Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

I want to buy Dell optiplex 7010 with i7. How will I understand it has HD2500 or HD4000?

The i7-3770 CPU has HD4000. Buy one with that CPU.

The i7-3770 CPU has HD4000. Buy one with that CPU.
thank you for reply. if i want GPU in the future, can i add extra gpu to this system to make the system more powerful?

f i want GPU in the future, can i add extra gpu to this system to make the system more powerful?
Yes, just avoid the USFF version which is not able to have room for a graphics card.

is optiplex 9020 with i5 better than 7010 i7? which one do you suggest?

is optiplex 9020 with i5 better than 7010 i7? which one do you suggest?
Depends on the macOS version that you will be installing and using on it.

Depends on the macOS version that you will be installing and using on it.
i want to use last version of it possible. but in general, i want to use macos to learn it.

i want to use last version of it possible. but in general, i want to use macos to learn it.
With the 7010 you are primarily going to use Catalina which is fine for learning macOS.

The 7020/9020 let's you upgrade to Big Sur or even Monterey later on if you change the SMBIOS to Macmini 7,1.
Some people prefer Catalina over the newer versions with so many new security restrictions.

This is an amazing guide, but Catalina will only be supported for about 1 more year now..… If I was just starting, I would go with the Optiplex 9020 and Big Sur, because the author of that guide is the same as this guide, so I think that it will produce an equally amazing hackintosh…..

Catalina will only be supported for about 1 more year now.
It is possible to install Big Sur on the 7010 with i7-3770. Many people switch the SMBIOS to Macpro 6,1 and use their HD4000 iGPU. It works with iGPU only. Nvidia Kepler dedicated graphics are also supported in BS so that is another option. That support will go away in Monterey though. Some people use MP 6,1 and a GPU with Big Sur and disable the iGPU completely. iMac 14,4 is another possible choice for the SMBIOS.

The 15,1 iMac SMBIOS and a Haswell CPU is the best match for Big Sur but it's not the only option for those that want to upgrade. The Ivy Bridge 7010 can still be used.

Last edited:
Back