Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Not if you are using HD4000 graphics. Supported AMD and Nvidia Kepler cards will work though.
An SMBIOS like iMac 14,2 will not work, that would need to be switched to at least iMac 15,1 for Big Sur.
I thought hd4000 was still supported in big sur??

do you mean Monterey?

I thought hd4000 was still supported in big sur??

do you mean Monterey?
There is no official Apple support since the 2012 minis 6,1 6,2 were dropped from support. I haven't checked if they still left HD4000 kexts and drivers in 11.6.1. Have you checked ? Are they in there ?

Screen Shot 8.jpg

There is no official Apple support since the 2012 minis 6,1 6,2 were dropped from support. I haven't checked if they still left HD4000 kexts and drivers in 11.6.1. Have you checked ? Are they in there ?

View attachment 534092

11.6.1........It's still there..... :headbang:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 2.02.48.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 2.02.48.png
    419.3 KB · Views: 55
I wonder if the reason why they left it in there is because 2013 Mac pro’s igpu is ivy Bridge…..hence intel hd4000?.... I love looking this gift horse in the mouth. ;)

I love looking this gift horse in the mouth.
Maybe they left them in to help out hackintoshers using older hardware like your 7010.
Very nice of them really. Send Tim Cook a thank you email.

Happy New Year! We need to send Tim Cook another thank you note because I recently installed Big Sur with opencore on the 7010, and it is so far performing flawlessly. I spent a year studying the dortania guide, took cues from trs96 about MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and general installation methods (adapted from the wonderful 9020 Big Sur OpenCore Guide), and fixed sound and USB 3 issues by studying THIS, making config.plist adjustments, and.....

I started off with 11.2.3, mapped the USB ports with Hackintool, then swapped out the USBinjectAll with USBports, and finally updated to 11.6.2. What works: EVERYTHING smooth like butter (including USB3!), as well as continuity and handoff (thanks again to trs96 for writing about the Fenvi FV-T919 in the High Sierra/Mojave Guide!).

Now, I'm trying to study up about Monterey supported graphics cards that will fit in the Optiplex 7010 DT with the original PSU ... Does that graphics card exist, I wonder?

This Catalina guide is fantastic, has been my go-to for over a year, and it's also nice to know there is a way to get at least one more year of a supported, ultra-smooth MacOS with the 7010. It is still as snappy as ever on BS.

Last edited:
Hello,

Is it a performance problem to use a 7010 mt model with me 3 disabled (Mebx) if I use an rx560 graphics card with the igpu disabled?

Thank in advance

Is it a performance problem to use a 7010 mt model with me 3 disabled
No, it doesn't affect your RX560 at all. The only thing it does is remove the option to use Intel Quicksync.

I wish that I knew more about graphics card heights and psu requirements… Out of curiosity, does anyone know if an rx 560 will fit in the 7010 DT form factor and whether or not the original 7010 DT psu is enough for an rx560? Is there “an idiot’s guide to gpu and psu” on here somewhere?

Back