Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of shocking to see the retail price of this HP 8300 MT with an i5 when we can get them refurbished at a fraction of the price. This is still for sale new at Office Depot in the USA. I guess that corporate customers have huge IT budgets and don't care about what the price is.
Screen Shot 3.jpg

I have had success using dual monitors by hot-plugging the second one after booting up. This is with my GTX 1050 in a 6300 Pro with legacy support disabled. It's a minor annoyance but still doable.

Thank you to both karoli9 and trs96, I've had some success with the whole thing, I added the number of vga ports in config.plist and it seems to be working alright-ish. So far I restarted the machine a few times and seems to boot with both screens. Not bug-free though, sometimes when it goes to screensaver I can't get back into desktop, as soon as I move the mouse it hangs on the screen saver and is unresponsive until hard restart. But this is minor annoyance, the cable plugging after the pc starts also works, but also intermittently. karoli9 I did read the line about dual monitors and Pascal cards somewhere, I'll run the setup the way it is now and report back if there's any change from the behaviour I described. All in all I'm happy I have two screens, really helps with my work. Peace out!

It's kind of shocking to see the retail price of this HP 8300 MT with an i5 when we can get them refurbished at a fraction of the price. This is still for sale new at Office Depot in the USA. I guess that corporate customers have huge IT budgets and don't care about what the price is.
View attachment 309692

Some PCs are very good quality and businesses will come back to them for reliability, despite this being an old model it is brand new - so new caps, new parts inside - hdd, etc. And this paired with the 'tried and tested' would be a choice for many.

I'd guess it is possible but I've never had it happen yet. Instead of removing the battery just press the yellow clear CMOS button on the motherboard. HP thought of everything with these builds. Maybe a complete re-flash of the BIOS would fix the problem ?

View attachment 309688 View attachment 309689

Yeah, I know about the CMOS button, had a 8000 USDT and a T610 :)
The UEFI works as it should, but reflashing is another possibility.

Yesterday I managed to install High Sierra 10.13.3 (APFS) onto the 8300 SFF. The ride was a little bumpy, but smoothed out. After installing Nvidia Web Driver .152 (.156 wasn't good, it said something about I don't have the latest macOS build, which is strange, I downloaded it a week ago) I switched to it (from the active native driver) with the Status menu icon (asked for password) and rebooted, but the dGPU was still not active. So I got into the Settings, unlocked the lock icon in Nvidia settings and then chose Nvidia Web Driver. After this it worked.

About the theme thing: well, to be honest, I didn't bother with it. MultiBeast's Clover install works well with the built-in (non-tonymacx86, no matter what I set in the config.plist) theme. Actually, I see it rarely :)

What is left:
1. Generating SSDT.aml for i5-3470S
2. Setting SMBIOS stuff with Clover Configurator
3. Setup macOS and applications

I followed your YouTube guide, the quality is superb (may I suggest to implement when to restart?), but you also need the written part (SSDT generating and the CC/ACPI/DropTables settings part missing from it) to get macOS working properly. The written part does not contain the deletion of the hidden folder and file at the end of the video.

Many thanks for the guide! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I managed to install High Sierra 10.13.3 (APFS) onto the 8300 SFF. The ride was a little bumpy, but smoothed out. After installing Nvidia Web Driver .152 (.156 wasn't good, it said something about I don't have the latest macOS build, which is strange, I downloaded it a week ago) I switched to it (from the active native driver) with the Status menu icon (asked for password) and rebooted, but the dGPU was still not active. So I got into the Settings, unlocked the lock icon in Nvidia settings and then chose Nvidia Web Driver. After this it worked.

About the theme thing: well, to be honest, I didn't bother with it. MultiBeast's Clover install works well with the built-in (non-tonymacx86, no matter what I set in the config.plist) theme. Actually, I see it rarely :)

What is left:
1. Generating SSDT.aml for i5-3470S
2. Setting SMBIOS stuff with Clover Configurator
3. Setup macOS and applications

I followed your YouTube guide, the quality is superb (may I suggest to implement when to restart?), but you also need the written part (SSDT generating and the CC/ACPI/DropTables settings part missing from it) to get macOS working properly. The written part does not contain the deletion of the hidden folder and file at the end of the video.

Many thanks for the guide! :)

Good to hear of your success with High Sierra. I'm running 10.13.3 as well and have no problems with my GTX 1050 and the Nvidia web driver. So that is very good news. Since the SSDT is optional I figured that viewers of the video can read the written guide as a complement and do that step if they choose to. The video is comprehensive for all the mandatory steps. I thought it would be good for newbies to actually see the whole process in a video if their ability to read and understand the English language is not equal to that of a native English speaking person. When I started out in late 2011 that would have been very helpful to me to see the install process.

In looking at many of the "hackintosh guide" videos on youtube they are of very poor quality with lots of misinformation. Seeing and following this one should keep people within the rules and guidelines of this community and keep them in good standing here. It will also prevent a lot of problems that are created when following incomplete and misleading guides found all over Youtube.

Just curious. At what points in the video was it not clear that a reboot was required ? Give the exact timestamps if possible.

Last edited:
Good to hear of your success with High Sierra. I'm running 10.13.3 as well and have no problems with my GTX 1050 and the Nvidia web driver. So that is very good news. Since the SSDT is optional I figured that viewers of the video can read the written guide as a complement and do that step if they choose to. The video is comprehensive for all the mandatory steps. I thought it would be good for newbies to actually see the whole process in a video if their ability to read and understand the English language is not equal to that of a native English speaking person. When I started out in late 2011 that would have been very helpful to me to see the install process.

In looking at many of the "hackintosh guide" videos on youtube they are of very poor quality with lots of misinformation. Seeing and following this one should keep people within the rules and guidelines of this community and keep them in good standing here. It will also prevent a lot of problems that are created when following incomplete and misleading guides found all over Youtube.

Just curious. At what points in the video was it not clear that a reboot was required ? Give the exact timestamps if possible.

Totally logical.

About the reboots: when it was needed, the picture in the video went blank (like at 11.43 minute), as I noticed. If it was intentional, then it is perfect, just needs clarification for newbies, that's it :)

Here's a potential fix for the the black screen at boot up with dual monitors connected. I don't use dual monitors so have not tested this. If it works on your rig let us know here.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-dual-monitor-connected.223082/#post-1513221

Minor annoyance hot plugging the second monitor, isn't it?

With Sierra I didn't have any trouble with the dual setup.

EDIT: Yesterday I tried to boot High Sierra with dual setup, no luck. I will try the setting on the link above.

Last edited:
Totally logical.

About the reboots: when it was needed, the picture in the video went blank (like at 11.43 minute), as I noticed. If it was intentional, then it is perfect, just needs clarification for newbies, that's it :)
At the 11:43 mark, there's no need to reboot there. You can open the Nvidia web driver package before rebooting, right after the Multibeast install of kexts etc. Then reboot after that to have full graphics acceleration. That's why I didn't note anything about a restart at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back