Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished installing High Sierra on a HP 8300 with i5-3470. Disabled legacy devices on latest bios and booted with full resolution through DP/DP cable, but no hardware acceleration. That would be expected, the problem is that after installing multibeast with zero options except fakeSMC which can't be dismissed, if I boot without the usb installer plugged in the video becomes corrupted. The drive is bootable but happens this.

Last edited:
if I boot without the usb installer plugged in the video becomes corrupted. The drive is bootable but happens this.
Even if you connect via DP using the HD2500 graphics will cause this. You'd need HD4000 instead. Other option is to get a dedicated gfx card like a GT710.

Even if you connect via DP using the HD2500 graphics will cause this. You'd need HD4000 instead. Other option is to get a dedicated gfx card like a GT710.

I wonder what is inside the installer that is not on the installation and allows video to work without acceleration.
I will probably get a card with DP, but after quitting on the iGPU, and that means trying Mojave. Still reading last achievements, looks like someone already has HD2500 iGPU working. Thanks :)

Still reading last achievements, looks like someone already has HD2500 iGPU working.
I tried that too with my HP 6300 and i5-3470. Got nothing but a black screen even though I was able to reach the desktop. HD2500 is not supported the way HD4000 is. HD2500 briefly had support in Mt. Lion, then it was pulled again.

When a version of integrated graphics is supported, like HD300 or 4000, this is what you'll see in /S/L/E
There are no kexts in High Sierra for HD2500. They are not in Mojave either.

HD3000 kext.jpg

Do you think that Lilu + WhateverGreen won't give effective results for noobs like me and others? ;)
You can experiment if you'd like. Sure way to get working graphics is to purchase a compatible graphics card.

Here's a potential fix for the the black screen at boot up with dual monitors connected. I don't use dual monitors so have not tested this. If it works on your rig let us know here.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-dual-monitor-connected.223082/#post-1513221

I just did a new install of High Sierra. I now have the same issue with dual monitors as reported by others. Boots fine with only 1 monitor plugged and then plug in the second one. If I try to boot with both monitors attached I end up with the dreaded black screen. Was there ever an official fix? I have tried the link above and a few other things. No luck so far.

Last edited:
It's very easy to implement CPU PM for your Core i Intel CPU. All you need to do is place the correct SSDT.aml for your processor into the correct folder of your installation drive's EFI partition. For the HP 6300/8300 you need to be using the iMac 13,2 SMBIOS. Find the i5-3470 and i7-3770 SSDTs attached below. NOTE: This step is optional and not mandatory for you to implement.

Enable CPU Power Management

I set my HP8300 as iMac13,2, installed intel power gadget and followed those steps; could reach 3.4Ghz (before it stopped at 3,2) and 37,4W, or 1.6Ghz, not bellow; cpu speed sleep doesn't work, is there anything else I can do? Would be nice not hearing the psi and cpu fans ;) Isn't the fan speed on the psi and cpu variable?

I set my HP8300 as iMac13,2, installed intel power gadget and followed those steps; could reach 3.4Ghz (before it stopped at 3,2) and 37,4W, or 1.6Ghz, not bellow; cpu speed sleep doesn't work, is there anything else I can do? Would be nice not hearing the psi and cpu fans ;) Isn't the fan speed on the psi and cpu variable?
Idling at 1.6 is normal. Do you mean speed "step" doesn't work. You have to test that properly to determine that. There is a setting in the BIOS to run case fans at their slowest speed. Check that and slide the setting all the way to the left to make them quieter. See the pic below.

Screen Shot.jpg

I meant just sleep. Maybe there is more info about it on this particular chipset. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back