Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
K600- just bought one in the Uk from this link on ebay and swapped it straight in hoping it would just work - it didnt. Sticker shows K600 and the only thing I have tried so far is to change the BIOS to boot Nvidia graphics first.
Not got any time atm for fiddling but if anyone has any advice ... thanks.
Interested to know if you got the HP version of this graphics card. There is also a PNY version. I've read somewhere that the HP version doesn't work with "older Dell computers" but it didn't say how old or which specific models. It may have been on an Ebay listing that I read this. Don't recall which seller though. You can check yours by looking at this sticker:

Maybe it's possible that HP does something to the VBIOS that makes them incompatible with Dell desktops ?

For anyone who's going to buy a K600 it's probably best to go with PNY to avoid any problems like this if they exist.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
The seller may have listed it wrong. If the label doesn't say K600 it's the older Fermi based 600 version. You can also boot into windows and check it with GPU-Z to make sure of what it is. The Quadro 600 is not supported in Mojave. The picture from the link I posted shows the K600 on the top edge of the shroud but maybe the seller just used a stock picture.

View attachment 400819

Here's another way to tell one from the other. Look at the capacitors on the front and how they are arranged.

View attachment 400827 This is the K600

View attachment 400828 This is the 600 model.
Thanks trs96. I did receive the 600 model, and NOT the K600. I contacted the seller. Their photos show a K600, as determinable by the capacity arrangement that you highlight. I have requested a return.

Interested to know if you got the HP version of this graphics card. There is also a PNY version. I've read somewhere that the HP version doesn't work with "older Dell computers" but it didn't say how old or which specific models. It may have been on an Ebay listing that I read this. Don't recall which seller though. You can check yours by looking at this sticker:

View attachment 400821

Maybe it's possible that HP does something to the VBIOS that makes them incompatible with Dell desktops ?

For anyone who's going to buy a K600 it's probably best to go with PNY to avoid any problems like this if they exist.

View attachment 400822
I received the PNY version of the 600.
I will keep a look out during my next eBay search, and will ask seller ahead of time, for specifics on the K600 before I purchase, so that I can avoid the HP version.

this is working with 14,2 sys defs - not noticed any issues (except more power being used) not doing anything to tesy graphics power.
Images of actual card received attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_184730144.jpg
    IMG_20190421_184730144.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20190421_184740147.jpg
    IMG_20190421_184740147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I will keep a look out during my next eBay search, and will ask seller ahead of time, for specifics on the K600 before I purchase, so that I can avoid the HP version.
Just ordered one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/133012026761 Put in a note to the seller. "Make sure to send the K600 and not the 600 as I can't use the latter." They identify it correctly in their pictures and title (VCQK600-T) as the PNY version. They do also sell the 600 model so I don't want another mixup again. I hate sending stuff back when it isn't what I've ordered.

Last edited:
Hi, It is working - might you have missed this post?
I did see that but was wondering why it wouldn't work with Mac mini 6,1. Have you had to stay with iMac 14,3 ? I would rather use 6,2 and keep CPU power management and my generated serials etc.

sry trs - realised you were not talking with me and edited that post. Power management seems to be fine - the only issue is the keyboard/mouse doesnt wake it up and I have to press power button to wake.

Images of actual card received attached.
It doesn't say anything about HP so it probably isn't one that was sold installed in an HP workstation.

sry trs - realised you were not talking with me and edited that post. Power management seems to be fine - the only issue is the keyboard/mouse doesnt wake it up and I have to press power button to wake.
What system def. is it working with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back