Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Thank you for your tutorial, worked incredibly fine! Will this guide be updated for Big Sur?

Thank you for your tutorial, worked incredibly fine!
Good to hear that it worked for you. What specifically is your hardware ? https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details

Screen Shot.jpg

Will this guide be updated for Big Sur?
No, I'm not planning on that for a number of reasons.

Even if you go through switching SMBIOS to one that is Big Sur compatible, it will only last for one upgrade. Mac Pro 6,1 is one example. I don't really see any significant advantages of Big Sur over Catalina. In my opinion it's also not worth all the work of switching to OC on this build.

General recommendation to all Optiplex 7010/9010 owners

Stay with Catalina 10.15.7

It will continue to get security updates from Apple for about 3 years. Will keep working with no problems, you'll be able to keep using supported updated 3rd party browsers like Chrome and Firefox.

If anyone does want Big Sur, first learn about OpenCore and how that works and then give it a try.

Last edited:
Good to hear that it worked for you. What specifically is your hardware ? https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details

View attachment 495142

No, I'm not planning on that for a number of reasons.

Even if you go through switching SMBIOS to one that is Big Sur compatible, it will only last for one upgrade. Mac Pro 6,1 is one example. I don't really see any significant advantages of Big Sur over Catalina. In my opinion it's also not worth all the work of switching to OC on this build.

General recommendation to all Optiplex 7010/9010 owners

Stay with Catalina 10.15.7

It will continue to get security updates from Apple for about 3 years. Will keep working with no problems, you'll be able to keep using supported updated 3rd party browsers like Chrome and Firefox.

If anyone does want Big Sur, first learn about OpenCore and how that works and then give it a try.
Please sir don't do that, please update this guide for macOS Big Sur... I just transformed my dell optiplex 9010 to a bigger case and I made some good upgrades, I just put in 32GB of RAM and I bought an RX 480 with 8GB of VRAM, this thing would run awesome on Big Sur... Please pretty please, I beg you :) I already tried one open core guide but I had no success.

I already tried one open core guide but I had no success.
You always have another chance to try. Don't give up that easily. Use the guide at dortania.github.io You'll want the Ivy Bridge version. Another option is to wait for Unibeast for Big Sur. That will be coming out soon.

I do all this guide writing and maintenance pro bono, I get nothing in return save a few thank yous from people that appreciate what I do. It takes many hours of work to test and put together a working guide. My goal is to teach people how to do this themselves, not make them dependent on me to do it for them.

Last edited:
Hi @trs96,

Apologies! I had intended on responding before.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you a brief update on my Hackintosh.

After doing a fresh install (as I think I mentioned previously) all is working fine. I must have missed a step (or two), not realising, and this was the cause of the graphics issues.

Anyway, a big thank you for trying to help me out with my issue as well as putting the tutorial together in the first place!

As @BillyGoatGruff pointed out, between performing the process several times and going through the video to make sure I hadn't missed anything, I too noticed that there was a bit missing with the serial numbers towards the end. By the time I realised, I understood what was happening so filled in the blanks myself but apologies as should have mentioned this at the time.

You always have another chance to try. Don't give up that easily. Use the guide at dortania.github.io You'll want the Ivy Bridge version. Another option is to wait for Unibeast for Big Sur. That will be coming out soon.

I do all this guide writing and maintenance pro bono, I get nothing in return save a few thank yous from people that appreciate what I do. It takes many hours of work to test and put together a working guide. My goal is to teach people how to do this themselves, not make them dependent on me to do it for them.
Thank you for the guide, it’s been the best Hackintosh I’ve ever had and I was around for deadmoo and JasMac. Really appreciate the support.

Anyone with a 7010 USFF and a BCM94352HMB/aw-ce123h based mini pci card managed to get WiFI/BT working under Catalina?

Currently have mojave up and running (using trs96's guide) and have WiFi/BT working great including AirDrop/Handoff etc, but haven't seen too many sucess stories of these wifi cards working under catalina....

Anyone with a 7010 USFF and a BCM94352HMB/aw-ce123h based mini pci card managed to get WiFI/BT working under Catalina?

Currently have mojave up and running (using trs96's guide) and have WiFi/BT working great including AirDrop/Handoff etc, but haven't seen too many sucess stories of these wifi cards working under catalina....
Sure, make sure you are using the BrcmPatchRam3.kext version of the ram, BrcmBluetoothInjection and ...Data not repo kexts also. All in the Other folder!

Sorry if that was vague, just woke up

Sure, make sure you are using the BrcmPatchRam3.kext version of the ram, BrcmBluetoothInjection and ...Data not repo kexts also. All in the Other folder!

Sorry if that was vague, just woke up
This. I have my mine working great on 10.15.7 in my 7010 DT.

Back