Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
No fans detected. I get the exact same result on my Dell Optiplex 7010 system. Likely the same for all pre-built desktops.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 7.31.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Is there a quick tip to upgrading the graphics from HD4000 to Radeon RX560 on my functional HP 8300 SFF build? Getting a black screen after about 80% of the fuel gauge on the apple boot screen. I posted more info in the following thread, but I feel like I'm just missing something simple and don't know enough to even ask the right questions. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-after-80-apple-logo-boot-radeon-rx560.258885/
Also, thanks for the guides trs96, I used both of them for flawless installs, about a year ago with Sierra, and just recently with High Sierra.

Is there a quick tip to upgrading the graphics from HD4000 to Radeon RX560 on my functional HP 8300 SFF build? Getting a black screen after about 80% of the fuel gauge on the apple boot screen. I posted more info in the following thread, but I feel like I'm just missing something simple and don't know enough to even ask the right questions. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-after-80-apple-logo-boot-radeon-rx560.258885/
Also, thanks for the guides trs96, I used both of them for flawless installs, about a year ago with Sierra, and just recently with High Sierra.
If you are on at least 10.13.4 then the RX560 should be OOB. Did you get the MSI or something else ? When you install the graphics card and boot the first time it should be automatically disabling the integrated graphics.

Not entirely sure on version, it was what was available for download in the store when I was running with Sierra. I will double check tonight. It is the MSI LP card that was recommended earlier in this thread. It does auto disable the onboard when I boot the first time after installation. Clover loads and auto boots into macOS, the fuel guage goes to about 80% across and then the monitor displays no signal. This was without doing anything with kexts or config.plist.

Not entirely sure on version, it was what was available for download in the store when I was running with Sierra. I will double check tonight. It is the MSI LP card that was recommended earlier in this thread. It does auto disable the onboard when I boot the first time after installation. Clover loads and auto boots into macOS, the fuel guage goes to about 80% across and then the monitor displays no signal. This was without doing anything with kexts or config.plist.
Make sure you are on 10.13.4 or newer in About This Mac. Then if you are, boot verbose and see where it is hanging at.

Make sure you are on 10.13.4 or newer in About This Mac. Then if you are, boot verbose and see where it is hanging at.

That was it. For some reason I thought 10.13 referred to Sierra so I just assumed that any version of High Sierra was good to go. Updated from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6, installed the card and rebooted. It went through a couple of power cycles on its own and then booted right into macOS. Thanks for helping a dummy out!

So I ran into an issue I cannot seem to solve after hours of research online.

I have had my Elite 8300 setup with Sierra for some time now, working smooth like butter. I had the OS installed on my 120gb crucial SSD, and a 500GB HDD for storage.

Today I purchased a 500GB Crucial SSD to try and add it to my setup. Once I plugged in the extra SSD into the available SATA port, I totally lost all boot-able drives available.

I have tried the following:
- unplugging all drives except the SSD with the OS installed
- installing a fresh Sierra install with Unibeast onto the NEW 500gb SSD (once I get to disk utilities I don't see any SSDs)
- if I have all drives plugged in and try and install a fresh Sierra, I am only able to see the HDD and no SSD

Really I am quite stumped now, and a bit worried I will be losing all my data on my original, working SSD.

I have checked to make sure the BIOS is setup correctly with the SATA mode to set to AHCI

If anyone could possibly help me troubleshoot that would be amazing.

Id try pulling the CMOS battery and removing power cable - leave it for 15 mins in that state and then replace and see if the SSD shows in BIOS, there is a chance the SSD is faulty but I'd suggest the CMOS settings and the UEFI data are the more likely causes of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back