Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

I gave up and clean installed 10.15.7 and went back to Clover and Catalina.
Clover still works and Big Sur doesn't really offer a whole lot more than a highly polished UI and new icons. Big Sur was mostly about adding M1 Mac support and a UI overhaul to make it look like iOS. So for us hackintoshers it's not a must have upgrade. Keep using Catalina for a year or two. It's still fully supported with security updates.

I followed this guide previously and had perfect 10.15.7. I was bored and wanted to try OpenCore and Big Sur. I had a working install but for the life of me could not get USB 3 to work. I gave up and clean installed 10.15.7 and went back to Clover and Catalina. I don't think this machine is destined for 11.x. This guide is excellent and will give you an excellent Catalina Hack.
It appears that much has been written about mapping USB ports with opencore and big sur. Did all of that not work with this machine?

It appears that much has been written about mapping USB ports with opencore and big sur. Did all of that not work with this machine?
Due to Big Sur's restrictions on 3rd party kexts, it's better to use the USBports.kext in the EFI folder instead of USB injectall kext and an SSDT.aml. It can work just fine without USBinjectall and it's easy to stay under the 15 port limit because of the age of these Ivy Bridge desktops. Also Big Sur 11.4 has created problems with making a USBports kext so it's better to use 11.2 or 11.3 for anyone that needs to make a new kext.

Due to Big Sur's restrictions on 3rd party kexts, it's better to use the USBports.kext in the EFI folder instead of USB injectall kext and an SSDT.aml. It can work just fine without USBinjectall and it's easy to stay under the 15 port limit because of the age of these Ivy Bridge desktops. Also Big Sur 11.4 has created problems with making a USBports kext so it's better to use 11.2 or 11.3 for anyone that needs to make a new kext.
I tried mapping and injections and ACPI patching and in the end I gave up. I am ok with Catalina on this machine I was just wanting to try it with OC and BS. I have Big Sur on 4 other real Macs, 2 unsupported with OCLP and 2 other 2020 Airs. I do use the 7010 as a main desktop Mac tho. Its quite an impressive machine, I have the i7/16/1TB NVME/GT710 in it and its plenty powerful for my Mac usage on the desk.

I tried mapping and injections and ACPI patching and in the end I gave up. I am ok with Catalina on this machine I was just wanting to try it with OC and BS. I have Big Sur on 4 other real Macs, 2 unsupported with OCLP and 2 other 2020 Airs. I do use the 7010 as a main desktop Mac tho. Its quite an impressive machine, I have the i7/16/1TB NVME/GT710 in it and its plenty powerful for my Mac usage on the desk.
I have yet to try BS on this machine myself but will do so later this year. FYI: this post and link discuss exactly the roadblock that you ran into with USB3 and the 7010, and it appears that a solution was found.....

Last edited:
I have yet to try BS on this machine myself but will do so later this year. FYI: this post and link discuss exactly the roadblock that you ran into with USB3 and the 7010, and it appears that a solution was found.....
Yeah I tried that but it didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong. Not a big deal, Im sticking with the Island for now.

Catalina 10.15.6 everything was running good, since 10.15.7 i get no graphics acceleration, like metal support dissapeared on my 7010. I tried a few different 7010 machines same results, im using i5 3475s chip

My Hackintosh is working very slow. I use it rarely, as is in my basement, but now is unusable, after the last upgrades.
Is a dual-boot, but no problem in Windows.

Dell 7010 USFF
SSD Sandisk 256 Gb
8Gb ram
Intel i7-3770s with HD4000.
Catalina 10.15.7

Activity monitor does not help.

HD4000

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x0162

Revision ID: 0x0009

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Displays:

D22-20:

Resolution: 1920x1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: U7606YBD

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Are you saying it is unusable after the Catalina security update that was released yesterday? Security update 2021-05 Catalina?

Did you / have you ever updated your Kexts?

Edit - I updated Catalina security update 2021-05 tonight to build 19H1417 and the machine runs just as cool, smooth, and speedy as ever... This build is using 1.5% CPU at idle like always.......

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 20.14.56.png

Last edited:
Back