Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your BIOS should be set to UEFI as per the guide. If you want to boot Windows from the Clover Boot menu it must be installed UEFI also, not legacy. If you have disabled legacy support, yes you should enable that if you want to keep Win7 for legacy booting. With HD4000 graphics there is no need to disable legacy support.

Really bummed right now... I got my macOS working well on my SSD. I installed windows 10 on my other hard drive. Booting back into macOS and all my old problems returned, glitchy graphics, wrong system profile, no clover at boot... Wondering where I messed up/ if this install is salvagable. I loaded all my data on to my OS X partition and really don't want to transfer it off and wipe it again...

I don't understand how installing to a different hard drive could mess everything up on my mac drive. I made the stick with rufus as per your sierra guide so I don't know...

Double checked my BIOS and its set like the video. My SSD shows up in Device Configuration but it is missing from Boot Order.

Last edited:
Did you have the macOS SSD connected when you installed Windows ? If so then it probably overwrote the macOS bootloader. You could try booting from the Unibeast drive, then run Multibeast and just select the Clover UEFI bootloader and direct it at your macOS drive. Then try booting again. Here's the most foolproof way to dual boot. Never have the windows and Mac drives connected at the same time. How ? Use a hot swap bay in one of the front bays on your case. Works 100 % of the time to keep Windows from messing with your macOS install.

Did you have the macOS SSD connected when you installed Windows ? If so then it probably overwrote the macOS bootloader. You could try booting from the Unibeast drive, then run Multibeast and just select the Clover UEFI bootloader and direct it at your macOS drive. Then try booting again. Here's the most foolproof way to dual boot. Never have the windows and Mac drives connected at the same time. How ? Use a hot swap bay in one of the front bays on your case. Works 100 % of the time to keep Windows from messing with your macOS install.

Reinstalled everything and made sure to only have one drive plugged in at a time. Got both OSes working, even got the audio port on my mac side working. Thank you so much for the help!

An affordable and functional dual band 802.11AC USB Wifi adapter
$12.99 at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761Q654G/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I've tested one of these with my HP 6300 and it works quite well via a front USB 2.0 port.

This does require that you install the Realtek RTL8811AU driver to make it work. It's not native in macOS.
The TP-Link version of this AC 600 wifi adapter costs nearly double the price of the unbranded one linked above.

The Specs from Realtek

Screen Shot 2.jpg
Get the Mac Driver here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WN725N.html#Driver
Download the first one on the list if you are using Sierra or High Sierra, it should be 11.03 MB in size.
Published Date: 2017-09-12 Language: English File Size: 11.03MB
Operating System: Mac OS 10.8-10.12

If you need the AC 600 part to work then you can try the Beta Driver from TP-Link. They say it is still buggy though.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-T2U.html#Driver

Published Date: 2017-12-07 Language: Multi-language File Size: 10.13 MB
Operating System: Mac OS 10.12-10.13
Modifications and Bug Fixes:

This is a beta version; unknown bugs may still exist. The formal version is coming soon.

I have not tried this with Windows 10 yet but I'd assume that you should be able to at least get wireless N to work with Win10.

Don't download it from other driver download sites that you can find all over the internet, you don't know what you'll get along
with it. TP-Link can be trusted.​

Last edited:
If anyone updates to 10.13.4, please share your results. I'm sure many of us are curious to know.

If anyone updates to 10.13.4, please share your results. I'm sure many of us are curious to know.
Downloaded the apfs.zip file for 10.13.4, unzipped it
Replaced the one in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ with downloaded one
Update to 10.13.4

Went through fine. Have not tested audio and other things

I was really hoping the RX 560 would receive native support.

UPDATE ON 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra
I performed a clean install of macOS 10.13.4 by making a new Unibeast installer just yesterday. I installed on my HP 6300 system which has the Gigabyte GT 1050 graphics card. The current Nvidia drivers are working with no problem. I am also using APFS on my SSD and that is also working great. It actually seems faster to me with this update. More fluid too. Boot times are slightly faster.

One note. I did try the newer VoodooHDA kext 2.9.1 and it didn't work for some reason. I Tried 2.9.0 and it worked perfectly. So my advice is that you should stay with 2.9.0 instead of using the newer version. So I can highly recommend 10.13.4 and APFS now. If you are still on Sierra I don't see anything that should be holding you back from upgrading the OS.

Hi, this is my first build and everything is working well (thanks to this guide) except for a few minor issues.
What I'm wondering is does anyone else have working but messed-up USB mapping? As it stands the system recognizes that I have USB 3 but everything I plug-in is listed under USB 2.

So, am I missing something simple or do I have to create a custom SSDT for the HP 6300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back