Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,back output sound, not work.
Play Sound in case.
Front sound output worked
Did you check the sound settings (in OS X) for output device? If I remember correctly there are 2 output devices, and it defaulted me at first to the internal speaker

My 8300 is running well with High Sierra, except no audio (no sound devices found in System Prefs).
I used the updated method for enabling ALC221, no DSDT patching, and most recent version of Lilu, Apple ALC and CodecCommander kexts.
Also, I have a high-end PCI sound card with SPDIF output jack that I'd like to use to connect to my DAC, but I would need to enable PCI slots - what is the best method to do this?

Also, I have a high-end PCI sound card with SPDIF output jack that I'd like to use to connect to my DAC, but I would need to enable PCI slots - what is the best method to do this?
The PCIe slots (x1 x4 and x16) should already work. The PCI (long white one) slot doesn't. It would be best if you tried a clean install of macOS via Sniki's HP 8300 guide for Mojave. He will be posting the finished version any day now. Use a different SSD or HDD from your current one and try it out.

If for some reason you must stay with High Sierra you can clean install that with his guide too. Be on the look out for him to post his completed guide. See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...p-6300-pro-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.265384/

Why a clean install ? Why can't I just upgrade my current High Sierra drive ?

Because his guide uses a completely different approach and the time it would take to undo and uninstall everything you've already done would take longer than the clean install itself would. There is no use of Unibeast, Multibeast or static DSDT patches in his guide. You need to go through it step by step and follow it completely to have success.

Last edited:
The PCIe slots (x1 x4 and x16) should already work. The PCI (long white one) slot doesn't. It would be best if you tried a clean install of macOS via Sniki's HP 8300 guide for Mojave. He will be posting the finished version any day now. Use a different SSD or HDD from your current one and try it out.

I had a feeling that would be the answer. And the PCIe slots do work, no issues. I need the PCI slot as well, if possible.
At this point I need to stay with High Sierra so I may just re-build from scratch using his guide. Fun fun fun.

At this point I need to stay with High Sierra so I may just re-build from scratch using his guide.
His guide does take more time and effort. In the long run it will be worth it as you'll get better CPU performance, the PCI slot and the front mic jack will work. It will be more macOS update proof due to the use of custom SSDTs for most everything. I believe there are more than ten of them all custom designed for the HP 8300. Sniki put in a huge amount of work to do all this. Those applying his guide can't really complain because he completed all the really difficult stuff that most of us could never do. He also provides a complete custom Clover config.plist just for the 8300. Quite amazing what he's done for HP 8300 owners.

Actually there are 11 custom SSDTs that all get bundled into one SSDT-HP.aml in that new guide.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
Used Sniki's guide, with Mojave. Was having trouble again with the High Sierra USB installing (kept getting error message about loading resources for OS). Couldn't get it to boot with iMac 13,2 SMBIOS revisions that work fine with this guide and High Sierra, used Mac Mini and got it to boot. Sound works with Sniki's guide, haven't tried front ports yet.

So I have two installs, on separate SSDs, watching console messages and such to see which one is more stable. Mojave via Sniki certainly boots faster. Still no PCI port function though (PCIe works fine).

Used Sniki's guide, with Mojave. Was having trouble again with the High Sierra USB installing (kept getting error message about loading resources for OS). Couldn't get it to boot with iMac 13,2 SMBIOS revisions that work fine with this guide and High Sierra, used Mac Mini and got it to boot. Sound works with Sniki's guide, haven't tried front ports yet.

So I have two installs, on separate SSDs, watching console messages and such to see which one is more stable. Mojave via Sniki certainly boots faster. Still no PCI port function though (PCIe works fine).

Yes, you need to follow his instructions 100 % for it to work so Mac Mini 6,1 or 6,2 must be used. I don't have any legacy PCI peripherals to test with but he has verified it's active for him. If you post your PR files to his guide (use the Bl.Dragon script) he can figure out why your Audio card isn't working yet. I'll be interested to hear how your stability tests turn out. I think the main advantage of UEFI hot patching is that updates will have less chance of creating problems.

I updated my backup install drive with the 2019-001 Security Update for High Sierra for testing. Some have reported NVIDIA issues (other boards/cards) but my 8300 appears to be OK. There was some weirdness with preferences being reset to default, but boot was fine, everything appears to be working as before the update. Details here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/security-update-2019-001-10-13-6.270120/page-2#post-1896460
I think that most of the problems occur with Nvidia Pascal cards on High Sierra systems that are running the security update for that OS. Nvidia has to update their drivers for users after they run the security update. Your 710 is Kepler based so it shouldn't have any problems. Thanks for reporting this.

I updated my 8300 MT with 2019-001 Security Update without issue. NVIDIA driver was updated from the control panel as usual. I don't see any performance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back