Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

I want 2 ssd (Catalina and win10) and 1 hard drive for data. The dell 7010 dt have only 3 sata. Can i fit an pcie convert for nvme or sata pcie ssd?
Careful about the SATA port selection. I only got SATA 2 speeds on the white one. I had to use the blue one to get SATA 3 speeds on my SSD.

It's so easy to clone your system drive these days I really don't know why some people fail to do this. Murphy's Law is still in effect for hacks as much as any other mechanical/electrical device. Things happen, data gets lost, it's just a part of the nature of tech.

I got one Dell Kace M300 arm computer for about $14 and put a rusty 750GB 2.5" hard drive in, installed Debian and time machine on that little old arm machine. Works like a charm.

I just completed me CustomMac install on a Dell 7010 with an I7, 16GB of RAM, and 500 GB SSD. I think I will really enjoy it but why does it still show Clover and take some extra time at boot time? I followed the instruction to make the drive bootable so I was not expecting to Clover again.

I think I will really enjoy it but why does it still show Clover and take some extra time at boot time? I followed the instruction to make the drive bootable so I was not expecting to Clover again.
That's the Clover boot menu. That appears at boot up so you can multiboot with Windows or Linux and select another OS to boot into. You can set the timeout to 0 in your config.plist if you don't want to see the boot menu screen.

Open the config.plist with CC and then toggle the timeout.

Screen_Shot_11.jpg

Last edited:
Upped to .6 with no incident. Music app seems slightly little less terrible. Probably last major update for the last X. :(
How did you update it? Should one just let system update do its job?

How did you update it? Should one just let system update do its job?
Make sure you've at least got a backup of your EFI folder or a Unibeast drive if there are any issues with the update. Using System Update should work fine.

Would it be possible to move from clover to OC ?
Eventually, not just yet. While you're on Catalina keep using Clover. We've yet to test the Optiplex with Big Sur as it's only in pre public beta stage.

I have an optiplex 9010 with an AMD rx580 running Catalina, everything is working perfectly, except I can't watch Netflix in safari. It seems its an issue with the iGPU, but I'm not sure. Do you guys have a fix for this? My processor is a 3770 and there is a 3 on the cover. I can't watch appletv+ either

Last edited:
Back