Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you are running MB 10.2 are you directing it to the correct boot drive ? Are there any other drives in your system ?
You can also mount your EFI partition with CC or EFI mounter and make a copy of your config.plist so we can see what is wrong.

I only have one drive connected so it automatically selects it. I have another drive in my computer but I've left it unplugged through the install process. I do have Windows 10 installed in a partition on the same drive but I've made sure to select the High Sierra drive always. After yesterday my W10 isn't booting anymore. If I leave my Clover USB out, Windows won't launch even though it is set first in the boot order. If I try to select windows in Clover then the windows logo pops up with a grey box around it and never launches. Thinking I should maybe wipe the whole drive and start from scratch, no partitioning. Think that would make a difference at all?

I'm attaching my config.plist. Also wanted to say thanks for the guide and all the quick responses.

Yep you are right it doesn't. Thank you for putting together the guides. Your guides and this thread is why I obtained an 8300 USFF. The guides and my system do work right now. Am just trying to get my system to be even better. Am using a DP to HDMI adapter. Are others experiencing flickering issues with Google Chrome browser and HD 4000 graphics?

I'm having the same flickering issues as you. I get flickering at log on screen and minor flickering in safari tabs, but google chrome is basically unusable.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
wifi brain said:
do have Windows 10 installed in a partition on the same drive but I've made sure to select the High Sierra drive always. After yesterday my W10 isn't booting anymore. If I leave my Clover USB out, Windows won't launch even though it is set first in the boot order.

I would suggest you start over and not install High Sierra to a drive that has Windows on it. Get macOS working first. If you want to dual boot keep windows on it's own drive. It makes much more sense, causes fewer problems etc. As you've discovered, Windows and macOS don't get along well with each other, especially when installed to the same drive.

Last edited:
Yep you are right it doesn't. Thank you for putting together the guides. Your guides and this thread is why I obtained an 8300 USFF. The guides and my system do work right now. Am just trying to get my system to be even better. Am using a DP to HDMI adapter. Are others experiencing flickering issues with Google Chrome browser and HD 4000 graphics?

I just downloaded Chrome onto my 8300 to test for flickering for you and no issues here. I am also running the HD 4000 graphics for the time being. Do you have a glitchy mouse and/or keyboard? My mouse is my biggest problem and sometimes becomes almost unusable until something in the computer sorts itself out.

I would suggest you start over and not install High Sierra to a drive that has Windows on it. Get macOS working first. If you want to dual boot keep windows on it's own drive. It makes much more sense, causes fewer problems etc.

Okay I went through the guide again, wiped the drive, got up to MultiBeast and am having the same issues with it not changing my system profile. After the first reboot there was no logo but a circle with a line through it. I restarted the computer by the button and the next time around it got me into macOS.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with my Unibeast USB. Don't know what else it could be. When I made it initially it would crash at the very end of the process but I figured all the files got transferred anyways cause it was taking up 5gb or so on my drive (and it had gotten me this far). I'm gonna try and make another Unibeast USB on my friends Mac Pro.

Any other suggestions?

I just downloaded Chrome onto my 8300 to test for flickering for you and no issues here. I am also running the HD 4000 graphics for the time being. Do you have a glitchy mouse and/or keyboard? My mouse is my biggest problem and sometimes becomes almost unusable until something in the computer sorts itself out.

Awesome. Thank you BenTheJeepGuy. May I see your config.plist please? Your EFI zipped? But that would mean Safari would be flickering too if mouse is the issue. Tried another mouse and still flickering. The flickering doesn't happen unless I scroll though.

Last edited:
Everything seems to be finally working for me now on macOS side besides audio.

But I'm having issues with clover still. It boots into clover fine, but when I try to launch my connected W7 drive (original drive that came with the machine), I just get the windows logo with a grey box behind it. I've tried connecting it solo and it says no boot option available. Is this because of the legacy setting in BIOS? Wondering what to do next. Thanks

Okay I went through the guide again, wiped the drive, got up to MultiBeast and am having the same issues with it not changing my system profile. After the first reboot there was no logo but a circle with a line through it. I restarted the computer by the button and the next time around it got me into macOS.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with my Unibeast USB. Don't know what else it could be. When I made it initially it would crash at the very end of the process but I figured all the files got transferred anyways cause it was taking up 5gb or so on my drive (and it had gotten me this far). I'm gonna try and make another Unibeast USB on my friends Mac Pro.

Any other suggestions?

I faced some issues with Unibeast initially and I had to do a much more thorough erasing. I first just did the fastest and simplest option in disk utility, but after getting some issues during the Unibeast procedure, I went back and erased again at a more higher rating. It took time but cleared up my issues. May want to give that a try.

Flickering is fixed. I had put all of my kexts into Clover->kexts->Other originally. Put them into Library->Extensions and the flickering went away. Reenabled graphics acceleration too without issue. Must be FakePCIID.kext or another wasn't loading. Next time there is an issue should use kextstat to verify what kext is loaded.

With respect to audio I used post #969 in trs96 thread [Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac Doesn't use VoodooHDA but way harder to do.

For WIFI I am setting up USB WIFI device id is 0x7601 and vendor id is 0x148f from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150Mbps-USB-802-11n-Wi-Fi-Ethernet-Wireless-Adapter-Card-with-2dbi-HG-Antenna/332489031107?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and thread [USB Wifi] Updated Ralink/Mediatek RT2870/ RT2770/ RT3X7X/ RT537X/ RT5572

Thanks BenTheJeepGuy and trs96 you guys rock

Last edited:
Flickering is fixed. I had put all of my kexts into Clover->kexts->Other originally. Put them into Library->Extensions and the flickering went away. Reenabled graphics acceleration too without issue. Must be FakePCIID.kext or another wasn't loading. Next time there is an issue should use kextstat to verify what kext is loaded.

With respect to audio I used post #969 in trs96 thread [Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac Doesn't use VoodooHDA but way harder to do.

For WIFI I am setting up USB WIFI device id is 0x7601 and vendor id is 0x148f from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150Mbps-USB-802-11n-Wi-Fi-Ethernet-Wireless-Adapter-Card-with-2dbi-HG-Antenna/332489031107?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and thread [USB Wifi] Updated Ralink/Mediatek RT2870/ RT2770/ RT3X7X/ RT537X/ RT5572

Thanks BenTheJeepGuy and trs96 you guys rock

Glad you got it to work! Now if I could just solve my glitchy mouse pointer, get iMessage, handoff, and continuity working, I would be one happy camper myself! haha

Everything seems to be finally working for me now on macOS side besides audio.

But I'm having issues with clover still. It boots into clover fine, but when I try to launch my connected W7 drive (original drive that came with the machine), I just get the windows logo with a grey box behind it. I've tried connecting it solo and it says no boot option available. Is this because of the legacy setting in BIOS? Wondering what to do next. Thanks
Your BIOS should be set to UEFI as per the guide. If you want to boot Windows from the Clover Boot menu it must be installed UEFI also, not legacy. If you have disabled legacy support, yes you should enable that if you want to keep Win7 for legacy booting. With HD4000 graphics there is no need to disable legacy support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back