Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backup your existing .plist first. Then delete it from your Clover folder. Add the one I've attached below and see if the sound works after a reboot. Note that you must have Lilu and AppleALC kexts installed for it to work. Install them to /L/E with kextbeast if you are running HS or Mojave and not Catalina.

You should also remove the SSDT-ALC221.aml from the ACPI/patched folder if you have that there.

Thank you.
work for me only with layout-id: 0B000000
No dsdt in Opencore.

I have a couple HP 8300 Elites and I’d like to use one of them (A HP 8300 SFF - i7 3370 intel HD 4000) as a backup to another Hack that still uses Yosemite.

Can I follow this guide, using the same attachments to successfully install Yosemite on it?

Many thanks in advance

I have a couple HP 8300 Elites and I’d like to use one of them (A HP 8300 SFF - i7 3370 intel HD 4000) as a backup to another Hack that still uses Yosemite.

Can I follow this guide, using the same attachments to successfully install Yosemite on it?

Many thanks in advance
I haven't tested that so not sure. Let us know how it works. Try the Yosemite versions of Unibeast and Multibeast and see what happens. Set the BIOS for UEFI and make a UEFI UB installer.

Last edited:
Complete Video Guide for High Sierra Installation on the HP 6300 / 8300

Important Note: If this is your first install of High Sierra or you are attempting a clean re-install you'll want to follow the new Updated for 2020 video guide. See the new video guide for 2020.

Choose from the various HP Desktop Form Factors

View attachment 366512

Click here to see the HP 8300 SFF on Amazon.com

Update 10-17-19

My original HP 6300/8300 guide was written for Sierra back in June of 2017. A lot has changed since then and macOS Catalina is now the newest public release. If you are just starting out with one of these HP desktops and want to use Catalina, I'd suggest that you follow the UEFI hot patching guide by Sniki. It is a different approach that is required to get the this HP completely functional with Catalina. If you are thinking about upgrading to Catalina then you should also try a clean install of Catalina on a separate disk. Try that guide and see if it works for you. I will not be updating this guide for Catalina.

Buy the Sandisk USB flash drive recommended in the video guide (This is for making a High Sierra UniBeast installer)
These are 16GB USB 2.0 drives that work best when connected to a USB 2.0 port on your HP 6300 / 8300 CustoMac.

View attachment 344198

The lowest cost Natively Supported Graphics Card
If you have a CPU like the i5-3470 with HD2500 and only need basic working graphics for your HP desktop, have a look at the Nvidia GT 710. It will work in either High Sierra or Mojave. There are many low profile versions and 1 and 2GB versions that you can choose from. Remember to use only the HDMI or DVI ports when running macOS on your HP. Make sure to purchase a DDR3 version like the one below. The ones with GDDR5 memory may not work with macOS High Sierra.
EDIT: With macOS Mojave the GDDR5 versions are now working. They don't need the Nvidia web drivers installed. According to reports from HP 8300/GT 710 w/GDDR5 owners.
Installing macOS Mojave
If you want to begin with a clean install of Mojave instead of High Sierra you can use this guide with the Mojave versions of Unibeast and Multibeast. Also make sure to use the latest Apple ALC and Lilu kexts if not using VoodooHDA for your audio.

There is a new Mojave guide for the HP 8300 by Sniki posted in the Mojave Desktop Guides forum. His guide is for more advanced users, not beginners. It's the guide to use if you are an iOS developer or if you have previous experience using terminal and some basic coding experience. Use that guide for the complete install and post install of Mojave. Post any related questions there.

Comments
There is a supplemental guide in post #2 to enable Native macOS HD audio via the onboard Realtek ALC 221 audio chip. Do not install VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler kexts if you want to use the onboard ALC221. Perform this step as the last one if you will not be using the Voodoo HDA method demonstrated in the Complete Video Guide.

The following High Sierra install guide assumes that you have already made your UEFI bootable High Sierra UniBeast installer and have flashed your HP BIOS to at least v02.99 and after the BIOS flash, restored factory defaults as in the Sierra Guide. It is a shortened version for those who have previous experience or who have already installed Sierra on their HP desktop computer.

This guide (above) will convert your SSD to APFS
Mechanical HDDs will stay with HFS+ file system

View the video guide: "Prevent APFS conversion" below if you want to keep the HFS+ file system on your SSD boot drive. If you do switch to APFS then do not enable TRIM post install. It will only create long boot times that you may not want.

1. Make a bootable Clone of your macOS system drive. Use CCC, Super Duper or Acronis True Image. If you choose CCC remember to copy and paste the ESP's EFI folder from your Sierra EFI partition to the newly cloned drive.

2. Disconnect the sata data cable from all other drives in your system before trying to update to High Sierra. This includes any Windows installs, Linux or even other drives used for backups.

3. Make sure you've upgraded Clover on your Sierra installation to the newest version. FakeSMC should also be updated. Place a copy of it in the Kexts/Other folder on your system drive. Finally APFS.efi should be placed in the drivers64UEFI folder as per this guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/

4. If you are upgrading from Sierra 10.12.6 you can simply skip the format of your hard drive at the 1:10 timestamp point in the video. Then all of your data and installed applications will remain after you have installed High Sierra.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 is the last version available. For your install use the 10.13.6 version of High Sierra, UniBeast 8.3.2 and MultiBeast 10.4.0. Link to the downloads section.
I have tried High Sierra with both APFS and HFS+ file systems and both work without problems on my HP 6300 Pro. You'll have to do your own research to determine what will be the best for you. For now I'm staying with HFS+ when I do decide to upgrade my main Sierra drive. It may be wise to let APFS evolve some more before switching file systems.

If you allow the APFS conversion on your SSD it's best to not dual boot with other drives that are still HFS+ format. It greatly slows down the boot time of your APFS High Sierra drive.

If you do choose to avoid APFS conversion start with the following video below. It would have been confusing to include that part of the guide in the primary video. The No-Convert script will only work if you use a UniBeast created installer.
All of the progress bars in this video have been accelerated. Expect the complete install to take 40 minutes or more.

This guide will prevent your SSD's APFS conversion

No-Convert Script - bash terminal command​
Code:
/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert
Enter this into Terminal exactly as it is shown above in the code box.​
When in latest Unibeast 8.4.0 for high sierra in select OS installation window i receive, No OS Installation Selected message.

Hello,

After I install Multibeast I get a kernel panic. I follow every step in the video but it always breaks. Did I mess something up?

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    83.4 KB · Views: 89
Note to everyone having problems. You should be following the new 2020 video guide instead of the older High Sierra Guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...the-hp-8300-elite-6300-pro-desktop-pc.295952/ The old guide is posted here because it still contains much helpful info that is not in the newer guide.

The primary difference with the new 2020 guide is that all kexts are injected by Clover. They reside in the Clover folder of the EFI partition instead of in /L/E. All questions about that guide should be posted there instead of here.

Last edited:
Phil's Computer Lab HP SFF Desktop Refurbishing/Upgrade Video

If the HP desktop you've purchased isn't in grade A condition, needs more ram, quieter fans and a dedicated graphics card, watch Phil's video to learn how to make it into a like new machine for your macOS High Sierra installation.
Greetings folks,

I have a question that I hope proves to be simple to answer and one that should hopefully upgrade me into the realm of the somewhat, uninformed newbie.

I checked out Phil's Computer Lab video above and removed the CD/DVD Rom Drive and installed the 5.25 drive bay with USB 3.0 and space for 2 HDs. Now I'm ready to do my hack and when I start up the BIOS, I just get a single beep. No action. Just one short beep.

According to my little research, the 1 short beep = Legacy floppy drive or CD/DVD drive not detected.

I checked the cables and they are in place and fine.

Could my problem be that the HD is not formatted?
Could it be that I must use a CD/DVD drive?

Has any one else done this mod/upgrade or experienced this conundrum?

Many thanks in advance.

Could my problem be that the HD is not formatted?
Could it be that I must use a CD/DVD drive?

Has any one else done this mod/upgrade or experienced this conundrum?
Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that USB or the SSD is first in boot order. You don't have to keep any dvd drive connected to boot up your HP.

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that USB or the SSD is first in boot order. You don't have to keep any dvd drive connected to boot up your HP.
Many thanks for the swift response.

I can't get the BIOS to load.
Just the single beep and the black screen.

I know that is completely absolutely weird, the BIOS is supposed to be accessible.
... and as a PC builder, I know that my inexperience is as much of a problem as the hardware.

Where should I start to trace my problem?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back