Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had in mind upgrading to a 1680 v2 and filling all these (4) PCiE slots with controllers for NVMe, SATA, USBC and stuff like that to keep it fresh.
Since you've already got 3 X79 systems it might be good to have 1 Q77 that can be used more for everyday things and not be as complicated in terms of maintenance and upgrades. I don't use my 7010 and 9010 on a daily basis but they are filling specific needs I have and always work and are a joy to use. I didn't buy the MT because I've already got a custom mATX and ATX system with Gigabyte motherboards. Those have been rock solid too. The MT Dell is really a mATX form factor motherboard and case that they just call a Mini Tower because it's the largest of the four in this series.

I used this guide verbatim, a couple weeks ago, and installed Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 90XX SFF without making any changes to the provided files etc., I was able to update to 10.14.4 from 10.14.3.3

I just tried this bluetooth adaptor that I bought for another project, I stuck in the front USB on my Optiplex and it's working without issue so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXGYS30/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I used this guide verbatim, a couple weeks ago, and installed Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 90XX SFF without making any changes to the provided files etc., I was able to update to 10.14.4 from 10.14.3.3
What is the exact model # of your Dell ? Is it the 9020 ? Have you tested that everything works normally ? Test all the USB 3 ports and make sure they work at USB 3 speeds. Test all audio/mic jacks in and out. Does it sleep and wake normally etc. If you want to provide PR files post in the Optiplex 7020/9020 guide thread.

I'm not willing to turn this guide into a Dell 7020/9020 support thread. That guide is in need of a lot more research and development. If you post your PR files there and have people review them it would be a good first step to making that guide more complete and usable. It's not the best idea to simply apply this guides config.plist and SSDTs to a Q87 Haswell system. They are similar but also have many differences.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited:
Hi. Has anyone actually put the Seasonic listed on Post#1 into an MT case? I purchased that exact model and am attempting to install this weekend. It will not fit. It is 16cm in length, 2cm bigger than the stock Dell psu. The lovely (and I mean that sincerely, although I am cursing its size/design at the moment) is just big enough between the lever catch and the lock/rear of the case that ONLY 14cm or smaller will drop in between them. I can't angle is from the side... the build-in mobo standoffs are in the way, as well as the bent metal guide rails in the bottom of the case.
So frustrated at the moment. I really don't want to take a dremel to the latching mechanism. It was a minor inconveniece already to remove the motherboard only to find out that it didn't make a difference.

Am I missing something simple? Even something complex? Anything before return this and look for another PSU (I pulled the trigger and bought the Sapphire Pulse and I was hoping to get that installed this weekend!)

Hi. Has anyone actually put the Seasonic listed on Post#1 into an MT case? I purchased that exact model and am attempting to install this weekend. It will not fit. It is 16cm in length, 2cm bigger than the stock Dell psu.
Did you buy the M12II or something else from Seasonic ? The M12II is only 5.91 inches or 15cm

Did you buy the M12II or something else from Seasonic ? The M12II is only 5.91 inches or 15cm

View attachment 399637
Box in hand, I have the Seasonic M12II Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V. Box says dimmensions are 160 x 150 x 86mm and I have measured it too.. It is 160mm from the power switch to the modular connectors.

Also, the only apparent way for this to mount is with the fan large facing into the case, or else nearly directly against "side/top" of the case, the latter orientation makes no sense for airlow. The stock Dell PSU goes from connector to power switch in-line straight through orientation, drawing air from near the rear of the optical drive area.

Box in hand, I have the Seasonic M12II Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V. Box says dimmensions are 160 x 150 x 86mm and I have measured it too.. It is 160mm from the power switch to the modular connectors.
OK, you'll need to return/exchange this for a smaller one. The specs I read online must have been wrong. If you can exchange it for the newer S12 III model, 500W or more, that should fit as it's not as long. I don't own the MT version of this so thanks for reporting that the M12 II is too big.

Here's an EVGA model that will also fit. Not as nice as the Seasonic but you can find lower prices for these.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6CV7765

Last edited:
Here's a video showing the PSU being swapped out for the EVGA 450W model.

OK, you'll need to return/exchange this for a smaller one. The specs I read online must have been wrong. If you can exchange it for the newer S12 III model, 500W or more, that should fit as it's not as long. I don't own the MT version of this so thanks for reporting that the M12 II is too big.

Here's an EVGA model that will also fit. Not as nice as the Seasonic but you can find lower prices for these.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6CV7765
Considering this one...
It is currently on sale and has a $15 rebate, and is compact and semi-modular.
However, it is 450W. So am I really pushing the lower power requirement to get it for $40?

However, it is 450W. So am I really pushing the lower power requirement to get it for $40?
Since it's Gold rated it is more efficient. I think the 450W version should be plenty for an RX570. You won't be overclocking the CPU or graphics card so no need to get a 500W or higher rated one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back