Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping someone can help. Thanks to this guide, I’ve been up and running without issue for several months. Today, however, I can not get Clover to boot and after the BIOS screen, I see the attached image. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A361B743-7E7E-4BD9-AEB8-5DD206A7057F.jpeg
    A361B743-7E7E-4BD9-AEB8-5DD206A7057F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 158
...The HP OEM fans are of good quality and shouldn't be replaced the way you throw out the new fans that come with a cheap PC case that you buy for a custom build. Remember that many of these HP Elite desktops cost $1500 or more new. HP didn't cheap out on the cooling fans.

So arctic fans is rather downgrade?

So arctic fans is rather downgrade?
They're about the same quality. Both brands are probably made by Foxconn. The only difference is that the Arctic fans can't reach a maximum RPM of 3,400 like the HP fans. The max for the Arctic fans is 1,800. The fan color is white as opposed to black too. So the take home idea is: If your OEM HP fans are working well and not failing in any way, it's not necessary to replace them with the Arctic fans. I've presented that option for those that may need replacements. All of the HP desktops that people in this thread buy are likely to be used/refurbished. Some will have fans that need replacing. You have to decide that based on your own evaluation. With my HP 6300 MT I got lucky. The case, PSU and fans were all in like new condition so I didn't need to replace anything. It pays to research the seller to know what condition the product you get will be in.

Last edited:
Hoping someone can help. Thanks to this guide, I’ve been up and running without issue for several months. Today, however, I can not get Clover to boot and after the BIOS screen, I see the attached image. Any ideas?
Seeing that text about APFS is normal. Do you see the Clover Boot Menu screen after that ? If so, try a verbose boot and see where it kernel panics. Attach a picture here.

Seeing that text about APFS is normal. Do you see the Clover Boot Menu screen after that ? If so, try a verbose boot and see where it kernel panics. Attach a picture here.

It doesn’t boot to Clover, unfortunately. I’ve tried restarting and it is now hanging on the BIOS screen with the HP logo.

Occasionally it will move beyond the BIOS splash image, but then just hangs at a black screen. I reflashed the BIOS, but nothing has changed.

It doesn’t boot to Clover, unfortunately. I’ve tried restarting and it is now hanging on the BIOS screen with the HP logo.

Occasionally it will move beyond the BIOS splash image, but then just hangs at a black screen. I reflashed the BIOS, but nothing has changed.
Tried booting from a Unibeast USB ?

Based on my previous experience with a Macbook, I assumed that the fans would turn audibly faster under load. And the HP fans can theoretically become very loud if you turn up the BIOS setting completely for testing...
But I don't notice the PWM regulation during operation. The CPU gets hotter, but the fans don't sound any faster.

I performed the Aida64 stress test (in Windows 10) and had the same experience. CPU temps maxed out at about 72 degrees C. The fan speed did not ramp up. The temps never went any higher and there was no CPU throttling. So I'm not sure why the PWM function is not working. Since I never max out my CPU at 100% for long periods of time I'm not too concerned about this. If the max CPU temps were closer to 90C then it might be necessary to figure out the cause of this. If others can test this too and give feedback that would be great.

Last edited:
Fans - had noticed that they didnt change speed in use and thought it was just the way it was. Did look for some fan speed control software but only found stuff for real macs. Never been able to get a fan speed reading. A manual PWM FAN Controller would probably work but not tried it. Does changing the setting in BIOS work on OSX?

Fans - had noticed that they didnt change speed in use and thought it was just the way it was. Did look for some fan speed control software but only found stuff for real macs. Never been able to get a fan speed reading. A manual PWM FAN Controller would probably work but not tried it. Does changing the setting in BIOS work on OSX?
AFAIK the fan control on real Macs is automatically controlled with no user input to regulate it. When specific temps are reached the fans kick in and make a lot of noise. Haven't seen or tried any 3rd party fan control software for Macs. I think that on these HP 8300s you get the fan idle speed setting in the BIOS to regulate the minimum speeds and that is how you manually control it. It takes some trial and error to find the right setting for your individual use scenario. Installing a hardware fan speed controller might be the best solution for those that want more fine tuned control. Newegg has many options in that category.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fan+speed+controllers&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back