Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

First, i apologize if i missed rules, i'm a new member and looking for a interesting hackintosh build.

I wonder if the USDT 8300 can accept a wifi bluetooth module, i.e. a broadcom like this one:
BCM94360HMB/AzureWave AW-CB160H
Or this one
BCM94352HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H
Is there any whitelist for wifi modules?
Those are listed as recommended on this guide:

Maintenance guide mentionned that this chip could be installed:
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

Lasty, what's your opinion concerning the support of Intel HD graphics 4000 for the next reviews of MacOs?
Is it more recommended to buy a sff or cmt product in order to install a MSI RX 560, natively supported in MacOs?

Best regards.

From the south of France

I wonder if the USDT 8300 can accept a wifi bluetooth module, i.e. a broadcom like this one:
BCM94360HMB/AzureWave AW-CB160H
You can't use Intel Wifi at all, not supported. You can use a broadcom based card with the correct adapter for a PCIe slot.
Lasty, what's your opinion concerning the support of Intel HD graphics 4000 for the next reviews of MacOs?
Is it more recommended to buy a sff or cmt product in order to install a MSI RX 560, natively supported in MacOs?
I'm hoping that HD4000 is still supported in the 10.15 version of macOS. There's no guarantee it will be but I see no reason why they should drop support. So many Macs have it and it works great with Mojave.

If you get the SFF model then you must get a LP RX 560. You can use the Full Height version in the CMT HP 8300.

@redslislois This is an easy build. The 8300 series works very well with Mojave.
Re wifi - Will the USDT take a mini pci wifi card? there may be issues with the bluetooth if the cards also need an internal usb connection (you may be able to wire to one of the external ports). If you want bluetooth it would be easier to go with one of the larger machines which does have usb headers.
Intel Chips that will work with Mojave on these machines are described in the first post (there may be the possibility of getting others to work but it's not easy and you will be making a great deal of work for a sub optimum result). Make sure you note which chips have HD4000 graphics and understand why that is important (especialy on USDT).
If you have yet to buy a machine take a look at the Dell 7010 machines too, they are very similar to these and have a similar thread here on tonymac.

Those two wifi cards aren't intel based i think but broadcom and listed as recommended in the mentionned guide.
Here is the picture of one.

Seems suit to the connector on the usdt but i wonder if there is any withelist wifi card on a hp 8300 series.
Typical mobile wifi module, no usb connector on the card.
Pretty much the same thing and dell and lenovo broadcom based chips used on modern Motherboards i think.
And here is a picture (from the service and maintenance guide for an hp 8300 usdt) of the connector:

And so we can see the intel base wifi module you coud get when you bought the brand new computer years ago.

Last edited:
if it will work on mojave - it will almost certainly work on 8300. (or anything else) The q is - does it work on Mojave?

It should fit but i don't know if the bios will allow this wifi card.
If it's not allowed from the Hp bios, it won't work under high sierra / Mojave for sure as there is a whitelist (i.e. resticted components you can install in the computer).
Nobody of you tried this?

it won't work under high sierra / Mojave for sure as there is a whitelist (i.e. resticted components you can install in the computer)
I've never heard of a Wifi Card whitelist for HP desktops. That only applies to laptops. Any Broadcom card that works with macOS will work with the HP 8300.

It should fit but i don't know if the bios will allow this wifi card.
No whitelist on these machines, i think they may be too old or HP/Dell are more flexible on desktops. Im not sure if it is the same card but the Broadcom Wifi/BT card I tried I couldnt get to work and went with a similar wifi only card which I use in mini pci and with an adpator in pci - AR9280 AR5BHB92. Cheap and fast enough for my web connection.

I've never heard of a Wifi Card whitelist for HP desktops. That only applies to laptops. Any Broadcom card that works with macOS will work with the HP 8300.
Thank you sir. At least, there is no Hardware limitation from Hp!

No whitelist on these machines, i think they may be too old or HP/Dell are more flexible on desktops. Im not sure if it is the same card but the Broadcom Wifi/BT card I tried I couldnt get to work and went with a similar wifi only card which I use in mini pci and with an adpator in pci - AR9280 AR5BHB92. Cheap and fast enough for my web connection.
Should i understand that you already tried to get functionnal a similar card under Mac Os with the same kind of method/connector? and you only got wifi?

a similar card under Mac Os with the same kind of method/connector? and you only got wifi?
The original card was a BCM943228HMB also known as BRCM1058 and had wifi and bluetooth and I couldnt get either to work. I bought a New card, an AR5BHB92 AR9280 - which is wifi only and works well enough to get 70Mbps throughput

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back