</dict>

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Power Gadget from macOS + (Geekbench from Windows 10 looks near to what I expected) (I have dual boot).
The numbers in Win 10 are fine the ones in macOS are not. Run the Intel Power gadget app while you are doing the GB test while running macOS and not Windows. See if the CPU is getting up to any turbo speeds or not.

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
The numbers in Win 10 are fine the ones in macOS are not. Run the Intel Power gadget app while you are doing the GB test while running macOS and not Windows. See if the CPU is getting up to any turbo speeds or not.
Ha. So something must be amiss!
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 1.17.47 PM.png

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
That's what I expected to see. Upload your Clover Folder as zip. Did you use an SSDT for CPU PM ? Is it correct for the 3770 S ?
I used the files from this guide, so maybe not?

Attachments

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I used the files from this guide
It think you may have gotten your config.plists mixed up or tried different settings. You could have used one for the HP 8300 instead. You definitely want to use Mac mini 6,1 SMBIOS and Audio Layout ID 21.

So redownload the config.plist attached to post #1. Try that, if it works, then do the iMessage setup part of the guide in step #7.

Motherboard
NUC7
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
It think you may have gotten your config.plists mixed up or tried different settings. You could have used one for the HP 8300 instead. You definitely want to use Mac mini 6,1 SMBIOS and Audio Layout ID 21.

View attachment 402491

So redownload the config.plist attached to post #1. Try that, if it works, then do the iMessage setup part of the guide in step #7.
This is an edited version of the config.plist. Audio layout ID 21 does not work with this motherboard. I tested every single possible setting for audio layout possible for ALC269 and only 11 and 15 provide audio out to the side headphone port and the internal speakers of the AIO. I could never get the rear audio port to work at all. Took about 3 hours of changing layout ID and rebooting :p.
I can switch back to Mac mini 6,1... however, iMac13,1 also has i7-3770S that year.. why is macmini6,1 preferred? Motherboard is Q77 chipset, but definitely different with LDVS onboard and HDMI out. It’s been quite the challenge to get the screen working and I’m not sure I learned how to use the Hackintool quite completely. Graphics definitely wonky with the platform ID and trying to define the ports by type, etc.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Graphics definitely wonky with the platform ID and trying to define the ports by type, etc.
This is why I've only ever recommended the standalone desktops and not the AIO. I never considered testing one for inclusion in this guide. The AIO 9010s have a low quality 1080p TN panel that can't be changed. There is a lengthy article about this on the Anandtech website that was written when these were initially released. To sum it up, they liked it but felt that the low cost TN panel was it's weakest link.
I can switch back to Mac mini 6,1... however, iMac13,1 also has i7-3770S that year.. why is macmini6,1 preferred?
iMac 13,x is the best matching SMBIOS for this hardware but the 2012 iMac has some custom ports implemented from Apple into USBPort native macOS kext, which makes it a poor choice for use with this hackintosh.
The config.plist, SSDTs and especially the USB-SSDT were created for the 2012 Mac mini system def. So it may be that you'd need to go through the process of mapping the ports for the AIO to create a unique USB-SSDT that works with Mac mini 6,2.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I've revised part of the beginning comments section so it now goes like this:
The Dell Optiplex 3010 models use the older Intel H61 chipset. You might get macOS installed with this guide but they won't work reliably. Avoid using this guide for the Optiplex 3010. Do not use this guide's custom SSDTs and config.plist with the Dell 9010 AIO or the Dell 3020, 7020 or 9020 models. They have been created specifically for the 7010/9010 desktops and their Q77 chipset. They don't work with the other Dell models mentioned above.
I had hoped that putting the picture of the 4 models USFF, SFF, DT and MT right at the beginning would send a clear message that this guide was only meant for these 4 machines from Dell and no others.

Last edited: