Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why even though for testing purpose I'll probably buy one of those cheap pci-e sata adapters as well (they have long and shorts brackets and I have many computers where I can put them) I have decided that I will stick to the best gadget I used for my Customacs so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788FQJPZ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Since you'll never use the 3 operating systems at the same time, this solution gives you the opportunity to leave one of the 3 ssds (for me it's win 10) mounted in the pc and attached to port Sata1 (which is sata3 speed) and insert 1 of the other 2 ssds (mac and linux) in the bay (connected to sata0 port, also sata3 speed) when you need them, beefore booting.

Also this bay gives you the opportunity to insert a removable 3,5" mechanichal hard disk (hot swap at least in windows) attached to port sata1 (sata2 speed) which leaves the "slow" esata port (also sata2 speed) available for the dvd or another mechanical hard disk mounted inside the computer case.

I have used one of these bay inside an hp 8300 SFF (replacing the dvd) and they are fantastic.

Thanks for the link and ideas Algernon!
i am planning on a Mac/Win/Linux tripple drives boot just as you.
Still trying to figure the best strategy to expand beyond just one SSD as of now and to optimize the overall speed of this HP6300 i7 8Gb.
I am planning on using this HP6300 for audio recording/production and video editing.
Audio/Video would alsways benefit from highest possible input/output reed/write speeds achievable on this old machines

The Mac OS would be used for Audio/Video editing and needs to be the fastest ( Main SSD 120Gb drive) .
Windows 10 just for very occasional use ( no fast disk required i am not a windows user really)
and Linux for networking and learning the terminal ( so no speed required here either) .

The storage expansion plan is :
SSD 1 120Gb ( SATA 3.0) OSX . ( Installed now)
HDD 2 ( SATA 3.0 ) 7200Rpm only for Data - Audio/Video Files . ( yet to get and to be installed)
SSD 3 120Gb SATA2.0 ( Windows) . ( to be installed)
SSD 4 120Gb SATA 2.0 ( Linux) ( to be installed)

Would it be easy to boot from any of the 3 SSD's from Clover , or is it better to make them swappable?

Just for the info my DVD/HDD bay is empty , so to just swap one SSD for enother before reboot - could be one of the solutions , although i am not sure its safe for the "naked" SSD's to be constantly shuffled around like USB sticks ? ;)
and btw, your English is better than mine !

Last edited:
One other addition to make for working front USB 3.0 ports. Buy the KT4006 by Inateck. Plug it into a x1 slot and you can have front USB 3 that works at USB 3 speeds. Even adds two more USB 3 ports in the back of the case too.

Yes, I have a similar card in my hp 8200. The combination with the KKMoon tray caddy mentioned above gave that old usb2.0-only machine 4 faster usb 3.0 ports, actually it turned it into the only Hp Elite with usb 3.0 ports on the front (since neither the 6300 or 8300 sff or mt have them).

The problem is that now I'm working on a Dell 7010 MT and the video card is leaving me space for only 1 pci-e card and I will probably use it for a pci sata 3.0 in the future. Ok the 7010 has it's 2 usb 3.0 ports in the front but leaving the tray caddy ports unplugged still looks like a shame to my eyes.

Thanks for the link and ideas Algernon!
i am planning on a Mac/Win/Linux tripple drives boot just as you.
Still trying to figure the best strategy to expand beyond just one SSD as of now and to optimize the overall speed of this HP6300 i7 8Gb.
I am planning on using this HP6300 for audio recording/production and video editing.
Audio/Video would alsways benefit from highest possible input/output reed/write speeds achievable on this old machines

The storage expansion plan is :
SSD 1 120Gb ( SATA 3.0) OSX . ( Installed now)
HDD 2 ( SATA 3.0 ) 7200Rpm only for Data - Audio/Video Files . ( yet to get and to be installed)
SSD 3 120Gb SATA2.0 ( Windows) . ( to be installed)
SSD 4 120Gb SATA 2.0 ( Linux) ( to be installed)

Would it be easy to boot from any of the 3 SSD's from Clover , or is it better to make them swappable?

Well, if maximum speed for all of the 3 OS isn't necessary then you probably don't need neither a pci-e sata card nor a swappable tray caddy, by the way you need to have 4 sata ports on your pc (1 sata3.0 for mac os, 2 sata 2.0 for Windows and Linux, 1 E-sata 2.0 for the storage 7200rpm HDD), I think your HP6300 should have those.

The only advice I would give you is to get a larger SSD for your main OS. Audio producing software is hungry for space and everything (daw, plugins, banks, libraries, samples etc) will benefit A LOT of the speed of modern SSDs.

Windows 10 just for very occasional use ( no fast disk required i am not a windows user really)
and Linux for networking and learning the terminal ( so no speed required here either) .

If you don't plan to use Windows to play games, maybe you can try virtual machines if you haven't already done it. They are a much simpler and easier solution rather than to switch off and turn on another OS; and there would be no need for additional SSDs also, though keep in mind that each VM requires some disk space.
I haven't used Virtual Machines yet on Mac but I'm quite familiar with Virtualbox and VmWare on both Windows and Linux and if you have enough ram they run really well.

Just for the info my DVD/HDD bay is empty , so to just swap one SSD for enother before reboot - could be one of the solutions , although i am not sure its safe for the "naked" SSD's to be constantly shuffled around like USB sticks ? ;)

The swappable solutions helps to keep you from messing things up (example: formatting the wrong disk) but as I said you can as well keep all the 4 disks installed at the same time without any major complication.
I think it's going to be no problem for clover to handle the choice of the 3 OS and anyway you could always choose which OS you want to start from the Bios.

As for the concern about the safety of the unplugged ssds, they can be stored in a drawer and there are many further DIY solutions you can use to keep them safe. Besides the fact that being so light they are much less delicate to handle than mechanical spinning disks, but maybe that's just an impression of mine.

Is anyone successfully multi booting on the ONE SSD/HDD? Three OS (Windows/MacOS/Linux)? I've tried following @Going Bald 's great guide but there is no option to change the UEFI selection (it seems to be stuck at Windows Boot Manager regardless). Is there some way to change that on the HP?

FIXED but by renaming the Windows UEFI and renaming Clover as well to that

Last edited:
I cannot get my sound out of my monitor HDMI cable (i7 3770 with HD4000 graphics). Is there something special I need to do (its greyed out). Thanks

hello. I have a HP 6300 pro with i3 3220 and 4gb ram. Its possible to intall mac Os? Working with on board graphics or i need vga (i have 1030 low profile). Its possible to intall thiw with acronis image clone to ssd?

Its possible to intall mac Os? Working with on board graphics or i need vga (i have 1030 low profile). Its possible to intall thiw with acronis image clone to ssd?
With a 1030 you'll need to start with High Sierra and not Mojave. Keep your 1030 installed during the install. You only need to use Acronis later on after the complete install and post install. Follow the guide in post #1.

hello. I have a HP 6300 pro with i3 3220 and 4gb ram. Its possible to intall mac Os? Working with on board graphics or i need vga (i have 1030 low profile). Its possible to intall thiw with acronis image clone to ssd?

Onboard wont work with HD2500.. Will work for CPUs with HD4000 but I still cannot get audio working and cannot believe I am the only person using onboard HD4000.....

How to Activate ALC221 Audio and your Front Microphone Jack
In post #2 of this thread, I posted a guide to patch your DSDT for working ALC221 audio. That patch doesn't enable the front combo Mic/Headphone jack. If you absolutely need that Mic input to work, you can now use an SSDT and the Codec Commander kext + a minor config.plist edit to get a working Mic jack . If you don't use that front mic jack, simply continue to use your previously patched DSDT for working ALC221 audio. Credit for the ALC221 SSDT.aml goes to: Sniki

0. Remove the VoodooHDA and AppleHDA Disabler kexts if you had installed those previously.

1. Remove your patched DSDT from Clover/ACPI/patched and put it in a folder to keep as a backup option.
  2. Back up your current working Clover config.plist. You could put it in the same folder as your patched DSDT.
(this is done in case your edits don't work or the new config.plist gets corrupted some how.)

3. Open your system drive's Clover config.plist with a plist editor and make the following change of the Audio Layout ID from 11 to 0. (The DSDT patching guide suggested the change to 11. Yours may already be set to 0)

View attachment 377940

4. Edit your system drive's Clover config.plist with the following entry in the Devices section. It should be entered just after the Inject Audio Layout ID section shown above. (Use a plist editor like PlistEdit Pro or BBedit to make the edit. Do not use the Mac text edit app)

Code:
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
      <key>PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)</key>
      <dict>
          <key>#Comment</key>
          <string>Realtek ALC221 Audio Configuration</string>
          <key>hda-gfx</key>
          <string>onboard-1</string>
          <key>layout-id</key>
          <integer>11</integer>
      </dict>
</dict>

Here's how it should look when you've finished the edit:
View attachment 377890

This screenshot is from the Devices/Properties section in Clover Configurator

View attachment 387389

1. Download the two attached files, RehabMan-Codec Commander kext and the SSDT for ALC221
  2. Install Codec Commander to /L/E/ with Kextbeast
  3. Drag and drop the SSDT-ALC221.aml into your Clover/ACPI/patched folder
  4. Make sure you've got the latest versions of Lilu and AppleALC kexts installed to /L/E
  5. Reboot and test out your front combo mic/headphone jack
I have a problem when I edit de config.plist for put the code text. I wrote it in the right position but when I save the archive, the code text change and it's puts after FaikeID lines.
I tried diferents Editor but the result is the same.
The result is that the patch don't work. ¿is that the reason?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 11.56.56.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 11.56.56.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 11.59.23.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-04-26 a las 11.59.23.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back