Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Thank you.
The cover of my 7010 USFF displayed as "3 ME Disabled", but I can see the MEBx option after I pressed F12, so I think my 7010 is actually is "1" instead of "3":)
Sometimes the case cover with the sticker on it gets replaced on a different PC than what came from the factory. This is why it's best to always check to see if you can access the Intel Management engine first before believing what the sticker says.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I followed the guide to the T and everything went smoothly (and quickly too) - thank you trs96!

Once done, everything seemed to be working just fine. Booted it up a day or so later and, while all was working, I started experiencing some issues with sound and graphics.

The graphical issues that I've noticed are a loss of transparency on the dock (image attached) and ghosting when the mouse moves over some parts of the screen (I've only noticed this with Microsoft Teams, the tab names in Safari, and the search box in Finder, otherwise all appears fine). I noticed that my monitor info (Acer S243HL) is no longer specified in the Displays tab of the About This Mac window (image attached) nor in the Display section in System Preferences (image attached). Also, the graphics info in the Overview tab of the About This Mac is fairly generic ('Display 7 MB').

From what I can tell, the sound issue only affects sound output. In the Output tab in Sound settings in System Preferences, I now have only two options: Home Theatre and Apple TV (image attached).

Immediately post installation, specific information was present in all these places about graphics and display, and there were 5 or 6 sound output options which included my monitor and the Headphone jack.

I have searched for a solution but the closest I could find was this post (macOS Catalina Intel Graphics Problem) by guiabreuuuuu who seemed to have similar graphical issues, however, their system used Intel Graphics HD 620.

Being new to the Hackintosh scene, I'm not sure if the solution suggested in the above post is applicable for the issues I'm experiencing.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar to myself and whether there was a solution for it.

Happy to provide further info if required to troubleshoot this issue(s).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dock.png
    dock.png
    908 KB · Views: 55
  • displays-about-this-mac.png
    displays-about-this-mac.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 49
  • display-sys-pref.png
    display-sys-pref.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 52
  • sound-output-sys-pref.png
    sound-output-sys-pref.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 42
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar to myself and whether there was a solution for it.
If Intel MEBx VPRO has been disabled at the factory it's possible that could cause these problems. See the section at the beginning of the guide for how to determine this. If that is set to 1 and working properly than something else is causing you lack of graphics acceleration. You could upload your Clover folder for review.

Another important note about using HD4000. You can access MEBx by pressing the Control and P keys together immediately at boot up. If those keys don't do anything, then it may have been disabled at the factory on your Optiplex. To confirm, open up the side panel and look at the white sticker on the underside. If you see the number 3 and ME Disabled or 6 & ME Lockout it has been factory disabled. This only applies of course if the side panel is the original one from the factory.

AMT_DASH_VPRO should be 1 for your HD4000 graphics to work properly.

Last edited:
If Intel MEBx VPRO has been disabled at the factory it's possible that could cause these problems. See the section at the beginning of the guide for how to determine this. If that is set to 1 and working properly than something else is causing you lack of graphics acceleration. You could upload your Clover folder for review.

Another important note about using HD4000. You can access MEBx by pressing the Control and P keys together immediately at boot up. If those keys don't do anything, then it may have been disabled at the factory on your Optiplex. To confirm, open up the side panel and look at the white sticker on the underside. If you see the number 3 and ME Disabled or 6 & ME Lockout it has been factory disabled. This only applies of course if the side panel is the original one from the factory.

AMT_DASH_VPRO should be 1 for your HD4000 graphics to work properly.

Hi trs96,

Thanks for your assistance.

My MEBx is 1 and I went through setting my password for this. I recall as I had trouble initially until I found out that my new password has to fulfil other criteria other than just being 8 characters long (refer this document by Intel). I did this when I initially installed Mojave on the HDD that came with the computer at the beginning of the year. I even changed the thermal CPU paste and CMOS battery as per the guide.

Can I ask, if this was the case then would this not be an issue from the get go? I only ask as it was working fine, i.e. none of the issues I mention above, post-install until a reboot or two later...

I've attached my config.plist file for you. Is this useful? I can't seem to attach the whole Clover folder.

One thing I will mention is that, in troubling shooting the issue myself, I did update to the latest versions of WhateverGreen (1.4.1), Lilu (1.4.6) and AppleALC (1.5.0). However, I was experiencing the issues prior to updating to the latest versions.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 67
I have a 7010 dt. I have Black screen in clover boot in 2k monitor dell. I dont see anything to choose macos or windows. No problem with fhd monitor.

The graphical issues that I've noticed are a loss of transparency on the dock (image attached) and ghosting when the mouse moves over some parts of the screen.
Do you have any other monitors that are newer you could connect to and see if you get the same results ? If using a DP to HDMI adapter or cable you might try a different one to rule out problems with that too. If it's not a hardware issue there is something else causing a lack of graphics acceleration.
Overview tab of the About This Mac is fairly generic ('Display 7 MB')
Would need your Clover folder with serials removed to find the cause. Compress it first then attach it.

Last edited:
Its a new model dell 2k. I have connect 2 monitors 1 2k and 1 fhd. If the fhd is the first its ok

Its a new model dell 2k. I have connect 2 monitors 1 2k and 1 fhd. If the fhd is the first its ok
That reply was for iPaul-SE

I have connect 2 monitors 1 2k and 1 fhd. If the fhd is the first its ok
You'll probably need to change the monitor resolution in the config.plist to be able to see the Clover Boot menu. Search in the graphics forum for a solution.

Last edited:
Back