I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Hello trs96,

I was wondering if you knew if a RX 580 will work in an Dell Optiplex 9010?

Kind regards,
If you have the MiniTower version, yes but with one caveat, the length could interfere with SATA ports or the USB 3 connector.
This Sapphire RX 570 would probably be the safest choice. Performance is very close to that of a 580.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6KX6WY1494&Description=itx%20RX580&cm_re=itx_RX580-_-27N-0005-000R5-_-Product

You would also need to replace the Dell OEM PSU with a 450W or greater ATX version with an 8 pin power connector on it. A 570 has native support in HS and macOS Mojave.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9010
CPU
i3-3220
Graphics
HD 5450 -> GT 710
After losing the battle to get HDMI audio working through my old Asus Radeon 5450, which I think is simply not supported, I picked up an Asus GT 710 (DDR3) card.

I plugged the GT 710 into a 7010/i3-3225/HD4000 and amended the config.plist to inject Nvidia and added new DSDT.aml. Using AppleALC and Lilu, I confirmed HDMI audio is working as it did when previously using HD4000 display port. Sound preferences lists the brand of TV with HDMI next to it.

Next, I moved the GT 710 to 9010/i3-3220 and removed the Radeon 5450/edited config.plist/DSDT.aml. I couldn't get TV HDMI audio device to appear in Sound Preferences when using AppleALC/Lilu which I think was the same issue I had with the Radeon. However unlike the Radeon, HDMI audio on GT 710 does work with Voodoo and the volume/quality seems fine through the TV's speakers.

Fixed: HDMI audio now working with AppleALC/Lilu. As well as 'Inject Nvidia', the 'NvidiaSingle' must be added too.

Last edited:
Motherboard
DELL Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
This is one of the MOST CONCISE and COMPLETE GUIDES I have ever seen. Thank You Trs96.

I have read through this many times - in prep for doing the load. I have all of the files you mention, and a fresh download of the mac OSX High Sierra from the app store.

I hit my first snag last night, I have an OSX 10.6.7 hackintosh on the IBM T61 - which works flawlessly (except for wireless). When I ran the UNIBEAST for High Sierra. It sees the 16GB USB drive, it goes through all the screens and finds all of the files it needs.

When it get to the point where it is to build the USB - which was formatted GUID >> HPFS Journaled....it gives an error UNABLE TO BUILD LOADER (with a big yellow triangle). I formatted the drive 2 more times, and even tried an 8GB drive. Re-downloaded the UNIBEAST again - and it keeps giving me the same error.

Anyone ever seen this error before?

Comments
This guide for the Dell Optiplex 7010/9010 is a complete description of 7 steps necessary to get your system working with macOS High Sierra. If you have read the HP 8300 Elite Sierra guide or watched the High Sierra video guide you are already familiar with the overall process. Both of these business desktop lines, the HP 8300 and Dell 7010/9010 have much in common. Both are Ivy Bridge based and utilize the Q77 Express chipset. They have BIOS and UEFI which allows either legacy or UEFI booting. UEFI is the preferred choice and will be described here. They work nearly as well with macOS High Sierra as the HP 8300s do. They are not as close to perfection running macOS as the HP models are. If you prefer the Dell brand, these Optiplex PCs are a good choice.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
I hit my first snag last night, I have an OSX 10.6.7 hackintosh on the IBM T61 - which works flawlessly (except for wireless). When I ran the UNIBEAST for High Sierra. It sees the 16GB USB drive, it goes through all the screens and finds all of the files it needs.
Can you update your IBM T61 to 10.6.8 and also install any supplemental updates ?

Here are some other things to consider:

UniBeast will detect and only work with a valid copy of High Sierra install application in /Applications.

If your "Install macOS High Sierra.app" is less then 5 GB, then it's the partial installer and will not work with UniBeast.

UniBeast is a signed installer. Make sure "System Preferences - > Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow applications downloaded from" is checked for "Mac App Store and identified developers" or "Anywhere".

Motherboard
DELL Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
Can you update your IBM T61 to 10.6.8 and also install any supplemental updates ?

Here are some other things to consider:

UniBeast will detect and only work with a valid copy of High Sierra install application in /Applications.

If your "Install macOS High Sierra.app" is less then 5 GB, then it's the partial installer and will not work with UniBeast.

UniBeast is a signed installer. Make sure "System Preferences - > Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow applications downloaded from" is checked for "Mac App Store and identified developers" or "Anywhere".
I had upgraded my T61 to 10.6.8 and everything stopped working. I restored it back from a TIME MACHINE backup, and not willing to upgrade again.

The Install mac OSX High Sierra.app file is 5.31GB (according to its listing in Finder). I downloaded it Sunday from the App store using my neighbors MacBook after logging in as myself to the App Store. I was able to locate the file from here ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969 )...so I am pretty sure it is the valid install. As when it completed it launched and tried to upgrade his MacBook from El Capitan (which he does not want to do until he can get a bigger SSD installed).

All updates (other than 10.6.8 have been applied to the T61). I have even tried running the UNIBEAST on his laptop, and it did the same thing - gave the error UNABLE TO INSTALL LOADER (something like that - guess I should have taken a picture).

I have also seen other postings on the net about using Terminal to create a bootable .ISO file from the .app file I downloaded. Would something like that even work to do this?

The SECURITY SETTINGS are as you described.

Has me scratching my head.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
All updates (other than 10.6.8 have been applied to the T61)
What are your graphics for the T61 machine ? Those are probably not 10.6.8 compatible.

The Unibeast documentation says "UniBeast is supported on 10.6.8 (AKA Snow Leopard) or later." So I wouldn't expect that it would work on 10.6.7. What you could do is install SL on your Dell first and then upgrade that to 10.6.8. You would need to create an iBoot Ivy Bridge CD to do this. That's one other option you've got.

Here's the guide I wrote for installing with the retail SL DVD.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-install-snow-leopard-on-the-hp-6200-8200-desktop-pc.235154/

Motherboard
DELL Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
What are your graphics for the T61 machine ? Those are probably not 10.6.8 compatible.

The Unibeast documentation says "UniBeast is supported on 10.6.8 (AKA Snow Leopard) or later." So I wouldn't expect that it would work on 10.6.7. What you could do is install SL on your Dell first and then upgrade that to 10.6.8. You would need to create an iBoot Ivy Bridge CD to do this. That's one other option you've got.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-install-snow-leopard-on-the-hp-6200-8200-desktop-pc.235154/
I may have to do that with the DELL. I do still have my Retail DVD for SL, as well as the download for the Combo Update 10.6.7 and 10.6.8.

The specs for the T61 are:

Processor: Core 2 Duo T8300 (64bit 3M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100.
Display: WXGA+ 1440 x 900 (LG screen)
Hard Drive: 160GB Samsung EVO750 SSD
Memory: 4GB

I never got it to fully work the way I wanted it to work (I had to disable all power saving stuff or I would have to hard reboot it) - but it was good enough for a play machine. :) I would really love to put a high OS on it - just not sure how high I could go. Someone once told me that it might run Mavericks or El Capitan.

I will look through your posted article, and let you know. May be the weekend before I get to doing anything.

BTW. I checked again last night. The T61 with SL does not have the Security settings you mentioned. I think that I had seen those settings on the EC laptop when I tried that with UNIBEAST.

** I have read articles that there are serial number issues with these machines and causes problems with APP STORE, iTUNES, and others. Is this true?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
** I have read articles that there are serial number issues with these machines and causes problems with APP STORE, iTUNES, and others. Is this true?
Not sure, what I think matters most is that you generate a unique serial number not in use by a real Mac. You can read all about this in the "iDiot's Guide to iMessage." Just search with those terms and you'll find it.

Motherboard
DELL Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
What you could do is install SL on your Dell first and then upgrade that to 10.6.8. You would need to create an iBoot Ivy Bridge CD to do this. That's one other option you've got.

Reading through these steps....WILL I need another video card for the Dell Optiplex 7010 with the i5 3475S CPU (Intel graphics 4000)?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
I5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Last edited: